"America's Most Poisonous Pill"

[17...]

Hey Mbr,

That was an incredibly well written letter ... I didn't pick up on it being an "angry" letter at all.  You spelled out the facts and that is all we can do.  I loved this.  Thanks for sharing it.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Pe...]

• [...]

• [va...]

• [Sc...]

Top Posters In This Topic

INCREDIBLY well written!!  WOW!!  I couldn't have said it any better!  I personally thank you for sending that.

Lisa

Thanks, Whoopsie and Lisa.  It kinda wrote itself, actually, as I was so pissed off.  I'm struggling with a horrendous and horrendously long taper and just feel sick all the time, so it's good to know you think the letter was a good one.  At least I can still do that!  It's distraction for me.  ~~mbr

Good job MBR, please let us let know if he replies.

SoCalRob

Oh, not to worry, I will.  But, I doubt he even reads his own e-mail.  Geez...

Here is a copy of the email I sent directly to Dr. Ablow's office in New York:

Date:  5/27/11

Dr. Ablow,

In your recent article published on March 29, 2011 on the Fox News website entitled “An Anti-Anxiety Drug That is Too Often Overlooked” you made the following comment:

“One medicine I believe is being underutilized is clonazepam. Clonazepam (Klonopin) is a benzodiazepine anti-anxiety medicine, in the same category as medicines like Valium and Xanax. But, unlike those medications, I have found that clonazepam is less likely in my patients to promote long-term dependency…”

This comment has stirred up quite a reaction amongst many people, including myself, who are currently suffering debilitating prolonged withdrawal as a result of being prescribed benzodiazepines in the manner you described in your article.  For the majority the prescription in particular was Klonopin for the condition of anxiety.   The people I refer to are the many thousands of people whom have joined Benzodiazepine Support Groups via the internet.  We refer to ourselves as ‘Benzo Victims’ because we were never told these drugs were addictive and once we were in trouble our Psychiatrists and Medical Doctors were unaware of the aspects of Benzodiazepine withdrawal.

My hope is to provide information to enlighten you as to the potential dangers of Benzodiazepine addiction in regards to the manner of prescribing you advocated.  Currently your article is being circulated amongst Benzo Victims and by your own words has earned you the position of the poster child representing the vast ignorance and misinformation amongst the medical community.  I don’t anticipate that this is a title you would like to carry and I appeal to you as a doctor to remember your oath to ‘first do no harm.’

Great Britain is way ahead of the U.S. in addressing this problem and Parliament is currently reviewing legislature and implementing legislative changes regarding the practices of prescribing benzodiazepines.  They are also addressing the social impact and looking into ways to provide aid to people who have been socially and financially incapacitated as a result of these drugs.  This has occurred as the direct result of the work of grass root organizations, who are currently actively involved with the British Government, and the medical research performed by Professor C. Heather Ashton at her Benzodiazepine Clinic.

A review of the proposed agenda for discussion with the Royal College of General Practitioners at the following link sums up the changes to law which Benzo Victims are striving for:

http://www.benzo.org.uk/perrott9.htm

You may review Professor Ashton’s work and recommendations in the Ashton Manual and the subsequent 2011 supplement at the following links:

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/

http://www.benzo.org.uk/ashsupp11.htm

Benzo Victims in the U.S. have begun to take action as well.  I have personally signed two petitions to the FDA and WHO.  You can review them at the following links:

http://www.petitiononline.com/benzo/petition.html

http://www.benzosupport.org/fda_pe.htm

Please know that many of us have lost faith in the medical advice from our Psychiatrists and Medical Doctors and feel a sense of betrayal.  Many of us while experiencing the excruciating physical and bizarre mental symptoms of benzodiazepine withdrawal and tolerance withdrawal have had our symptoms either misdiagnosed or simply disregarded.  As a result many are investigating financial ties between their healthcare providers and the Pharmaceutical companies, namely Wyeth and Roche.  I think you can appreciate the importance of this growing mistrust between doctor and patient.  This tragic scenario is being played out again and again.  But we are not giving up the fight.

In closing I hope that this has shed some light on the wide spread and unnecessary suffering that is occurring at an alarming rate due to prescribing practices of benzodiazepines.

Thanks for the idea mbr!!!!!  I loved the email you sent!

[17...]
Man, you are awesome.  Well written, Perseverance.  Here's hoping you get a response but like mbr stated, he probably doesn't even read his own e-mails and I doubt he will take the time to respond to a bunch of peons like us.  Either way, good on you two for taking the time to let him know your truth. 

I believe the squeaky wheel gets the oil.  I have the phone number to Dr. Ablows office in case I don't get a return email of acknowledgement.

Perseverance, I'm SO glad you joined me in sticking it to our dear Dr. Ablow.  Excellent letter.  Excellent!  Let's be sure to post here when and if we here anything.  And, do you really plan to call him if you get no response?  Good for you!  Go for it!

Yes mbr I will call if I don't hear anything within a reasonable time frame.  Thanks for your inspiring act.

[96...]

Good job MBR, please let us let know if he replies.

SoCalRob

Oh, not to worry, I will.  But, I doubt he even reads his own e-mail.  Geez...

Why wouldnt he be reading his own email?  You think he has his staff go into his personal email and pick out the good ones for him to read?  I am thinking about writing him as well.  As if Klonopin is any better or safer than Ativan or Xanax, he is talking through his you know what.

Many doctors have their assistants (secretaries), sift through email before it ever gets too them. Chiropracters do it. Dentists do it. It's the norm.

I talked to either his receptionist or secretary, not exactly sure which.  Probably a receptionist because she was actually going to make me an appointment with him until I explained it to her.  She told me to put in the subject line "please forward to Dr. Ablow."  Glad you were inspired SoCalRob.  Keep us updated!

Thank you mbr and Perseverance for taking the trouble to write to Dr. Ablow - your letters were very thorough, and you told it just like it is.

Thank you for doing this for all the rest of us....  I have written letters also to people, but nothing has ever come of it and it is so frustrating.

Your letters were so well written and with all those links, I am hoping that Dr. Ablow will educate himself. Thanks again - I think word is getting out but it's just taking so long and I don't think we have a chance in Hell of ever doing what England is doing about the Benzos - our govt is run by the lobbyists and we all know Big Pharma has powerful lobbying efforts.....

But thanks again.

Hoping2BFree

Hi, Hoping.  Thanks for the compliment re our letters to Dr. Ablow.  I have little hope for a response, and like you, I doubt a letter here and there will result in a change in the medical profession's view on benzos.  It feels like we're just screaming in the woods with no one there to hear us.  So damn frustrating.

Keep the faith guys!  Yesterday I found a document in the government medical library that was of major importance.  I posted it under Benzos in the news.  It was precisely what I needed for validation with my government representatives.  I am working on getting all my personal facts together, and then onward to contact my congressman and senator.

I believe the recognition and action happening in the UK CAN happen over here.

Yes, Perseverance, I saw the article you posted yesterday.  I'd come across the same one a while back.  It is a good article that appeared in a UK journal in 1989, as I recall.  Just goes to show you how our own government agencies can sweep this stuff under the rug.  It's just amazing that so little benzo research has been done since the 80s (and some of Ashton's work that is a bit newer and also from the UK).  Even when I point out some of these older references to my now-benzo-wise therapist, he's quick to point out how out of date they are and how he wishes there were some studies that are more recent.  It's difficult to make much headway with old documents, but I would never fault you for trying!  Thanks!!  ~~mbr

Out of date, well, it is still valid research and relevent is what I would say.  Sounds like your therapist is o.k.

I too just wrote an e-mail to Fox News and copied Dr. Keith Ablow so he too would read it.  I am absolutely disgusted.  I also find it interesting that they called it by the name "Clonazepam"...only because it is in the media nowadays as "Klonopin" from such stars as Stevie Nicks.  They were smart (or sneaky) to use the name Clonazepam because unless you are going through what we are all going through, many won't know it has other names. 

I e-mailed the article to my husband at his work today and he called me back right after reading it.  He was livid.  He too plans on writing Fox News and Dr. Ablow. 

All the best to you ALL, and thank you for sharing these articles. 

Take care,

Schatje

[97...]
I too just wrote an e-mail to Fox News and copied Dr. Keith Ablow so he too would read it.  I am absolutely disgusted.  I also find it interesting that they called it by the name "Clonazepam"...only because it is in the media nowadays as "Klonopin" from such stars as Stevie Nicks.  They were smart (or sneaky) to use the name Clonazepam because unless you are going through what we are all going through, many won't know it has other names.

Schatje,

I understand your point. You know they will refute this because they'll say it says, "Generic for Klonopin".. underneath the Clonazepam.

I'm not Pro-Benzo! But they would bring up the label &c.

I know.  :(  I didn't mention that to them though (using Clonazepam instead of Klonopin)...it was kind of an "after thought" when I replied to this post.  :)  I'm sure me writing them won't do anything - unfortunately - but it's worth a try.  I can't just sit back and watch others suffer from a doctor's greed or lack of education. 

