Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Low cortisol... is hydrocortisone risky?

[fu...]

My salivar cortisol levels are low, most of the days I barely have energy to even do online appointments due to stress intolerance and sensory overload.

It may be due to the lack of cortisol. Can hydrocortisone revv my symptoms up if taken in low doses?

Anyone here that used it?

Your thoughts and experiences are welcomed.

It works similarly to benzos so I'd be careful if I were you.

Careful such as avoiding or using microdoses in the short term?

I read his post, I don't know what to do as some stuff didn't work to me I guess. I felt so much worse when I cut gluten and dairy for weeks. This is an answer I gave in another group:

"As for the substitutions, I increased rice and fruits in my diet in terms of carbs. Maybe still there was a nutricional deficiency due to maybe not consuming stuff that wheat have.

With all the respect and just sharing to try to help others to not experience what I did: I am still skeptical regarding withdrawal not existing. Gluten has opioid effects due to some of its components and it seems like both gluten and dairy presents a form of morphine (gluteomorphin and casomorphin). Considering the sedative properties of these, removing it cold turkey in an already oversensitive brain could be very tough I guess.

I decided to cut both after being diagnosed with pangastritis due to a gastroenterologist recommendation and given that I am intolerant to lactose according to a lactose prove test using a serum.

I thought that it would only help me as gluten has glutamate, and I would also eliminate inflammatory reactions from my system. But then I got very bad for weeks after addering to a gluten and dairy free diet. I only connected the dots later. My baseline blood pressure that was 120s/80s weeks ago dropped to 90s/60s more or less, but more than the numbers, the lack of mental energy was brutal.

After googling some of these subjects and finding some interesting articles and some reports on reddit of people that had lots of issues, I thought that for someone oversensitive due to benzos and preg doing such a change in the diet could be detrimental. All I experienced lasted too long (I reintroduced gluten in my diet) and the timing was too coincidental with no changes in my meds to think it was just a wave.

Maybe I am very wrong on this, but boy I regret trying cutting gluten and dairy not being well informed about their other properties and some annedoctal reports (I know this is not the best parameter but if there are many complaints it's still evidence to some degree at least for me)."