Benzo Gut

[ge...]

Hi there

I was put on Zopiclane 18 months ago after a breast cancer diagnosis (all clear at the moment) as I had problems sleeping.  At the end of last year I started to get alot of stomach discomfort, burping, chronic constipation.  I didn't at first link it to the drug I was on but on looking at the internet I found all kinds of horror stories relating to the dire side effects of Benzo drugs.  My GP was not receptive to the idea that my ailments were caused by these drugs but thought it was a good idea to try and come off them.  I tapered down and got down to 2 doses a week with the help of Melatonin......but I then became ill with an awful stomach infection - taken to hospital, put on a drip and given antibiotics.  Pain subsided a bit but I was still left with alot of discomfort - other side effects seem to be loss of appetite, feeling of malaise and now panic attacks!  I then went on the Zops again to try and taper down more slowy.  I've had various procedures to look at my stomach/colon and so far all is clear but I'm left floundering and wondering whether I'll ever get free of these awful drugs.  The medical profession in the UK seem to turn a blind eye to the ongoing problems these drugs can cause...2 professionals now have said opoids don't cause constipation!!

Hi gettingbetterslowly,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies, we are glad you have joined us here!

I'm sorry that you have struggled with the effects of these drugs but you have come to the right place for information and helpful guidelines about tapering and information about dealing with various side effects and symptoms.

I'll start you with a couple links that you might find helpful. The first is the taper plan board which is a good place to get started. You could also take a look at what others are doing. Generally it is recommended to go very slowly with most benzos, usually at a rate of 5 to 10 percent every 10 days or so but most people end up coming up with the plan that works best for them.

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

The next link is the withdrawal support board which is a great place to ask questions of other members and communicate with others going through issues with benzos.

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

I'll also post the link for the Ashton manual in case you haven't read it. It's a very good source for information about benzos and how to taper them.

The Ashton Manual

I'm sorry that doctors aren't being helpful when it comes to recognizing side effects. I've had the same problem. My docs tell me that my symptoms are from other sources. It can be hard to find a doctor who understands the link between benzos and the many symptoms we can have. Hopefully you will find like minded people here who can relate to what you have been through.

Finally, I'll include the link to the success stories board because I find these to be inspiring and helpful to see how people have successfully tapered.

Success Stories

Again, welcome!

SRR

Hi GettingBetterSlowly,

I'm sorry to hear about all your stomach problems. I have Small Intestinal Bacterial Growth which causes similar symptoms. I've developed multiple health issues since starting Benzos for a medical problem 11 years ago. I am convinced that Klonopin caused them and I have heard several people say the same . They also say their illnesses cleared up once they were off the Benzo. So, my hope is we will both be feeling better once we are off these drugs. By the way, doctors in the US are the same way!

Wishing you the best,

Jeri