Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Realizing my Actions

[Pi...]

Hi

I need to get off the benzo.

I'd been on xanax for around 15 years/7 days a week. My dose was .5 in the morning and 1.5 in the evening. Last month my psychiatrist mentioned that they were going to stop prescribing xanax, but she didn't know when. This month I found out that she wasn't prescribing it anymore and switched me to Klonopin. Currently on .5 in the morning and 1.5 in the evening. I didn't realize until last year about the problems of benzos.

I feel spaced out, irritable, dizzy, bad tinnitus, horrible balance, and glad to get to bed to take the night time dose.

I've ruined relationships because of this.

Hello Piper1962 :hug: Welcome to Benzobuddies

I am so pleased you joined this forum. I’m sorry you’re  struggling with symptoms right now. You will probably need some time to stabilise on the Klonopin before starting a taper.  BB is an excellent place for resources and support. You will get plenty of help and encouragement to get you through this.  You might find it  scary at first like most of us do, but I promise.. you can do this.

You might like to check out The Ashton Manual it is an authoritative source on what to expect in withdrawal and recovery.  Dr. Ashton  was an expert in the field.   Chapter III lists common symptoms it describes and explains them.

Please feel free to post to any of the dedicated boards, we have a wonderful community of people here, who will give sound advice. Members have been through all aspects of benzodiazepine use and withdrawal and are more than willing to share their experiences.

I'll leave you a few links:

The Ashton Manual

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidelines

Planning Your Withdrawal(TaperPlans)

Withdrawal Support

If you would like to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita

Hi

I need to get off the benzo.

I'd been on xanax for around 15 years/7 days a week. My dose was .5 in the morning and 1.5 in the evening. Last month my psychiatrist mentioned that they were going to stop prescribing xanax, but she didn't know when. This month I found out that she wasn't prescribing it anymore and switched me to Klonopin. Currently on .5 in the morning and 1.5 in the evening. I didn't realize until last year about the problems of benzos.

I feel spaced out, irritable, dizzy, bad tinnitus, horrible balance, and glad to get to bed to take the night time dose.

I've ruined relationships because of this.

That last sentence came right out of my diary, but I didn't know about the benzos either when I was put on them 35 years ago.  I've learned about them the hard way trying to just not refill a script, huge mistake.  A friend found me wandering around a parking lot at Walmart, pretty much delirious.  She got me an appt. with my doctor and he refilled my prescription after 3 days of bad withdrawals I don't even want to mention.

Anyway, I've learned a lot here about how the drug works in our bodies, and especially our brains but most of all, I've learned the best ways, imo, to wean myself off this one a day pill ;)  Stick with us, lots of folks that understand here, lots of info when we are up to reading, and best for me is that I'm surrounded, finally, with people that have either been where I am, or are in similar parts of the journey to freedom, Denise :smitten::thumbsup: PS  I'm alone and I believe it is because of the drug, and my lack of knowledge of that drug.  I was on Clonazepam btw.  Some info in my signature ;)