Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Klonopin

[Fa...]

Hi Falke,

I'm glad you're getting feedback and support from other buddies. I've lurked this thread but I haven't had much to add.

I'm tapering clonazepam from 2mg/day back in February 2021 and I'm very sensitive to reductions and schedule changes on this medication. I do a daily micro taper, using a hybrid of tablets and a homemade liquid from tablets and I passed through 0.8mg/day without any dosage related issues. I'm now just under 0.7mg/day at present and I've been able to keep the same over-all reduction rate of ~5%/14 days (including time spent holding).

I think having trouble at a certain dose may have less to do with the dosage quantity and more to do with dosing strategies, reduction rate, and skill-building. I have needed to develop and adapt all three of these aspects of my taper, and as a result it has been getting easier and easier to progress.

I hope you can find your own way forward to greater ease in tapering.  :thumbsup:

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Fa...]

• [Qu...]

• [Pa...]

• [Li...]

Hi Falke,

I'm glad you're getting feedback and support from other buddies. I've lurked this thread but I haven't had much to add.

I'm tapering clonazepam from 2mg/day back in February 2021 and I'm very sensitive to reductions and schedule changes on this medication. I do a daily micro taper, using a hybrid of tablets and a homemade liquid from tablets and I passed through 0.8mg/day without any dosage related issues. I'm now just under 0.7mg/day at present and I've been able to keep the same over-all reduction rate of ~5%/14 days (including time spent holding).

I think having trouble at a certain dose may have less to do with the dosage quantity and more to do with dosing strategies, reduction rate, and skill-building. I have needed to develop and adapt all three of these aspects of my taper, and as a result it has been getting easier and easier to progress.

I hope you can find your own way forward to greater ease in tapering.  :thumbsup:

Hello,

nice that you are coping well with it.

But I somehow do not understand how you do it with the taper.

Love greetings

Hello,

and your taper method should also work with flurazepam, right? Or?

Kind regards

I'm tapering by using a variety of methods. I'm using tablet splitting. I'm using a homemade liquid with 30% ethanol attempting to dissolve the clonazepam in my deconstructed tablets at 0.125mg/ml. I'm using my liquid to make up the smallest portion of my dosage that I'm actively titrating and taking the rest as tablets (liquid/tablet hybrid). I'm doing a daily micro taper (DMT), based on a percent-rate reduction that I've fine-tuned to consistently meet my personal functionality goals.

I also do developmental trauma therapy, meditation, TRE, gentle exercise, and daily journaling.

Some of these methods may be applicable to your flurazepam taper but I'm not sure which.

With N-desalkylflurazepam having a half-life of 47–100 hours, I wonder if a DMT would be difficult to control. Clonazepam for comparison has an average half life of ~35 hours and it's still a little sluggish.

I also see that flurazepam may be provided as powder-filled capsules; these cannot be split with a tablet splitter, so I would be inclined to consider a dry weight reduction approach (ideally with filler) or a liquid approach, likely a liquid suspension given that I don't know anything about how flurazepam dissolves in solvents.

IME every taper and every taperer are different. I just wanted to challenge the assertion that reducing below certain dosages is consistently more problematic than others. For difficulties tapering, I would consider dosage only in the context of personal dosing strategies, reduction rate, and skill-building.  :)

Diazepam was given because I c/t lormetazepam and to ease flurazepam tapering. With hindsight 7mg wasn't enough to stabilize.

In my experience diazepam isn't good for sleeping. But not so terrible to taper.

This might be helpful...

Regarding flurazepam:

SOLUBILITY: 1 G IN 2 ML WATER

https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/flurazepam#section=Solubility

water solubility: 500 mg/mL (HCl salt)

https://go.drugbank.com/drugs/DB00690

What I gather is that flurazepam (mono)hydrochloride appears to be highly soluble in water. I wonder if other buddies were able to dissolve the powder from their capsules in water and dose reliably from this liquid.

I hope this helps.  :thumbsup:

This might be helpful...

Regarding flurazepam:

SOLUBILITY: 1 G IN 2 ML WATER

https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/flurazepam#section=Solubility

water solubility: 500 mg/mL (HCl salt)

https://go.drugbank.com/drugs/DB00690

What I gather is that flurazepam (mono)hydrochloride appears to be highly soluble in water. I wonder if other buddies were able to dissolve the powder from their capsules in water and dose reliably from this liquid.

I hope this helps.  :thumbsup:

https://www.pharmawiki.ch/wiki/index.php?wiki=flurazepam#:~:text=Flurazepam%20(C21H23,Wasser%20sehr%20leicht%20l%C3%B6slich%20ist.

Hello,

Every doctor says that stopping Flurazepam is very difficult, except the addiction doctor who prescribed it for me. He says all benzodiazepines are the same.

So I am at a loss, it is no longer working and the symptoms are increasing.

I am now on 1.1mg clonazepam and 13.71mg flurazepam.

So keep going down slowly?

Or diazepam? But I'm worried that I won't be able to tolerate it because of histamine.

Greetings

Quarantadue I get withdrawal symptoms from the clonazepam already at night, so I got the flurazepam added at that time.

Alprazolam worked for me for 6 hours, then run amok.

2017 with 0,2 mg Clonazepam....

in the clinic they tried oxazepam when I think of it I could cry, 120mg spread throughout the day every 4 hours run amok.

Tapering both together could be too difficult.

Just taper slow and steady clonazepam.

Yes I know quarantine,

I blame myself because I didn't hold out and dosing up on Flurazepam didn't do anything.

Then I also took Klonopin...but that doesn't help either.

I blame myself and don't know how I will ever get out of it.

Yes I am reducing, I am very scared of both medications. For me the symptoms are always horrible.

I hope you have found a good way.

Love

Thank you Quarantine,

but since I have been back on 13.71mg Flurazepam, I have numbness in my head, feet and hands tingle, and it doesn't help.

I did not have all this before

What would be useful for stabilization?

Is it worth trying a whole flurazepam?

Or wait and see?

Try on diazepam?

I feel you would be better discussing this with your doctor.

What would be useful for stabilization?

Is it worth trying a whole flurazepam?

Or wait and see?

Try on diazepam?

I feel you would be better discussing this with your doctor.

Thanks Pamster,

I have.

Well I can try flurazepam or increase clonazepam, or go on diazepam.

But since I know that I am in tolerance, and I know what the benzodiazepines do, and I know all the withdrawal symptoms, it is understandable that I am afraid.

I don't know how it could work anymore.

Some stability would be nice. I just don't see the way anymore.

Kind regards

Hi Falke,

I get the feeling you're still trying to figure out if you can make the commitment to taper from these drugs and that's okay, this is a difficult and hugely impactful decision.  For now, my suggestion is to take stock of your life, your financial, personal, health and family life and decide if this is the best time to do this.

You have two choices, taper from the drugs or increase them so you can function, whatever you decide we'll support.  Let us know what you decide and if it's to taper from these drugs then lets get down to business because the only way out is through, no easy way, no shortcuts, just pushing through the pain and coming out the other side.

Pamster

Hi Falke,

I get the feeling you're still trying to figure out if you can make the commitment to taper from these drugs and that's okay, this is a difficult and hugely impactful decision.  For now, my suggestion is to take stock of your life, your financial, personal, health and family life and decide if this is the best time to do this.

You have two choices, taper from the drugs or increase them so you can function, whatever you decide we'll support.  Let us know what you decide and if it's to taper from these drugs then lets get down to business because the only way out is through, no easy way, no shortcuts, just pushing through the pain and coming out the other side.

Pamster

Hello Pamster,

I know no decision is like being on the hamster wheel.

I have absolutely no idea what choice to make now.

With clonazepam I am on 1mg.

I don't know what worries me more the clonazepam I have experienced some things with or the flurazepam. No one knows if I can tolerate a switch to diazepam.

In addition, I can't manage to stop the alcohol.

With that I can at least sleep a little, that's not good, I know that. But where is the way out?

I want to live again and have fun with my daughter.

It all got so extreme in August when I got on 2mg of Flurazepam....after that nothing helped.

Love

I didn't realize you were drinking alcohol, if you decide you want to be free from the drugs, the first thing that will need to go is the alcohol.  It effects the same GABA receptors in your brain that benzo's do so you're actually increasing your dose by using it.  Besides that, it will take away your will power and commitment to do this, so before you taper, I suggest you stop drinking. 

Do you feel you're addicted to alcohol, I was and there is no shame in this but it may need to be addressed at some point.

I didn't realize you were drinking alcohol, if you decide you want to be free from the drugs, the first thing that will need to go is the alcohol.  It effects the same GABA receptors in your brain that benzo's do so you're actually increasing your dose by using it.  Besides that, it will take away your will power and commitment to do this, so before you taper, I suggest you stop drinking. 

Do you feel you're addicted to alcohol, I was and there is no shame in this but it may need to be addressed at some point.

Hello Pamster,

have you been drinking a lot? How did you manage to get away from it?

Love greetings

Hello Pamster,

have you been drinking a lot? How did you manage to get away from it?

Love greetings

I quit alcohol 8 years before I started taking Klonopin but I know if I would have still been drinking I wouldn't have been able to do it get off of it, it messed up my judgement too much.