Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Hoping for Help

[Da...]

About 2 months ago I had a health scare I did not handle well. I unfortunately ended up using my “as needed” Xanax on a daily basis, multiple times a day. It’s been about a month and I take .25mg 3x/day.

Luckily the health scare is gone, but now I’m scared of how to taper off safely. I sadly tried cold turkey only to be kicked in the butt with shaking, anxiety, insomnia…I understand this has been a low dose over a short period of time, but I’d rather nip this in the bud before it becomes a bigger problem.

My primary dr put me on lexapro last week to help alleviate any withdrawal like symptoms, but that takes upwards of 3-4 weeks to fully kick in. I feel stuck.

Hello  DaveInN :hug: Welcome to Benzobuddies

I am glad that you joined the community.  I am sorry about your health scare,  glad it turned out okay. How long have you been using the Xanax as needed? You are making a good decision in tapering off, tapering slow can help minimize withdrawal effects.  It’s generally recommended to reduce between 5-10% every 10-14 day, it is ok to adjust this schedule, depending how you feel, whatever feels comfortable.  You’ll get plenty of support and encouragement along the way. Please feel free to browse the boards and post questions to any of the dedicated threads.

The Ashton Manual, is a great resource for understanding the effect benzo’s  have on our body.  It provides withdrawal information and includes a list of common symptoms 

I'll leave you a few links:

The Ashton Manual

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidelines

Planning Your Withdrawal (TaperPlans)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

You might like to post to this support group:

The Xanax Club

Please take time to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita

Thanks for the response.

I had the prescription for years,  but rarely used it. Only for flying tbh. Sadly, that meant I had a pretty big supply to take advantage of when the health scare happened.

I’m assuming that even though it’s only been weeks since I’ve been dependent on Xanax, that doesn’t change the withdrawal symptoms longevity or severity?

Hi Dave

If you've been taking Xanax daily for about 2 months, then I would start slow.  It will depend on how you feel when you start reducing, taper at a rate that is manageable.  If you feel you can go a little quicker, then thats up to you.  It doesn't seem to matter how long or what dose with these drugs, short termers can suffer just the same as a long termer.

Take care.

Magrita :thumbsup: