Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

I'm so thrilled to find this "family"!

[pu...]

I am 82 yrs old, widow, live alone in silence and read alot.  I was a vowed nun for 7 yrs, left and married, then returned to the convent when my hsb died.  My insomnia is 10 yrs old; he's been gone 25 so I don't think that's the cause.  I have other med conditions that I can manage IF I CAN SLEEP.  That's why the Dr prescribed Temazepam 4 yrs ago.  I've been on 15mg nightly, boosted with .5mg Xanax and Dr will no longer prescribe.  I am hoping to transition to CBD/CBN gummies; has anyone had success with this approach?  I'm so thrilled to find "experts"; the Drs are so dismissive:(:(:(

Hello punkiepie! Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

So sorry you suffer with insomnia.  Is your doctor willing to continue to prescribe long enough for you to taper carefully off temazepam and Xanax?  That would help make quitting these drugs as comfortable as possible whereas a too rapid taper could set you up for a much harder time.  We often suggest bringing this document to an appointment because it's evidence based and concise so your doctor may be more receptive to it: Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance

We're glad you found us!  You've come to the right place for good information and support from others who understand what this process is like.  We encourage you to explore the site and ask lots of questions. Please be sure to reach out for the support you need.  Here are a few links to help get you started:

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Success Stories

Chapter 3 Ashton manual, list of symptoms

Add your history/signature

We're glad you're here!

Brighterday

Hi punkiepie,

Are you trying to get rid of the Xanax only? Or the Temazepam as well?

I hope you will do one at a time and VERY slowly.

If your doctors is not willing to prescribe enough, would you consider changing doctors?

The withdrawal journey can be very unpleasant and at 82 it is a lot to ask of your body and mind.

I did try CBD, cannabis vaping and cannabis oil but it didn’t help me. It does help many though.

I’m glad you’ve found us and can be a fellow buddy.

Hardy x

Thank you so much for your warm welcome!  I feel supported in my search/struggle already,  I'm not a techie so I have to learn how to stay involved and respond to the kind information you offer.  Will be working diligently at it daily; am just reducing .5mg xanax to .25 right now while continuing with 15mg temazepam.  Dr (primary) recommended this last Friday; I feel like he will be helpful; he's with Kaiser.  My psychiatrist just dumped me 3 weeks ago because I "don't have a psychiatric problem, and I'm a psychiatrist.  You just have insomnia":(:(:(  So happy to connect with fellow pilgrims on this healing path.  Thanks a million!