Baylissa

[Me...]

I had an appointment with Baylissa. I thought she was amazing. She gave me the support I desperately needed.  I hope that positive posts like this on BB board can stay up. Admin please don’t remove.  I think it’s super important to have positive feedback - especially for those people who are feeling ghastly & needing support who could hugely benefit from Baylissa’s expertise, experience & support.

I have no problem with you reporting your positive experience. But we, the team, will be putting some thought into exactly where we will draw the line on outright endorsements. Obviously, endorsements for those holding no qualifications will be totally forbidden. It is the situation where a 'qualified' practitioner operates independently but there is no oversight of how they operate which is more tricky. The issue I have I have is that I feel, and feel strongly, that meaningful oversight is part of being 'qualified' in a broader sense of the word.

Thanks Colin!  Just factually stating my experience.  I don’t belong to the professional body in my fiend.  It’s not because I’m not qualified, or because I don’t want to be governed.  The professional body in my industry is incredibly catty & not professional.  I don’t want to tie myself to that negativity.. 

Now if we think of possible reasons why someone isn’t part of a processional body in their own industry there could be many, many reasons:  I always think it’s not hood to assume. So why not ask the person? In a therapists scenario working on the benzo field I imagine there could be many  Just because someone isn’t part of their ondustruws governing body doesn’t make them not viable or trustworthy.

I find it interesting that BB have recently taken a stand on this board going south in negativity & wanting more positive posts.  Here’s good old mr bring Puritan about an experience & this should be encouraged.  We all need more positivity in WD.  If someone can come on BB & post an experience about Baylissa that they didn’t find positive - then positive ouses should be equally allowed. 

Thank you for being Fair Colin - I understand you have a very hard role however there needs to be an even playing field here. Positive posts need to be encouraged - regardless of the subject.  Please don’t dim the light to those of us still thrashing around in the darkness that withdrawal can sometimes bring.

The reality is that most member comments about their experiences with Baylissa Fredrick had been positive - Frederick had no problem with those comments of course. But when one member reported a negative experience, she created an account here with disingenuous reasons and under an alias. And then - knowingly - berated her former client on a public platform. Although I do not know her reasons - I can only speculate upon a possible an answer your question (reasons for her not being a member of professional body) - but that's the kind of behaviour which is unlikely to be tolerated by, say, the BACP. Perhaps Frederick wishes to be free of such constraints. Hopefully she will care to post her reasons at her website. I know this, if she had been a member of a professional body, I would have logged a complaint. She exhibited absolutely disgraceful behaviour.

Agreed!  Her behavior was absurd. I was shocked!  Never have I ever heard of such a thing happening. Here in the US, what she is doing as far as practicing without being properly licensed or registered is illegal. She wouldn’t be able to do it. And if she still did it, she would go to jail. But that’s the US and laws vary from country to country. I think the admins and mods here do a particularly good job of doing exactly what she does anyway. They comment individually on everyone’s posts, which is personalized and directed specifically towards the poster for reassurance that healing is possible and for free. Plus they all have the withdrawal experience as well.  I say you guys set up a donation fund. Not a fee for service or anything. But a donation page, to where if people feel they want to donate they can. Just my opinion. Since all of you donate so much time, energy, and support here!  Which I hope I speak for everyone when I say everything you ladies and gents do to help us collaborate here is appreciated.

Thanks for the offer of a donation fund but we would have to politely decline.  BB was never set up to be a money making project, it was established by a small group who felt that people needed good solid support while going through a challenging withdrawal. I think I speak for the entire team when I say we want people to use their money for food, shelter, health care and whatever other living expenses they might have.

pianogirl

The reality is that most member comments about their experiences with Baylissa Fredrick had been positive - Frederick had no problem with those comments of course. But when one member reported a negative experience, she created an account here with disingenuous reasons and under an alias. And then - knowingly - berated her former client on a public platform. Although I do not know her reasons - I can only speculate upon a possible an answer your question (reasons for her not being a member of professional body) - but that's the kind of behaviour which is unlikely to be tolerated by, say, the BACP. Perhaps Frederick wishes to be free of such constraints. Hopefully she will care to post her reasons at her website. I know this, if she had been a member of a professional body, I would have logged a complaint. She exhibited absolutely disgraceful behaviour.

And that was a major turn off to me, and I found it apalling as you had stated yourself. I could never entrust my situation to someone who would do what she did. It was distressing to me to read that, even if I could afford it, I would never utilize her services. But if you dare to post any kind of criticism regarding her, you get jumped on by her satisfied clients like you broke a sacred rule. Paxia and I especially got heat for our opinions because someone felt they had to defend Baylissa. People should be able to post their positive experiences, but those who didn't or have crticisms regarding her and her services should not be jumped on for having a contrary opinion. I agree that her behavior on BB was absolutely disgraceful. And restoring JayTay0's thead allows people to see that side of Baylissa, and then they can weigh the pros (coming from the posts by members of their positive experiences with her) and cons and decide if she is someone they want to utilize.

Agreed!  Her behavior was absurd. I was shocked!  Never have I ever heard of such a thing happening. Here in the US, what she is doing as far as practicing without being properly licensed or registered is illegal. She wouldn’t be able to do it. And if she still did it, she would go to jail. But that’s the US and laws vary from country to country. I think the admins and mods here do a particularly good job of doing exactly what she does anyway. They comment individually on everyone’s posts, which is personalized and directed specifically towards the poster for reassurance that healing is possible and for free. Plus they all have the withdrawal experience as well.

You are correct, but since she is not in the US, and provides her services via the internet and telephone, she is outside the scope of US laws. I agree with everything you say, the staff here do a great job, and we can get her everything Baylissa offers, minus the phone calls. Plus my state program provided Peer and support services give me anything Baylissa would, and insurance pays for it. My Peer has been through this, she C/T'd off of benzos, she is not there to counsel me, but to coach me through the process. The Peers are not licensed counselors, they are there to listen, and provide support. And they do have to meet cetain criteria to work as Peers. My Peer has told me probably anything Baylissa would, our discussions are confidential, she has answered my questions about the symptoms I'm having, how she handled them. HIPPA rules apply to her, so she is bound by them, as she is a healthcare worker. I understand that not everyone has access to help, so Baylissa has been a lifeline to them. If they find her helpful, I have no problem with that. I do have a problem with people going in defense mode when anyone crticizes Baylissa, and jumps on those who have a negative opinion of her. Both praise and crticism of her should be allowed, and if Baylissa can't handle the crticism, then that says more about her than about the person who criticized her.

Hi eric,

At Baylissa's website, on her 'About' page:

About

Bloom in Wellness was created to provide a space that is safe and comforting for people affected by movement disorders, other chronic illness and prescribed drug injury and withdrawal.

It was set up by Baylissa Frederick, a psychotherapist with a master’s degree in therapeutic counselling and two decades’ experience working with thousands of people from all over the world, supporting them as they heal.

She has delivered keynote speeches on the subject of prescribed drug injury, dependence and withdrawal, and has provided awareness presentations to organizations including the British Medical Association (BMA) and the Royal College of Psychiatrists. She has been interviewed and quoted by newspapers and journals including The London Times, The Independent and British Medical Association News. Baylissa is a chapter co-author of the Guidance for Psychological Therapists and  author of the internationally successful self-help book, ‘Recovery and Renewal,’ the memoir, ‘With Hope in My Heart’ and the journals, ‘Dearest Me’ and ‘Dearest Friend.’  She is currently a doctoral researcher.

Hi eric,

At Baylissa's website, on her 'About' page:

About

Bloom in Wellness was created to provide a space that is safe and comforting for people affected by movement disorders, other chronic illness and prescribed drug injury and withdrawal.

It was set up by Baylissa Frederick, a psychotherapist with a master’s degree in therapeutic counselling and two decades’ experience working with thousands of people from all over the world, supporting them as they heal.

She has delivered keynote speeches on the subject of prescribed drug injury, dependence and withdrawal, and has provided awareness presentations to organizations including the British Medical Association (BMA) and the Royal College of Psychiatrists. She has been interviewed and quoted by newspapers and journals including The London Times, The Independent and British Medical Association News. Baylissa is a chapter co-author of the Guidance for Psychological Therapists and  author of the internationally successful self-help book, ‘Recovery and Renewal,’ the memoir, ‘With Hope in My Heart’ and the journals, ‘Dearest Me’ and ‘Dearest Friend.’  She is currently a doctoral researcher.

Yes, that is confusing. She does write that she is a qualified psychotherapist but doesn't write that she is offering her services as a psychotherapist anywhere that I can see, though. She writes that she was working for two decades supporting people as they heal but it's not clear in what capacity she was working with them? Was she working as a coach or peer support or psychotherapist? It's just not clear to me.

When she takes on a paying person is she just coaching them? I don't know? But that's what her description states on her site that I posted, that she is just a coach and not engaging with people as a psychotherapist. I think she needs to be more clear as to what she's offering people by the looks of it so that people going to her known, for sure, what they are getting and not mistaking coaching as any type of therapy.

I’ve used her services and yes I agree it’s a bit confusing but she’s clarified that her coaching is not therapy. She always encourages her clients to go get things checked out by doctors and even get additional therapy since talking to her is not a substitute for that. What she offers is coping skills and reassurance/moral support. She uses the skills she’s learned as a therapist over the years but what you pay for when speaking to her is not therapy.

I had an appointment with Baylissa. I thought she was amazing. She gave me the support I desperately needed.  I hope that positive posts like this on BB board can stay up. Admin please don’t remove.  I think it’s super important to have positive feedback - especially for those people who are feeling ghastly & needing support who could hugely benefit from Baylissa’s expertise, experience & support.

I have no problem with you reporting your positive experience. But we, the team, will be putting some thought into exactly where we will draw the line on outright endorsements. Obviously, endorsements for those holding no qualifications will be totally forbidden. It is the situation where a 'qualified' practitioner operates independently but there is no oversight of how they operate which is more tricky. The issue I have I have is that I feel, and feel strongly, that meaningful oversight is part of being 'qualified' in a broader sense of the word.

Thanks Colin!  Just factually stating my experience.  I don’t belong to the professional body in my fiend.  It’s not because I’m not qualified, or because I don’t want to be governed.  The professional body in my industry is incredibly catty & not professional.  I don’t want to tie myself to that negativity.. 

Now if we think of possible reasons why someone isn’t part of a processional body in their own industry there could be many, many reasons:  I always think it’s not hood to assume. So why not ask the person? In a therapists scenario working on the benzo field I imagine there could be many  Just because someone isn’t part of their ondustruws governing body doesn’t make them not viable or trustworthy.

I find it interesting that BB have recently taken a stand on this board going south in negativity & wanting more positive posts.  Here’s good old mr bring Puritan about an experience & this should be encouraged.  We all need more positivity in WD.  If someone can come on BB & post an experience about Baylissa that they didn’t find positive - then positive ouses should be equally allowed. 

Thank you for being Fair Colin - I understand you have a very hard role however there needs to be an even playing field here. Positive posts need to be encouraged - regardless of the subject.  Please don’t dim the light to those of us still thrashing around in the darkness that withdrawal can sometimes bring.

I think you need to go back and read her posts again. She was never deceitful let alone disgraceful. She did not once berate anyone. What exactly are you referring to? And just out of curiousity, are you certain that you or none of your admins were informed that she started an account? I also go by an alias and have hopefully helped people here in the past by the way.

No, I do not care for the tone you used when you answered Givemehope68. If someone is on this board and asking for help, you should know better than to be short with them. "Find a new one if youre dissatisfied." Brilliant. I don't believe someone joins a support group to recieve an answer that they can figure out on their own. They join because of lack of support. That answer is nothing short of smart alec.  Can you not be more professional yourself?

Although an obvious answer/solution, it was apparently not considered by the poster so I simply stated what is probably the better course of action (rather than inaction) in the stated circumstances. It can be difficult to make that leap, especially when we feel so ill. But in the longer term (and probably even the shorter term), find a new, better counsellor/therapist is almost certainly the action we should take. It is exactly the same answer I (and most of us here) would likely supply to a member if they were dissatisfied with their GP or other medical practitioner. Your posture here is a choice - it is not justified by the substance of my reply Givemehope68.

She asked for help. You in turn snapped off a smart alec respose. It actually looks like you were berating her. Yes, I am serious. She genuinely asked for help and stated that she could not find it where she is located.

As for you comment, "Can you not be more professional yourself?" - I am not a professional! BB is deliberately organised as a 'peer support' community. So, 'no' is my response to that. I deliberately do not project myself as a 'professional'. I am here - like all other members - as a peer. The only areas where this is not true is in the organising of the community, which although informed by the particular needs of our members, this job is managerial in nature, not professional, not counselling, and not advice. Peer support is what we do here.

You need to act accordingly if you wish to do peer support. If you are to organize a "support board" you very well need to behave professionally.

For the froth time in about 36 hours, the BB Mission Statement:

BenzoBuddies: an inclusive, nonjudgmental mutual-support environment for those who wish to withdraw from benzodiazepines.

Members of the BenzoBuddies community are encouraged to exchange ideas, information and support during the process of withdrawal and recovery.

Although outside of the immediate scope of BenzoBuddies, members are free to discuss their wider medical problems and needs as they relate to benzodiazepine use and withdrawal.

Taking or quitting any medicine—including benzodiazepines—should be a personal decision made in consultation with a suitably qualified medical practitioner.

Through a peer-support model, we strive to help members achieve their goals.

As for your remark to me, are you implying Baylissa Fredrick? It certainly looks as though you are. I'm curious, Colin, how should she better educate herself? Sure, she doesn't have a fine website such as this one. One that allows members with absolutely no medical, psychological training at all to guide one another. What is it that she should be improving on?

Why do you think I was referring to Baylissa Frderick? Irrespective of my recent comments about her behaviour at this forum in my recent announcement, she clearly understands what it is like to go through benzodiazepine withdrawal and recovery. Try stepping back for one moment - you seem determined to take offense. Your suggestion there makes no sense. Any sensible reading of my comments would understand that I was referring to counsellors with no personal experience or particular knowledge of benzodiazepine withdrawal. I copy my short post here for clarity (emphasis does not appear in the original):

Because this thread is about her? Also because you seem to have a vendetta against her. Allowing negativity toward her but either deleting or speaking against anything positive to her. Those were my clues that you were speaking of her.

I regret that you do not like my answer. But it is the correct one and the only one I can supply you. I will not advocate for amateur or unprofessional counselling/therapy. A good counsellor will not need to understand the specifics of your medical problems to assist you. Though, they should attempt to educate themselves on the subject to provide a better service. But the truth is that even if the counsellor has experienced benzodiazepine use and withdrawal themselves, their experience and situation will not mirror yours. Just look to the widely differing stories relayed here by your fellow members. A lack of personal experience by the counsellor should not be barrier to providing good counsel (from a good counsellor).

What we (all of us here) provide is peer support. Professional help is very different is not dependent upon the practitioner having a common experience with their client. It might help, but it should not be essential.

Colin out of interest - you are a therapist yes? Do you coach and or counsel patients in withdrawal and/or tapering?

I think as an administrator it is important for you to be impartial. As a therapist I think this is even more important. Especially with your personal views. Choosing to re-post a deleted message with a forward on how you personally feel about the content of the message - I’m wondering if you are a member of your governing body if this is inappropriate.

I did not find Baylissa’s response to Jaytay belittling at all.  I did not find it In appropriate. If someone is reporting an experience that was not actually factual or partly factual then a response is indeed warranted.

As a therapist are you a member of your governing body? As I’m wondering if it is indeed ethical to be putting your views on another therapist on a public forum, especially one such as this.

I find it interesting that posts about Baylissa were mostly all removed.  I did a search the day after with tthe word “Baylissa” & the only ones that came up were from 2012.  You choose to re-post deleted messages eyrh a forward by you on how you felt about them.  Some might say this was leading others as to how they “should” think. If you are going to re-post messages that members have chosen to personally delete with a forward by yourself on how you personally feel about it - there is a lot going on  with this & I would encourage you to discuss this with your therapist - as a therapist outsell I am sure you are in regular therapy as this is a requirement for practising therapists - at least in my country it is. I would also encourage you to discuss why you choose to re-post a members experience who had a not so positive experience with Baylissa but remove the threads and messages of people who did have positive experiences as you personally felt they were endorsements, 

From what I understand BB will be looking at sensorineural and/or deleting messages if the positive reports see don’t meet BB requirements.  If this is the case I would be saddened by this.  As this is the kind of authoritarian control I wound not expect on this forum.

I have an alias on this forum.  Does that make me disingenuous? I would say no.

I have been very clear in all my comments that I am not remotely qualified to be a counsellor. Only that I had received some limited training many years ago, so I have some understanding of the basic principles and have quite strong views (formed out out that training) about what is and what is not acceptable behaviour from a counsellor. Outside of training practice, I have never counselled anyone. Indeed, unless I am very mistaken, this is the first public mention I have made of this (I did make mention of this quite recently within the team area - it is just conceivable that I made similar comment publicly around the same time - if I did, I do not recall).

Many years ago (while running here) I advised a counsellor that I thought it a very bad idea for him/her to counsel while tapering/recovering. The counsellor took on board my concerns/suggestion and took time off. So, my views on this matter have been consistent.

The posts/threads were not deleted. They were removed for review by the team. Two threads (and then a third) were returned to the forum. No posts deleted by members were 'undeleted'. All this was made quite clear in my announcement.

Why would I be a member of the BACP (or similar) if I am not a counsellor and have never operated as counsellor?

I quoted one particular critical posts from a suspended thread because this was the opening post and the member Frederick chose to berate in public at this forum. Frederick knowingly did this with a former client - this was outrageous behavior.

The whole of your post is littered with errors which were completely avoidable from even a cursory reading of my announcement and my other recent posts from the past couple of days. It seems that you did read them, but were determined to find fault, resulting in your numerous errors. Just about everything you wrote there is completely incorrect.

