Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

How do you cope?

[...]

What is your approach to coping?

I’ve had a lot of time to research, think about and practice coping during withdrawal.  Below are my coping strategies.

• Radical acceptance that i am in this situation and that it is going to take time.
  • I am going to heal.  Everyone heals from this.
  • There are no drugs or quick fixes to cure this.  I told my psych - no more drugs!  I will accept only cognitive therapy, talk therapy - anything but drugs.
  • Time will heal and i have to remind myself of this constantly.
  • Find a distraction.  If TV doesnt do it take up a hobby or twenty hobbies.  Whatever it takes to distract.  I’ve learned to bake, cook, clean house, garden, walk 4 miles a day, focus on researching different topics, coming to benzobuddies. 
  • Benzo brain will lie to me and tell me that I will never get through this.  I have to stop believing that inner voice.  Fight it.
  • Think positive thoughts.  It will be very hard to do but I must.
  • Seek and accept support from everywhere that will give it.
  • And I cant emphasize this enough - distract, distract, distract.

I’ve had a lot of time to research, think about and practice coping during withdrawal.  Below are my coping strategies.

• Radical acceptance that i am in this situation and that it is going to take time.
  • There are no drugs or quick fixes to cure this.  I told my psych - no more drugs!  I will accept only cognitive therapy, talk therapy - anything but drugs.
  • Find a distraction.  If TV doesnt do it take up a hobby or twenty hobbies.  Whatever it takes to distract.  I’ve learned to bake, cook, clean house, garden, walk 4 miles a day, focus on researching different topics, coming to benzobuddies. 
  • Benzo brain will lie to me and tell me that I will never get through this.  I have to stop believing that inner voice.  Fight it.

Wow JBen nice coping tips there.

Wish you had Posted these even earlier as I have had a hell of a day today.

Healing vibes...

Excellent list JBen, I'd like to add projects and I'll tell you about the one I fell into when I was recovering.

I wanted to reduce the size of my backyard lawn and I decided to kill about half of it with Roundup.  Well, once it started dying I went into a panic because it was a huge area and I felt awful and overwhelmed with symptoms and the stress of what I'd just done.

This was when I learned about the elephant and how to eat him, one bite at a time.  :laugh:  I dug, I hauled, I planted, I carried, I watered, I carried and worked on this project every day and slowly but surely it took shape and I began to have hope and most of all began to have confidence.

Our self confidence is shot while going through this but feeling a sense of accomplishment no matter how small was the best medicine I could take for benzo recovery. 

This is such a great list, JBen, thank you!

Excellent list JBen, I'd like to add projects and I'll tell you about the one I fell into when I was recovering.

I wanted to reduce the size of my backyard lawn and I decided to kill about half of it with Roundup.  Well, once it started dying I went into a panic because it was a huge area and I felt awful and overwhelmed with symptoms and the stress of what I'd just done.

This was when I learned about the elephant and how to eat him, one bite at a time.  :laugh:  I dug, I hauled, I planted, I carried, I watered, I carried and worked on this project every day and slowly but surely it took shape and I began to have hope and most of all began to have confidence.

Our self confidence is shot while going through this but feeling a sense of accomplishment no matter how small was the best medicine I could take for benzo recovery. 

SO inspiring, Pamster!  Thank you!

my list:

[*]Total acceptance is the big one.

[*]Accepting there will be horrible days intermingled with occasional good days and okay days

[*]Believing the suffering is God's will for me, and there are plenty of character attributes to gain from it along with lessons to be learn

[*]Being grateful for all the good things in life.

[*]Optimism

Your post is perfect and also it agrees with the Bible.

But you hit it on the head that it is hard to think of the right thoughts.

The distraction that is there is probably from the difficulty of concentrating. This is a classic withdrawal symptom.

You are right when you that you are not going to get through this because it takes faith to overcome that feeling. The distraction can come from the anxiety that is another classic withdrawal symptom. You have to be patient with yourself. The source of this is chemical.

I think that you are doing great 😎

• 3 weeks later...

Hugs everyone! This is a great thread!!!! I cope with God first: deep focus on his presence, listening for his voice, reading his words that are waiting for me to hear, singing his praises in my head to combat the looping songs or thoughts, talking to him, praying etc

Meditate using soothing music including lullabies for babies. When I do this I wrap a weighted blanket around me pretending like I’m a very loved baby being held by my mother. Absolutely amazing comfort!!!

I have a pretend garden I created in my mind. Roses, gardenias, jasmine etc beautifully displayed around a lovely wrought iron white bench with a fountain in the center of my garden. I imagine while sitting there: the breeze, the butterflies landing on my hand to say hello, the sound of the fountain and perfect weather ( not too hot not too cold). In a wave I sit in my garden in total peace.

I cuddle a teddy bear my daughter gave me for Mother’s Day a few years ago. It’s so soft. I tell her ( teddy bear is a girl) thanks for comforting me. Lol I rub the fur and think of positive thoughts.

I rub my hands or arms or scalp in small gentle circles while focusing on it going around. Like rubbing a baby’s back in a circle. So soothing!!!

Hugs everyone! This is a great thread!!!! I cope with God first: deep focus on his presence, listening for his voice, reading his words that are waiting for me to hear, singing his praises in my head to combat the looping songs or thoughts, talking to him, praying etc

Meditate using soothing music including lullabies for babies. When I do this I wrap a weighted blanket around me pretending like I’m a very loved baby being held by my mother. Absolutely amazing comfort!!!

I have a pretend garden I created in my mind. Roses, gardenias, jasmine etc beautifully displayed around a lovely wrought iron white bench with a fountain in the center of my garden. I imagine while sitting there: the breeze, the butterflies landing on my hand to say hello, the sound of the fountain and perfect weather ( not too hot not too cold). In a wave I sit in my garden in total peace.

I cuddle a teddy bear my daughter gave me for Mother’s Day a few years ago. It’s so soft. I tell her ( teddy bear is a girl) thanks for comforting me. Lol I rub the fur and think of positive thoughts.

I rub my hands or arms or scalp in small gentle circles while focusing on it going around. Like rubbing a baby’s back in a circle. So soothing!!!

Wonderful suggestions Lady.💖 Peace and Healing.💦

LadyDen, that pretend garden you imagine is very close to what I visualize as heaven.  Big fountain with encrusted gems in it and white benches around it.  Perfect weather.  Everything is clean there, even the dirt.  I believe it's heaven and where I will go when I die.  I believe my cat Lily is there now and also other good people who have passed.  I'll see them there when I pass over.

Sounds beautiful Becks! The Dean of our Bible class described heaven as a place of indescribable eternal peace and joy with colors and animals we’ve never seen before. Completely a rosy future that only a fool wouldn’t want to be there. There’s no hunger, never thirsty, the dirt is clean because it’s not dirt ( lol), only tears of joy, no dissatisfaction, no pain, no sorrow, no worries, no working, no bills and so on! My garden place reminds me of heaven too.

Begood I’m telling you that these coping strategies have helped saved me from God knows what! For sure it saved me from complete breakdown. In our journeys we must have a coping plan. This is simply too much to handle. And it goes on and on for most of us. Those coping skills are necessary every day. Begood what do you do to cope?

Sounds beautiful Becks! The Dean of our Bible class described heaven as a place of indescribable eternal peace and joy with colors and animals we’ve never seen before. Completely a rosy future that only a fool wouldn’t want to be there. There’s no hunger, never thirsty, the dirt is clean because it’s not dirt ( lol), only tears of joy, no dissatisfaction, no pain, no sorrow, no worries, no working, no bills and so on! My garden place reminds me of heaven too.

Begood I’m telling you that these coping strategies have helped saved me from God knows what! For sure it saved me from complete breakdown. In our journeys we must have a coping plan. This is simply too much to handle. And it goes on and on for most of us. Those coping skills are necessary every day. Begood what do you do to cope?

When I was tapering I found that creating my Music threads and Word thread helped me to keep busy and not think about how long it was going to take to get off. Having the Village and all that have been there with me, gave me purpose. Believing that I was going to make it, walking each day in nature kept me calm.💖 Peace and Healing.💦

I can't wait to get to that heavenly place.  I'm sure my Lily cat is there too and happy and then I can see and pet her again.