Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Tapering

[Te...]

Hi I’ve been on klonapin 6mg a day for 10 years I’m down to 2 mg and not doing good :( any advice my dr has me on a fast Taper schedule .5 mg  down every 2 weeks HELP …. I can’t function, my brain is on overdrive . I feel like a failure for letting my dr get me on such a high dose in the 1st place ! I’m scared

Hello Tear bear, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

Oh my, that's a rapid taper, I'm pretty sure I know how you're feeling!  Is there any way you can get your doctor to agree to slowing down, would it help to print this up and take it to them?  Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidelines

Many members who are on high doses like yours can go a little faster at first but need to slow down towards the end, we typically suggest members reduce their dose by about 5-10% every couple of weeks or whatever your symptoms dictate, yours seem to be saying, SLOW DOWN!

I'll provide some links to help you get started but please let us know how we can help you.

Pamster

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

The Ashton Manual

Yes , I’m going to show my dr , but I did ask her if we can slow down my Taper and her reply was I don’t want to cause I Would have  higher chances of relapsing to a higher dose  which I don’t agree with considering she only gives me the exact prescription every two weeks so frustrating

I don't care for the term relapse, it makes you sound like a drug addict which I'm pretty sure you're not, you've taken a doctor prescribed medication and now you're tapering off of it.  Tapers are living things, they must be adjusted to keep us functioning and the taper is just the first step, after that comes recovery and that can a long time.

The purpose of a taper is to allow the brain to recover the function it lost to the drug, in essence your body is healing as you taper, using the drug to minimize your symptoms.  When we go too quickly, the healing will take place after the taper, which means you won't have the drug available to temper your symptoms.  I wish doctors could understand this. 

• 1 month later...
Sorry for bad grammar my whole body is shaking !!! I feel like every second Is so bad dr has me on .25 now I started at 6 mg of klonapin June 9. 2022 is when dr cut me off found a psychiatrist June 24 th I was so scared bye the time I saw psychiatrist I already taper her down 2 mg so I was on 4 mg on June 24, 2022 and andshe has me tampering .5 mg down ever 2 weeks it’s be a living hell I can’t do anything and she won’t slow it down at all I don’t have time to get a new psychiatrist as she gave me .25 for one week, and then I jumped.

I'm so very sorry for your suffering, I know the nightmare you're living and its so painful!  You can recover from this but it takes too long, please have faith in your body's ability to heal. 

What can you do for distraction, this is about the only thing we've found to get relief from our symptoms, if only for a few moments.  Can you get out of the house and go for a walk, can you meditate or do puzzles?  What are your symptoms?

• 7 months later...
My Dr recommended tapering. I know that people feel terrible during this period. Are there any ways to make it easier and faster?