Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Xanax caused my Tinnitus

[Gr...]

Dear all,

4 years ago during quitting Xanax cold Turkey after 7-10 days of use I developed Tinnitus. It doesn’t bother me a lot now since I don’t pay attention to it, however I am considering taking Xanax again occasionally 0.5 - 1 mg once a week or every two weeks, therefore I am a bit worried if it may or it may not make my tinnitus go worse so I am in need to collect information on this forum and speak with people.

Shake your hand on the distance.

Hello  Grace888  :hug:  Welcome to BenzoBuddies! 

You are welcome to look around and research. You are right benzos can cause tinnitus, it is one of the many symptoms of benzo withdrawal. Why would you want to take them again it might make things far worse, occasional use can lead to dependency.  You are free to post and ask questions, I am sure members will give advice.

Whatever you choose to do we are here for you.

I will leave a few links for you to check out.

The Ashton Manual

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidelines

Post-withdrawal Recovery Support

Members can respond with the best information if they know your medication history.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita

It can make tinnitud worse. Not to mention give you many more problems that make tinnitus seem like a luxury issue. Trust me on this.

Agree with Rebecca!! They put me on rivotril as safe sleeping aid with tinnitus while my tinnitus was from cortizone withdrawal. I wish I had stuck it out. Tinnitus is the least of my issues now.

I agree with everything others said under your post Grace, I have tinnitus from years of using in clonazepam.  I have many other issues that are all listed as side-effects like tremors, and I had the whole left side of my body go numb when I tried to go off the drug, with my doctors help, but he and I decided to big of cuts.

But from all I've been able to find on BB, I have the best chance of having my body healed of everything the drug has caused, but if I'm my body doesn't heal, it will still be a triumph for me to be free of the drug.  I hope you'll stay with us, and there is a tinnitus "group" thread you can look and see how many folks have T because of the drugs.

It's your choice to make though, and there's so much info you can read about withdrawing to life after you have already taken your last pill :)  I've adapted to my tinnitus, and only started my tapering off the Clonazepam or they call it C here to shorten things up ;)  I have lots of tricks to help with my T I can share with you, and mine actually began to go away at times even before I started my cuts.  I had changed my diet and may have helped some, but like I said, I believe I have a good chance of some healing if I stick with the tapering.  :smitten::thumbsup: