Crash and burning on c/t off 2-3 mg of Xanax. May start diazepam taper. Thoughts

[Br...]

So I got out of a detox facility just over 3 weeks ago for 11 years on 2-3 mg of xanax per day. I detoxed off of it for 6 months back in 2014 and this time seems way worse. The past week, I have had horrible panic attacks and insomnia. I’ve also been to the ER twice in the last 5 days because of sleep deprivation and panic attacks. When I finally did sleep after 38 hours, I slept for 17 hours!

Anyway, im thinking rapid tapering in detox wasn’t such a great idea. I have Dr appointment later today and I was thinking of asking him about going on diazepam or Librium and doing a slow taper, like the 10% every two weeks. I know it would be shooting myself in the foot with being off benzos for 3 weeks, but I can’t even leave my bedroom and I can’t sleep. Any thoughts? I’ve tried clonidine, hydroxyzine, phenobarbital, etc.

We've had many members who were detoxed reinstate, some are glad they did it, others regret but we all have to do what we need to in order to survive.  I'm not surprised to hear this time was more difficult than the last, the body seems to remember past cessations and punishes us for it.

If you do decide to go back on I suggest a very slow taper, 10% might be too rapid considering your history so I hope your doctor will be agreeable to letting you set your own timetable for reducing, symptom based tapers are the best.

You're in the acute phase right now so if you can push through things should let up a bit, I was able to return to work after 3 weeks but this is my experience, I have no idea how long your acute phase will last.