Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Just starting ativan taper and am scared

[ti...]

Hello,

My name is Tina and I have been taking 1 mg of Ativan twice daily for  over 6 years and am just beginning the tapering process.  I am a "young"  59 year old with a lot of stress and anxiety.  New PCP is working with me to slowly taper off.  He says will take 8 months to a year. 

Reduced my morning dose to .75 mg 2 weeks ago and still taking 1mg in the evening.  I was doing ok until today.  I felt like I wanted to jump out of my skin.  This came and went throughout the day.  Had dry mouth, could not focus, insomina last night and felt muscle weakness when standing up.

Is this normal for some people to feel this way after reducing just a little bit? 

Any tips for how to stop the wanting to jump out of your skin?  Felt a little like restless leg syndrome but all over my body.

Am so thankful for this forum.

Thank you

I appreciate this forum and am so thankful it is here.

Hello  Tina  :hug:  Welcome to BenzoBuddies! 

I’m glad you’ve found us, you’ve come to a great place for support.  I know your scared, I was terrified, It wasn’t pleasant but it’s the best thing I ever did.  You’ve done great to start your taper.  I’m glad your getting support.  Yes it’s normal to get these very unpleasant symptoms, bear in mind, they are temporary.  We will help and encourage you through the rest of the way.  Browse the forum post questions our members are knowledgeable and will offer you support.

It’s generally advised to reduce between 5/10% 10/14 days.  This rate can be too fast for many of us  taper at a rate you feel comfortable with. You can learn more about tapering on our taper plans board.

If you check out the Ashton Manual, you will find It is a valuable resource for learning about benzos and the effect these drugs have on our body.  it lists  possible withdrawal symptoms symptoms 

I'll leave you  a couple of links:

The Ashton Manual

Planning Your Withdrawal(TaperPlans)

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidelines

Anxiety 

You might wish to post to this support thread:

Ativan Tapering Thread

If you would like to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita