Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Hi to All

[Fl...]

Came across this site via reddit forums. Had very little understanding of discontinuing diazapam. Low dose of 5-10mg daily. Perscribed over about 6 years. Instructed by psych to come off the diazapam after diagnosis of ADHD and stimulant medication. Here to read and learn and repair. Thanks

Hello Floyd70, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

You’re wise to do your homework before embarking on this journey, it requires commitment and determination.  Did your doctor provide any guidance for a taper?  We suggest reducing by about 5-10% every couple of weeks but using your symptoms to guide you is even better, this can hopefully keep you functional.

Have you ever discontinued benzodiazepines before, this can play a part in the withdrawal process so its good to have all of the necessary information upfront.

I’ll provide some links to help you learn about what you’re facing but please, let us know how we can help.

Pamster

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Ashton Manual symptom list

Hi. Thanks for links and your reply. :)

Have had chronic anxiety since early childhood.

Has been chronic to point where it has misguided direction of my life and over long period impacted on health. I actively sought out valium from gp as    I was aging it was becoming more difficult to function. So was perscribed about 5 years ago. Have visited gp every 2-3 months since to obtain script. After my daughter was diagnosed with adhd last year I also sought a diagnosis. Was perscribed dex and first few months of treatment daily valium pretty much ceased. Strange as it seems I didn't really take note of this as Waa more focussed on what was going on with new medication. Anyway about month 6 weeks into dex anxiety returned and started to build. I recon now it was largely cause I discontinued valium..with occasional use here and there..asked psych to switch to conceta 54mg. During about two weeks when switch of meds was happening I dosed valium up and down all  ..though still not more than 10mg a day. When switched to concerta I again stopped valium ct. Assuming it would have similar effect to dex and decrease my general anxiety levels. 10 days in got intense physical withdrawals which I thought were side effects of stimulant. Persisted for another 5 days. Concerta was multiplying cns withdrawal symptoms. Stopped concerta reinstated valiium at 5mg per day and had dex left over so started taking low dose of that. Withdrawal symptoms stabilised after 3 days.. stupidly I then wasn't sure still if reaction was caused by concerta stimulant or discontinuing vslium so decided to test by restarting concerta and stopping valium. 10 days in withdrawal symptoms started again. This time finally sunk in!!and was now could at least realise what withdrawal symptoms felt like. Only then did I start to read online about tapering. Reinstated valium at 2.5mg per day. ( 2x1.25mg morning and night) went back to dex. Was bit rough I work for myself and largely by myself so was able to keep going somewhat. 2 weeks later went to gp and got 2mg tablets. After gp visit cut to 2mg (1mgx2 morning a night). Stayed on that for 14 days. Again after 10 days withdrawal symptoms lasted about 4 days. I have in general a lot of pain going on in body and fatigue thus has been for a number of years ongoing. It's hard to tell what pain is aggrevated by withdrawal. Though acute symptoms are generally lasting 4 days or so. 2 weeks later cut to 1.5mg. ( 0.25mg morning and 1.25mg night) felt withdrawal symptoms day after cut. Wast sure why and freaked out a bit so adjusted cut to 1.75mg (0.5mg morning 1.25mg night) . Also had been taking low dose dex along side thus. Dex helps with mood and energy but not sure if it is exasperating situation definitely now know the concerta dkes.. Need to talk with psych. ?  Feel as if things are getting more difficult with cuts now. In two minds as if to push through and continue cuts 0

5mg or 0.25mg every 2 weeks. Or hold. Prob with holding as taper has gone so quick not sure what body pain is withdrawal related and what is not. Feel have made lot of ignorant errors and could be in for karmic slap once I jump.:(

Oh my, your use of Valium is concerning, all of the changes you’ve been making are a shock to your central nervous system, no wonder you’ve felt so unstable.  Combine that with not knowing what could be causing what makes for a frustrating and painful situation.

Valium is tough, because its long lasting (which is a good thing), decisions to change the dose need to be made slowly with plenty of time in between changes to allow the change to take effect.

I tend to blame pretty everything on benzo’s but I can see you’re not certain, so I feel holding is a good option, it may help you sort it out.  Rushing off of the drug can mean more intense symptoms which means the majority of your healing will have to take place after you’re off the drug.  By going slowly and allowing for healing on the way down, you can use the drug to mitigate your symptoms, once off the drug, you’ll be at their mercy.

Yes you are right on all accounts. It has been somewhat of a hectic few months. I have now stopped the stimulant and have reinstated the dose of diazapam at 2mg. 1mg morning and 1mg night. Looking through the forums and bit of searching through internet. I am planning to do a liqid/tablet hybrid taper as described by user Slowandsteady. I found this formula for liquid diazapam :

Diazepam Oral Liquid

Diazepam tablets 

Ethanol 95% 5 mL

Methylcellulose 1 g Parabens 0.1 %

Glycerol 20 mL

Water to 100 mL

Expiry:

30 days.

Will ignore the Methylcellulose 1 g Parabens 0.1 % and use ratio of rest of ingredients. People have mentioned storing in opaque glass medicine bottle and refrigerate. Also another suggestion on forums was to use micro pipette instead of syringe for dosage.

Another comment read that..Stability and solubility is increased in mixed solvent systems of water, ethanol and propylene glycol...though thinking the glycerol to be bit more benign. Both reducing amount of alcohol required overall.

So have another week or so to gather few things to make liquid mixture and then see how it goes. Will stick as suggested to recommended 10% or less cut for next few months and see if I can stabilise current physical symptoms.

You’ve been doing your homework, very good.  In case you weren’t aware, liquid Valium is available from the manufacturer if you’re located in a country that allows it.

Thanks. I will keep that in mind when i next have to see my gp. I have about a month of tablets. Being a mix of 2mg and 5mg. Expect to hold for a bit now to see if I can get any improvement in symptoms. The cns has taken a bash to date. Not really sure why I took the approach I did. Largely stupidity and ego. With wealth of experience here on this forum at least I can no longer claim ignorance. See you

I hope holding provides some relief, let us know if you need help with your taper, liquid Valium/diazepam is useful for tapering but there can be a slight adjustment period so if you do decide to use it, don’t reduce right away, give your body time to acclimate.