Need taper help

[3a...]

Hi all I'm new to the forum and looking for advice. I've been taking valium on and off for eight months but not everyday. The last six weeks die to problems in my life I upped my dose to about 50mg a week not a huge amount and not everyday. When I stared getting symptoms in between doses I realised I was getting dose withdrawal. I have been stopped now for nearly four weeks but have been getting intense depression and anxiety and feelings of dread. Also some physical symptoms like shaking and fast heart beat. My doctor wants to out me back on 10mg diazepam a day and taper down but not sure if I should go back on or not. As I said I wasn't taking the stuff everyday but withdrawl at times is very dark. I'm getting widows at night of feeling better then boom in the morning and afternoon I feel bad again. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hello Theroadback,

Welcome to Benzo Buddies!  Benzos are tricky drug, it doesn't take long for a physical dependency to develop even with non regular use. I have to say that in my opinion, 50mg per week is actually a pretty significant dose.

I'm assuming that you stopped taking diazepam suddenly, cold turkey, is this correct? Ideally, it would have been better to taper off, cold turkey is not the advisable method to stop taking benzos. 

All the symptoms you describe are common for benzo withdrawal and at 4 weeks off you are still in the thick of things.

It is possible to reinstate and then follow a slow and gradual taper plan. For some people reinstatement works, for others perhaps not. This is a decision you'll have to make. 

If you decide to reinstate and taper, it's best to stabilize on the dose for while, say about 2 weeks.  After this a gradual reduction of no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days is suggested. I'll give you a link to the Planning Your Withdrawal Board for more information.

I'll also give you a link to the Post Withdrawal Recovery Board. You can connect with others and receive feedback and support.

If you decide to stay off benzos, it may take a while for your symptoms to ease up.  The good thing is that you are experiencing some windows at night. The mornings can be tough, cortisol is higher at that time and the fight/ flight response is strong.

Whatever you decide, we're here to help. Why don't you settle in and do some reading and please ask questions.

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

Post-withdrawal Recovery Support

pianogirl  ;)