Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Jt1991

[Jt...]

Hello Jt1991, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

Can you tell us a little more about your situation, what benzo, how long, how are you tapering?  We suggest reducing by about 5-10% every couple of weeks or when your symptoms settle enough to reduce again.

We’re glad you found us, and we look forward to hearing more of your story.

Pamster

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Ashton Manual symptom list

I am a 61 year old male.  Have been on sleeping medication of one type or the other since about the age of 24 <>.  Have seen “sleep doctors” in my life and each one has a different diagnosis.  In my family of 5, 4 of us have insomnia and anxiety disorder.    Everything was going good with sleeping meds until the medical community decided that benzos were bad and my psych has constantly been on my back since 2019 to get off the benzos that she has given me.  The constant nagging keeps me tense and I can’t relax because I don’t feel I have the support of my doctor.  I have taking Xanax XR-1mg, Xanax IR-2mg and Temazepam-30mg at bedtime for ability 8 years and have been doing fine, except for the constant nagging.  Just tried lunesta3-mg and it gave me a sinus infection. So that is off my list.  I’m currently taking valerian root-500mg, Temazepam-30mg and the last med is rotated between Benadryl capsules, Benadryl liquid or CBD gummies.  If I can get off Xanax I don’t know what I’m going to take to replace it, because Rx sleeping meds cost major $$$.

Had to go to eye doctor today because I’m experiencing visual disturbances due to withdrawal.

Insomnia, oh man, do we see a lot of that around here!  I’m sorry you have this chronic condition but can you clarify for me what your Xanax dose is at present?  Are you still taking 2 mg ir and 1 mg xr or have you started to reduce them?

Visual disturbances are common too, did the doctor suggest anything?