Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Tapering prescription diazepam

[Ab...]

Hello

I have been slowly tapering diazepam, which seems to have taken the form of 3 stages. I started taking this benzodiazepine 5 years for managing trauma ,as prescribed by my GP. 15mg daily.

Overtime, during stages 1 and2, I have reduced the daily amount to 5mg.

More recently, I have reduced the  dose  to  2.75mg.

I  receive no support from my Doctor.  This can be a very lonely and frightening place to be. The withdrawal symptoms are extremely  difficult to live with to say the least. Any info/ support gratefully received.

Hello Ab123, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

Congratulations on reducing your dose by so much, how are you feeling?  We know not many understand what we go through, some won’t even acknowledge it, say it’s in our heads or the return of our original condition, it hurts to not get the validation when this is for most of us the worst experience of our lives.

Are you dry cutting your tablets and how often are you reducing and by how much?  We suggest reducing by about 5-10% every couple of weeks or whatever your symptoms dictate, this can hopefully keep us functional.

I’ll provide some links to get you started but please let us know how we can help you.

Pamster

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Ashton Manual symptom list

Hello Pamster

Thank you for your reply. I am tired today due to a panic attack during last night and my head is in the shed :-\

I try very hard to take each day as it comes. Recently, I seem to be going through a very challenging experience and do feel as you say, cut off from family and friends. I have tried to explain to them about benzodiazepine tapering but they don't seem to value me. I do have a very understanding partner. I am cutting the tablets and aim to stay at this rate of reduction for a while longer. Thank you for the links. I do own a hard copy of the Ashton Manual, which I bought several years ago and found it to be very helpful. I will have a look at the other links.

Very best wishes to you

AB123

I’m sorry to hear about your panic attack, but glad to hear you have a supportive partner, its so important for people to believe us.

I’m grateful you know about Professor Ashton so you understand the value of doing this slowly, let us know if you need help with your taper, they need to be adjusted from time to time to address our ever changing symptoms.