I think you need to go back and read her posts again. She was never deceitful let alone disgraceful. She did not once berate anyone. What exactly are you referring to? And just out of curiousity, are you certain that you or none of your admins were informed that she started an account? I also go by an alias and have hopefully helped people here in the past by the way.

No, I do not care for the tone you used when you answered Givemehope68. If someone is on this board and asking for help, you should know better than to be short with them. "Find a new one if youre dissatisfied." Brilliant. I don't believe someone joins a support group to recieve an answer that they can figure out on their own. They join because of lack of support. That answer is nothing short of smart alec.  Can you not be more professional yourself?

Although an obvious answer/solution, it was apparently not considered by the poster so I simply stated what is probably the better course of action (rather than inaction) in the stated circumstances. It can be difficult to make that leap, especially when we feel so ill. But in the longer term (and probably even the shorter term), find a new, better counsellor/therapist is almost certainly the action we should take. It is exactly the same answer I (and most of us here) would likely supply to a member if they were dissatisfied with their GP or other medical practitioner. Your posture here is a choice - it is not justified by the substance of my reply Givemehope68.

She asked for help. You in turn snapped off a smart alec respose. It actually looks like you were berating her. Yes, I am serious. She genuinely asked for help and stated that she could not find it where she is located.

As for you comment, "Can you not be more professional yourself?" - I am not a professional! BB is deliberately organised as a 'peer support' community. So, 'no' is my response to that. I deliberately do not project myself as a 'professional'. I am here - like all other members - as a peer. The only areas where this is not true is in the organising of the community, which although informed by the particular needs of our members, this job is managerial in nature, not professional, not counselling, and not advice. Peer support is what we do here.

You need to act accordingly if you wish to do peer support. If you are to organize a "support board" you very well need to behave professionally.

For the froth time in about 36 hours, the BB Mission Statement:

BenzoBuddies: an inclusive, nonjudgmental mutual-support environment for those who wish to withdraw from benzodiazepines.

Members of the BenzoBuddies community are encouraged to exchange ideas, information and support during the process of withdrawal and recovery.

Although outside of the immediate scope of BenzoBuddies, members are free to discuss their wider medical problems and needs as they relate to benzodiazepine use and withdrawal.

Taking or quitting any medicine—including benzodiazepines—should be a personal decision made in consultation with a suitably qualified medical practitioner.

Through a peer-support model, we strive to help members achieve their goals.

As for your remark to me, are you implying Baylissa Fredrick? It certainly looks as though you are. I'm curious, Colin, how should she better educate herself? Sure, she doesn't have a fine website such as this one. One that allows members with absolutely no medical, psychological training at all to guide one another. What is it that she should be improving on?

Why do you think I was referring to Baylissa Frderick? Irrespective of my recent comments about her behaviour at this forum in my recent announcement, she clearly understands what it is like to go through benzodiazepine withdrawal and recovery. Try stepping back for one moment - you seem determined to take offense. Your suggestion there makes no sense. Any sensible reading of my comments would understand that I was referring to counsellors with no personal experience or particular knowledge of benzodiazepine withdrawal. I copy my short post here for clarity (emphasis does not appear in the original):

Because this thread is about her? Also because you seem to have a vendetta against her. Allowing negativity toward her but either deleting or speaking against anything positive to her. Those were my clues that you were speaking of her.

I regret that you do not like my answer. But it is the correct one and the only one I can supply you. I will not advocate for amateur or unprofessional counselling/therapy. A good counsellor will not need to understand the specifics of your medical problems to assist you. Though, they should attempt to educate themselves on the subject to provide a better service. But the truth is that even if the counsellor has experienced benzodiazepine use and withdrawal themselves, their experience and situation will not mirror yours. Just look to the widely differing stories relayed here by your fellow members. A lack of personal experience by the counsellor should not be barrier to providing good counsel (from a good counsellor).

What we (all of us here) provide is peer support. Professional help is very different is not dependent upon the practitioner having a common experience with their client. It might help, but it should not be essential.

What ever are you talking about?

We actually returned one thread which includes many positive testimonials:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=209790.0

But our main concern was to tackle what Frederick had done at this forum, so returned those threads for context. It also happens that the first first two threads we returned were actually good threads, particularly the one started by JayTay. As I commented in my announcement, it had been a model discussion until Frederick decided to join up and comment.

Additionally, I also made clear, going forward, that we will not allow testimonials for counsellors who are not affiliated with a professional body operating an effective ethical framework. So, one particular thread was not returned because all it contained were testimonials for a counsellor who's not a member of professional body. Again, all this was explained in my announcement. You clearly see only what you wish to see when you read my posts.

Further, if you are going to quote, please do not add your comments within the quoted content from me - it is confusing for other readers as it is not clear which comments are from me, and which are from you.

[c4...]

I think it’s inappropriate for anyone to comment on a forum about their counseling/coaching sessions with a specific person at all, positive or negative. A strong policy on this would have avoided this whole problem. There is very little appropriate help available to those of us in w/d and now there is even less after this fiasco. That is the sad truth at the end of the day.

Here's a good article to look at. It's good info to know the difference between coaching and psychotherapy.

Thanks for posting this, Eric.  This explains why it's not illegal for Baylissa to do what she does.  My benzo withdrawal coach is based here in the U.S., and it's perfectly legal.  Also, these coaches use very carefully worded medical disclaimers which you have to agree to before booking an appointment.  I'm actually very grateful these coaches are not governed by any constricting entity.

-Jeff 

Colin wrote: The reality is that most member comments about their experiences with Baylissa Fredrick had been positive - Frederick had no problem with those comments of course. But when one member reported a negative experience, she created an account here with disingenuous reasons and under an alias. And then - knowingly - berated her former client on a public platform. Although I do not know her reasons - I can only speculate upon a possible an answer your question (reasons for her not being a member of professional body) - but that's the kind of behaviour which is unlikely to be tolerated by, say, the BACP. Perhaps Frederick wishes to be free of such constraints. Hopefully she will care to post her reasons at her website. I know this, if she had been a member of a professional body, I would have logged a complaint. She exhibited absolutely disgraceful behaviour.

Juusthere wrote: I think you need to go back and read her posts again. She was never deceitful let alone disgraceful. She did not once berate anyone. What exactly are you referring to? And just out of curiousity, are you certain that you or none of your admins were informed that she started an account? I also go by an alias and have hopefully helped people here in the past by the way.

Colin wrote: Although an obvious answer/solution, it was apparently not considered by the poster so I simply stated what is probably the better course of action (rather than inaction) in the stated circumstances. It can be difficult to make that leap, especially when we feel so ill. But in the longer term (and probably even the shorter term), find a new, better counsellor/therapist is almost certainly the action we should take. It is exactly the same answer I (and most of us here) would likely supply to a member if they were dissatisfied with their GP or other medical practitioner. Your posture here is a choice - it is not justified by the substance of my reply Givemehope68.

Juusthere wrote: She asked for help. You in turn snapped off a smart alec respose. It actually looks like you were berating her. Yes, I am serious. She genuinely asked for help and stated that she could not find it where she is located.

Colin wrote: As for you comment, "Can you not be more professional yourself?" - I am not a professional! BB is deliberately organised as a 'peer support' community. So, 'no' is my response to that. I deliberately do not project myself as a 'professional'. I am here - like all other members - as a peer. The only areas where this is not true is in the organising of the community, which although informed by the particular needs of our members, this job is managerial in nature, not professional, not counselling, and not advice. Peer support is what we do here.

Juusthere wrote: You need to act accordingly if you wish to do peer support. If you are to organize a "support board" you very well need to behave professionally.

Colin wrote: Why do you think I was referring to Baylissa Frderick?

Juusthere wrote: Because this thread is about her? Also because you seem to have a vendetta against her. Allowing negativity toward her but either deleting or speaking against anything positive to her. Those were my clues that you were speaking of her.

There you go Colin. I cleaned it up for you.

I think it’s inappropriate for anyone to comment on a forum about their counseling/coaching sessions with a specific person at all, positive or negative. A strong policy on this would have avoided this whole problem. There is very little appropriate help available to those of us in w/d and now there is even less after this fiasco. That is the sad truth at the end of the day.

It's inappropriate and could get people sued. I'm very serious about that.

There truly is very little help and especially from someone that has helped tens of thousands of people. I do not understand how people expect us to move forward in this crisis without a voice. There are people behind us becoming victims as we speak. This is a very dark and sad situation.

There is very little appropriate help available to those of us in w/d and now there is even less after this fiasco. That is the sad truth at the end of the day.

Take heart; Baylissa will not stop doing what she's doing.  She's been under fire in the past for different reasons, but she has always stood her ground and prevailed.  I predict that in the years to come, Baylissa will gain more and more recognition for being a heroine in this area of expertise and a champion for those suffering from psych med withdrawal.

