Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Long time sufferer

[US...]

Veterans Administration head of Pysch service prescribed me three different Benzos.  After a couple of months I told him that I wasn't sure if we were treating symptoms or side effects. His response was to discontinue all three immediately with no taper.  I had approximately 18 months of hell trying to stabilize.

At that time I was prescribed Zoloft and Amitriptyline, hoping to help with the withdrawal problems.  I'm now trying to taper off the Amitriptyline and many of the Benzo withdrawal problems have resurfaced.

Hello USMCDoc, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I’ve often complained about the fact that our military members have been loaded up with benzodiazepines with no regard to the damage they can do once we become dependent on them and the severe damage withdrawal can create, I’m so sorry you were put in this situation.

Too many doctors prescribe so called comfort meds that can be as problematic to get off of as benzo’s.  I’m sorry you’re in this situation but we’ll do our best to support you as you taper from the Amitriptyline, we understand how terrible these symptoms can be.

I’ll provide some links to help you get started on the forum but please let us know what you need.

Pamster

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Ashton Manual symptom list

Post-withdrawal Recovery Support