Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Introduction of Myself

[Ta...]

I've been on Lorazepam since March '21.  I'm in the process of tapering off and have converted to Valium already.  I'm currently on 6mg daily.  So I take 3mg in morning and 3mg in evening.

I'm looking for a solution to taper off 10% every 2 weeks but the tablets only come in 1mg and 5mg.  So splitting them with razor will not be accurate.  What is the preferred method to taper slowly and get an accurate milligram?

Thanks

Hello Taylor47 :hug: Welcome to Benzobuddies!

We are glad you joined our community.  Well done starting your taper, you have made a great decision to come off these drugs.  Oh goodness me yes! I used a razor, my diazepam/Valium were 2 mgs,  it was very messy and not very accurate and so I suffered for it, but thankfully I made it.  Slow is the way to go with benzodiazepines.  It’s suggested reducing between 5% and 10% every 10 - 14 days, many of us find this far too fast, especially when you reach the lower doses. Its best to slow it down to whatever feels comfortable, the aim is to keep symptoms manageable.  You will come through this, it takes time, patience is a must.  Please post questions to any of the dedicated board, you'll get plenty of support here.

The Ashton Manual, is a great resource for understanding the effect benzo’s have on our body.  It provides withdrawal information and includes a list of common symptoms 

I'll leave you a few links to resources:

The Ashton Manual

Planning Your Withdrawal (TaperPlans)

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidelines

You might also like to post here

Valium Support Group

If you would like to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) to help members give you relevant advice. 

Please go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita