Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

My journey

[Pe...]

I was prescribed 2.5 mg of Ativan per day for migraines. I’ve been on them for six months I am afraid to taper due to my migraines worsening and anxiety. I have had daily vestibular migraines for the  last nine months. They Allow me to function and do daily tasks like walking, taking care of my children. I would like to taper, but my doctor wants to taper me too quickly. I need advice to do a slow taper or just get info about tapering so I can speak to my doctor About doing a slower taper.

Hello Pelaton :hug: Welcome to benzobuddies.

We are glad you joined.  You’ve joined a very supportive community.  I hope your doctor will support a slow taper, or at least provide enough pills, we can help you here.  Slow is the best way with benzos, some members choose Titration to slow the process right down.  You'll find plenty of information and receive lots of support along the way.  Post to any of the dedicated boards, our members are knowledgeable, and will help with any questions you might have.

It’s generally suggested reducing no faster than 5-10% every 10-14 days,  many find this too fast and taper slower than that, it depends on withdrawal symptoms. Taper at a rate that’s comfortable, the goal is to remain functional.  Having some withdrawal symptoms is normal.  The most common symptoms are anxiety and insomnia.  Withdrawal symptoms are temporary and do go away with some time.

I recommend that you take a look at The Ashton Manual, It provides a great deal of information that can be very reassuring during any stage of this process. The manual includes a list of common symptoms with helpful explanations. . CHAPTER III

Here a few links to resources:

The Ashton Manual 

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidelines

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

There is a support blog here dedicated to members who are tapering from Ativan I will give you a link to it.  I'm sure the members there will be happy to assist you with advice.

Ativan Tapering Thread

If you would like to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome Aboard

Magrita