-Jeff 

I was truly hoping that we'd get closure in regards to this issue but clearly that is not the case. I'm discouraged and disappointed that people are spending time on the threads related to Baylissa instead of helping those who are really in need. Do you remember what our mission is here?

If you read Yelp, Next Door or any site like this you would find reviews about many things including health and dental care providers.  There will be some positive reviews and some negative ones. People will sort through them and decide what is best for themselves.  What is so different here? I use these apps quite often when researching resources. 

We all don't wear the same size 'shoes'. What fits for one will not fit for another regardless if they wear the same size.

There is one major point that disturbs me about Baylissa joining the forum.  I did not know, based on her introduction, who she was.  Her intro read like someone who was in need of support through benzo withdrawal. Why be so disingenuous?  Why not be upfront and honest about who you are, especially if you plan to rebut/argue statement posted by another member?

Our team of all volunteers has a lot to deal with in the day to day running of the forum. When there is controversy that becomes disruptive to the smooth running of BB we may remove the thread from the forum so we can discuss the consequences as a team. This is not uncommon.

If you find Baylissa helpful, fine. If you don't, that's fine as well. 

Let's get back to taking care of our own here, our members who need care, help, encouragement. This bickering sullies what we do and it makes me sad. We can do so much better than this.

pianogirl

I was truly hoping that we'd get closure in regards to this issue but clearly that is not the case. I'm discouraged and disappointed that people are spending time on the threads related to Baylissa instead of helping those who are really in need. Do you remember what our mission is here?

If you read Yelp, Next Door or any site like this you would find reviews about many things including health and dental care providers.  There will be some positive reviews and some negative ones. People will sort through them and decide what is best for themselves.  What is so different here? I use these apps quite often when researching resources. 

We all don't wear the same size 'shoes'. What fits for one will not fit for another regardless if they wear the same size.

There is one major point that disturbs me about Baylissa joining the forum.  I did not know, based on her introduction, who she was.  Her intro read like someone who was in need of support through benzo withdrawal. Why be so disingenuous?  Why not be upfront and honest about who you are, especially if you plan to rebut/argue statement posted by another member?

Our team of all volunteers has a lot to deal with in the day to day running of the forum. When there is controversy that becomes disruptive to the smooth running of BB we may remove the thread from the forum so we can discuss the consequences as a team. This is not uncommon.

If you find Baylissa helpful, fine. If you don't, that's fine as well. 

Let's get back to taking care of our own here, our members who need care, help, encouragement. This bickering sullies what we do and it makes me sad. We can do so much better than this.

pianogirl

I was truly hoping that all of this crap would be taken down. There was no need for slander to begin with. I'm discouraged and disappointed that all of this was ever allowed. It seems that the mission of this board was forgotten long ago.

You mention YELP and reviews. That's comparing apples to oranges. How many withdrawal coaches to you see out there? Exactly. Not everyone wants to rely on this board. Trust me. Thanks to how it's operated, it's all many have. That is sad. Not many that have to rely on help are using YELP and such apps every day.

I'm sorry you feel so busy. I think if you actually took crises calls and spent most of your day helping people, you would barely stand if this is too much.

So you are saying that you, Colin or none of the team were informed by Baylissa who she was. That you guys honestly did not know?

There is very little appropriate help available to those of us in w/d and now there is even less after this fiasco. That is the sad truth at the end of the day.

Take heart; Baylissa will not stop doing what she's doing.  She's been under fire in the past for different reasons, but she has always stood her ground and prevailed.  I predict that in the years to come, Baylissa will gain more and more recognition for being a heroine in this area of expertise and a champion for those suffering from psych med withdrawal.

-Jeff

I know that she very much believes in kindness and that what goes around comes around. You are right, Baylissa will be fine and I am so grateful that she will. I'm very sorry for people that need her right now. Yes, I am included in that number. After I calm down, I have to focus on the lessons she has taught me as a person. I truly wish I had the strength to do so right now.

So you are saying that you, Colin or none of the team were informed by Baylissa who she was. That you guys honestly did not know?

I saw her post in Introductions, perhaps it is still there. Baylissa absolutely did not identify herself, and Pamster replied to her post as though she was a newbie, because she posted like one. Like it or not, when Colin described her initial post as disingenuous, he was absolutely correct. No one was slandered, so stop with the drama. Pianogirl is right, it's time to move on from all this drama and get the board back to its intentional use. Or as Hingie posted "Time to move on everyone :D :D" Go ahead and have the last word, you seem to be wanting to nonstop.

