Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Xanax to ativan for taper

[El...]

I started on .25 mg of xanax am and pm in 1991.  Due to many life stressors, by 2023, I was up to 3-4 mg of xanax spaced throughout the day (latest does at night for sleep).  In January 2023, I started to feel toxic.  I decided to taper (without the support of my doctor).  I got down to 1.25 mg xanax evenly distributed throughout the day.  I was having a pretty hefty withdrawal between doses, including terrible insomnia, nausea, and unable to perform normal tasks around the house.  I just went to a new doctor.  He has taken me off the xanax and put me on .75 mg of ativan 4 times per day.  His idea for my tapering is to reduce .25 mg every two weeks to a month.  So far I am not having any interdose withdrawal...just extreme fatique, "jumpiness"and some insomnia.  Since I cannot see the doctor for another five weeks, is it safe for me to start a taper of .25 mg at my 8 am dosage time and hold that for two weeks?  Does this sound like a good plan?

Hello  EllieM :hug: Welcome to benzobuddies.

I am so glad that you joined the forum, you’ve joined a very supportive community.  You'll find plenty of information and receive lots of support along the way.  Slow is the best with benzodiazepines, I would go slower.  Please do some research around the forum, post to any of the dedicated boards, our members are knowledgeable, and will help with any questions you might have. It can be scary at first, but remember any symptoms are temporary, you will come through this ordeal.

It’s generally suggested reducing no faster than 5-10% every 10-14 days,  many taper slower than that, it depends on withdrawal symptoms. Taper at a rate that’s comfortable, the goal is to remain functional.  Having some withdrawal symptoms is normal.  The most common symptoms are anxiety and insomnia.  Withdrawal symptoms are temporary and do go away with some time.

I recommend that you take a look at The Ashton Manual, It provides a great deal of information that can be very reassuring during any stage of this process. The manual includes a list of common symptoms with helpful explanations. . CHAPTER III

Here a few links to resources:

The Ashton Manual 

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidelines

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

There is a support blog here dedicated to members who are tapering from Ativan, I will give you a link to it.  I'm sure the members there will be happy to assist you with advice.

Ativan Tapering Thread

If you would like to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome Aboard

Magrita