Perseverance...I just read your message on the thread...here it is (keep in mind it was to Fox News and I copied Dr. Ablow in it, so it doesn't have his name written in the top line).  Here it is:

To Whom It May Concern,

Hello!  I just came across an online article written by Dr. Keith Ablow titled "An Anti-Anxiety Drug That Is Too Often Overlooked".  It was published on March 29, 2011.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/03/29/anti-anxiety-drug-overlooked/

Dr. Ablow claims to be a Psychiatrist that does not easily hand out prescriptions for medication.  He also claims that he has found that Clonazepam (also known as Klonopin) is not as "addictive" as other Benzodiazepine drugs such as Valium or Zanax.  Well, I am here to tell you that I am a thirty-three year old mother and wife, who has been robbed two years of a healthy and happy life because of being prescribed the Benzodiazepine called Clonazepam.  Perhaps Dr. Ablow needs to do a little more research of his own before making such statements about this drug.  Or perhaps he needs to tell the real story about this drug.

Clonazepam is a Benzodiazepine that is over-prescribed across North America and Europe.  There are countless forums on the internet to aid those who are left without professional help to withdrawal from this medication.  Clonazepam, as well as ALL other Benzodiazepines are meant to be prescribed for short-term use only.  Something I was not informed of by my GP or Psychiatrist.  So two years after being on 1mg of Clonazepam (which is equal to 20mgs of Valium), I was left to taper off of this drug (since prolonged use of this drug can cause worsened anxiety, as well as a long list of other side effects).  Do you know what can happen to a person experiencing withdrawal side effects from any Benzodiazepine, including Clonazepam?  I will list the side effects that I have personally experienced.

Fatigue

Panic Attacks (FAR worse than what I was prescribed this medication for)

Sweats

Chills

Nausea

Diarrhea

Headaches

Muscle tension

Electrical shocks in chest and stomach

Legs ache

Back ache

Episodes of crying that lasts for hours

Daily WORSENED anxiety

Derealisation

Depersonalization

Irritability and Agitation

Clenching jaw and teeth pain

Dizziness

It has taken me almost one year to come off of this drug, and in the meantime I had to crossover to Diazepam (Valium) because I was so ill coming off of Clonazepam.  Dr. Heather Ashton (Emeritus Professor of Psychopharmacology in the UK) has many of her patients in detox come off of Valium instead of Clonazepam because the withdrawal from Clonazepam can be so horrendous.  I have yet to complete my taper, however I should be finished by this coming July.  I will never touch another Benzodiazepine again.  I now know that with a good support team and proper therapy, anxiety illnesses can be dealt with medication free.  These drugs are dangerous.  Did you know that they can be potentially fatal if the patient does not know to properly wean off of it?  Are you aware that several GP's and Psychiatrists do not tell their patients this?  Are you aware that ANY Benzodiazepine - including Clonazepam - should be used as a SHORT TERM use drug ONLY?

Please, as a reputable News Station, I advise you to do your research before employing such a doctor to write an article like this.  It sends false hope to those who truly need the help.  It also gives the reader false information.  Every time he prescribes this medication, it is money in his pocket.  This drug leads to INVOLUNTARY addiction.  I'm not talking about recreational use (it is used for that as well).  I'm talking about people like myself - a stay at home mom - who needed some help working through mild anxiety, and instead of proper talk therapy was quickly given a prescription for this drug and told to take it daily for "as long as needed".  I just kept taking the prescription as my doctor refilled it for me.  I assumed I "needed" it.  I didn't realize that my body was in "tolerance withdrawal". It was craving more but I wasn't giving it more (and by more I mean a higher dose).  I was simply following my doctor's orders.  Once in tolerance withdrawal, your body begins to feel more anxiety and other side effects.  Dr. Ablow claims this drug can help those who have such "debilitating" anxiety they "contemplate suicide", but not once does he acknowledge that prolonged use and/or withdrawal from this medication can also cause this.

I find it extremely irresponsible of Fox News to accept an article such as this by Dr. Ablow.  I am honestly quite disgusted, and feel VERY sorry for those who read his article and feel there is hope for their condition.  There is a use for this drug - but it should not be used for anxiety - and especially not for long-term use.  We are often told to get a "second opinion" when it comes to our health.  Perhaps Fox News needs to get a second opinion before they print an article such as this.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my e-mail.

***On a side note, I also left them links to 3 sites that thoroughly describe tolerance w/d and well as w/d s/x.  It's not as well written as the one message sent to him, but I needed to do something.  Every little message has to help, right?  I tried not to sound nasty - as I'm not good at being nasty and I know it doesn't resolve anything. lol  I just tried to make a point based on my own personal experience.  I am so "insecure" about my writing, so I hope it read well.