Antihistamines

[co...]

I'm about to get an antihistamine for poor sleep.  Do you think.that this will affect gaba?  :smitten:

name of drug - Promethazine

There's no reason to think this would affect GABA. However, it's my strong opinion that any pharmaceutical drug taken regularly somewhat interferes with withdrawal.

So my advice is to use promethazine sparingly, when you are most desperate for some zzzzs. I think that weekly use is perhaps slightly too often. When I was suffering terribly and before I used cannabis as a sleep aid, I would occasionally make use of melatonin and antihistamines but not more than 2-3 times per month. This meant that when I did use them, they remained effective and I didn't have to worry about forming a dependency or otherwise interfering with healing.

I don't believe that there is such thing as a medication that you can take nightly for sleep without causing harm in the medium to long term. It's no fun at all to become dependent on a sleep aid that stops working. That's a problem that people have with benzos but it applies to antihistamines too. Please be careful.

Also, top tip, I found that 10mg was plenty for sleep. They come in 25mg pills too but that would be more than many people need. With any powerful drug, you wanna use as little as possible that gives the desired effect.

• 2 weeks later...

Antihistamines affect your histamine receptors, not GABA receptors.

I take Unisom (Doxylamine Succinate) almost every day for sleep. It's not the most effective sleep aid I've tried but from what I've read it is better than taking a benzo or z-drug everyday...although benzos and z-drugs work a lot better for sleep, for me anyways.

[09...]
Antihistamines are fine but they are anti-cholinergic, which can impact brain function overall. I like remeron for this reason in tiny doses. It has antihistamine qualities at low doses without being anti-cholinergic, which is rare for an antihistamine. I only use 1.5mg or so (range from 1.5-1.8), but some use 3-4mg. It is very sedating. There is a small study that suggests that mirtazepine is helpful during benzo injury.