A good counsellor will not need to understand the specifics of your medical problems to assist you.
To provide appropriate assistance to a patient experiencing benzo withdrawal, it's really quite important for a counsellor to have a solid understanding of benzo withdrawal and what it can do to people.  If not, the counsellor will almost invariably misdiagnose the patient's mental/emotional symptoms as a mental disorder.  I realize you said that the counsellor can educate him/herself, but they typically do not.  They fake it and/or buy into it partially, but the burden is almost always on the patient to do the educating and convincing.  It may not be critical for the counsellor to have experienced withdrawal him/herself, but it's a huge plus if they have.

-Jeff

It is not for a counsellor to 'diagnose' their clients with any condition. I think you misunderstand the whole premise of counselling. Though, to be fair to you, what constitutes 'counselling' does vary somewhat from country to country. However (if you are in the US), I do not believe counsellors there diagnose their clients either. You might know better than me.

I refer you to a reply I made a little earlier to another of your posts:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=253625.msg3220728#msg3220728

(But I see now that you have already read it).

FYI:

Professional Counselors do diagnose mental illness. We have been extensively trained in this area.  We are required by law to acquire 3000 surpervised clinical hours with patients prior to sitting for the state liscensure exam.  This is obtained with a Masters Degree, a Phd, or PsyD along with completing 750 hours of practicum and clinical experience in order to graduate the program alone.  We have spent many years studying and applying the diagnostic criteria of the DSM IV and V for this purpose.

I would know... the process was grueling. 

A good counsellor will not need to understand the specifics of your medical problems to assist you.
To provide appropriate assistance to a patient experiencing benzo withdrawal, it's really quite important for a counsellor to have a solid understanding of benzo withdrawal and what it can do to people.  If not, the counsellor will almost invariably misdiagnose the patient's mental/emotional symptoms as a mental disorder.  I realize you said that the counsellor can educate him/herself, but they typically do not.  They fake it and/or buy into it partially, but the burden is almost always on the patient to do the educating and convincing.  It may not be critical for the counsellor to have experienced withdrawal him/herself, but it's a huge plus if they have.

-Jeff

It is not for a counsellor to 'diagnose' their clients with any condition. I think you misunderstand the whole premise of counselling. Though, to be fair to you, what constitutes 'counselling' does vary somewhat from country to country. However (if you are in the US), I do not believe counsellors there diagnose their clients either. You might know better than me.

FYI:

Professional Counselors do diagnose mental illness. We have been extensively trained in this area.  We are required by law to acquire 3000 surpervised clinical hours with patients prior to sitting for the state liscensure exam.  This is obtained with a Masters Degree, a Phd, or PsyD along with completing 750 hours of practicum and clinical experience in order to graduate the program alone.  We have spent many years studying and applying the diagnostic criteria of the DSM IV and V for this purpose.

Is it just me who, when confronted with this information, immediately identified that this regulatory change is bound to introduce more people to psychiatric drugs?

There appears to be a systematic drive both to broaden the criteria for diagnosis and to have more people screened. I wonder why  :(. Better awareness should be a good thing but it's hard not to be cynical of this filthy, corrupt industry.

Before you blanket the entire mental heath profession with a broad statement regarding psychiatric drugs....

Most reputable psychologists in private practice are NOT proponents of medication nor are they authorized to prescribe.  Only an MD can write prescriptions such as a psychiatrist or primary care physician.  Most psychologists and counselors believe that all methods of behavior modification, exposure therapy, talk therapys, CBT, etc. should be exhausted before any medication should be dispersed and even then they would need to refer you and that decision would be made by the MD.  Again, I do not know many psycholgist or counselors that "recommend" medication to their patients as a first line of treatment.

-Jeff

FYI:

Hi Lori0413,

As I indicated in the post you quoted from me, how 'counselling' operates might vary from country to country and that Jeff might know better than me. In the UK, 'counsellor' and 'psychotherapist' are not even protected terms. Anyone can set up shop and describe themselves and use either of those two terms.

-Jeff

FYI:

Hi Lori0413,

As I indicated in the post you quoted from me, how 'counselling' operates might vary from country to country and that Jeff might know better than me. In the UK, 'counsellor' and 'psychotherapist' are not even protected terms. Anyone can set up shop and describe themselves and use either of those two terms.

Correct.  However, Simon did not know if this was the case in the US (diagnostic abililty).  I was simply clarifying.  I apologize as I should have been more clear by stating the United States.

Correct.  However, Simon did not know if this was the case in the US (diagnostic abililty).  I was simply clarifying.  I apologize as I should have been more clear by stating the United States.

Ah, I see. Since the quote you included has me at the top of the chain (most recent comment), I thought you were addressing me. Thanks for the clarification.

[78...]