Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

BIG MISTAKE

[Be...]

Hi there all I am really new to this so sorry for not have the best written piece... I just start by saying I have taken diazepam for a number of years on and off... I would usually take between 20 to 40 mg a time. I suffer from panic  disorder which stops me doing a fair bit. My kids have come to an age where they r asking if we can go on a plane etc... so after a while I decided to get on a plane to Amsterdam just to try it. BIG MISTAKE I ended up.coming home on the Saturday night I only arrived there Friday morning... I ended up taking 200mg of diazepam in 2 days... after prob a few days of being back I felt ill deporsonalization real strong. I realised I'm coming of a massive dose.. I've had.many symptoms most racing thoughts ...anxiety .. deporsonalization is the worst lol... I decided enough is enough and gave em in. That was 5 weeks ago.... old turkey is bad but it will stop. I promise any one struggling it will stop im still in and out of deporsonalization but I'm just learning to deal with it... once u have been threw a diazepam withdrawl u can do anything.. good luck to all and just don't give in. All the best

Hi Benzolee :hug: Welcome to Benzobuddies

I'm glad you are here, and slowly recovering. Thats a huge amount to just stop abruptly, but you seem to be coping, well done to you.  Its amazing what we learn with hindsight, we all make mistakes, I wish I'd known more about these devil drugs.  Symptoms must have been horrendous, I know mine were... and I did a taper.  I know what dp/dr is like, but I also know it will get better with time.  You have to  try to distract yourself from symptoms the best you can.  You’ve come to a really good place for support, we have a great community of caring members.  You will be able to connect with others who understand what you're going through.  Please post any questions for our members to respond.

Check out The Ashton Manual, reading this will give you a better understanding on why you feel the way you do.  It is a great resource for understanding the effect benzo’s have on our body, It also includes a list of common symptoms 

Here are a few links to resources:

The Ashton Manual

Post withdrawal recovery support.  this is a good place to start posting any questions you may have. 

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidelines   

Cold Turkey, Detox& Rapid Withdrawal

If you would like to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita

Hi there yeh it Is a lot I phoned Doctor when I got back and he said I don't no what u shud do for the best... I asked him shall I take some more then taper off he eventually said no u may aswell take no more. I do think its mad how they hand these drugs out.but I also see from there side aswll.

Hi again Benzolee

It depends on symptoms, if they are unbearable, then you might consider reinstating.  There is a window for reinstatement, generally thought to be no more than 2-4 weeks, you are just outside that.  There is no guarantee that reinstatement will work, sometimes it does, other times it does not.

If you did decide to reinstate and then taper slowly, it's best to reinstate to the lowest dose that alleviates some of the withdrawal symptoms. From that point it would be good to stabilize before beginning a slow and sensible taper.

If you continue to tough it out, It will get better but it takes time.

Good Luck, lets know if you need any help

Magrita :smitten:

Thank-you for reply.... I'm sorry to read ur story u had a hard time.  I wouldn't take em again I'd rather have a full blown panic attack. I feel I'm over the worst felt much worse a week ago. How are you now. Ate u doing well now?

Thanks for asking, I am doing great. I did have a tough time but if needed I would do it again to have what I have today.  Withdrawal is up and down, members describe it  "like a roller coaster ride". it does eventually settle down, we do get our lives back.  Time is our healer and some healthy living, avoiding sugar, stimulants like coffee, alcohol, they can rev up symptoms.

Wishing you well.

Magrita  :thumbsup: