Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Insomnia before withdrawal

[An...]

Hello Ann 01, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

It’s quite common for benzodiazepines to begin to cause the issues we first took them to resolve such as insomnia, anxiety, panic, restless legs, tinnitus to name a few but what it causes is typically much worse than the normal stuff.

How long have you been at this dose, your body may be tolerant to this dose and you need to increase it, or taper from it.

I’ll provide some links for you but please let us know what you need help with.

Pamster

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Ashton Manual symptom list

I have been prescribed this horrible drug for 20 years. Started out as 1/2 mg went up to 2 mg in august due to stress of having so many seizures in a couple months time. I have epilepsy and my main trigger is no sleep.

I am currently tapering and am on 3/4 mg.

While I was even on the 2 mg no sleep.

It’s been over a year with this problem and am at my wits end. Can’t function on the days of no sleep and when I do get sleep it’s only few hours.

Reading benzo buff it all talks about after coming off I want some kind of feedback of someone else with this problem. I even seen a dr at Nortwestern in Chicago they don’t even say for sure this is the problem.

My son says after being off it for 6 months sleep will return????? This is not life living

I just want to know if the insomnia is truly from long term use of benzos.

Not one sleep aid has worked for me doctors tried them all. I guess they work on the same gaba receptors as benzos from what I was told and that’s why they don’t work

Been on benzos for over 20 years for over a year have insomnia is this from long term use

I think mine was Ann, but nothing for certain.  I still have it occasionally but I get better sleep if I am physically active during the day, but not too active.  A friend mentioned "it's tricky" meaning the amount of physical moving about I do, but not overdoing so that I'm kind of "too tired" to sleep good. 

One thing I've started doing is trying to take a Magnesium (epsom salt) bath with my Peppermint Essential Oil drops added for my sinuses.  I've been walking for years, and still try to get in at least 3-4 walks a week.  I also joined a gym about a year ago, which has all been good for me in lots of ways, but, have to admit, I still get insomnia once in awhile.  I guess it is tricky stuff, Denise  :smitten: PS I tried melatonin helped me sleep, but I felt more tired early on in the day even at 3 mg, so tossed that out.  Also had read some others info on their experience with it that was negative also.

Anyone else out there with severe insomnia issues after prolonged use of Klonopin?

Was put on half mg over 20 yrs ago was put on 2mg August of 2022. Tapering down now on 3/4 mg.

I have had this insomnia for over a year now and even when the Klonopin was increased did not help with insomnia or even anxiety… knew it was time to come off. Back then doctors never told us what these drugs really are about and the long term effects… just trusted dr and took what he prescribed.

I have epilepsy and I will have breakthrough seizures if no or lack of sleep it’s my main trigger.

Been on every sleep med known to mankind nothing works.

Just looking for some more input from people in same situations

You’re pretty much guaranteed to have insomnia as you taper and as you recover so I don’t know what your options are to prevent more seizures.  We can’t say when recovery will happen, typical timeframe is between 1-2 years but it can go longer so I don’t know what your answer is, and it doesn’t sound like your doctors do either.

My friends I need guidance. These Klonopin withdrawals are horrible. Can’t tell anymore if it’s withdrawal or the drug induced feeling all the same. Down to 3/4 mg and even if I took another pill wouldn’t help me just set me back.

My friends I need guidance. These Klonopin withdrawals are horrible. Can’t tell anymore if it’s withdrawal or the drug induced feeling all the same. Down to 3/4 mg and even if I took another pill wouldn’t help me just set me back.

It would help us help you if you put your medication history into your signature, here are the instructions. Add your history/signature

How long has it been since you reduced your dose and how much did you reduce it by?