New to Ativan Withdrawl - 8 Years On Drug

[Ha...]

Hi Everyone!

I was prescribed Ativan for the last 8 years for anxiety (0.5mg three times a day so 1.5mg a day total) and I detoxed with a Valium taper on January 2nd.

My physical symptoms are mainly gone now, but I'm exceptionally anxious and depressed. I'm worried I'll never get back to normal. I know everyone's timeline is different, but how soon did you all start to feel better? I do have windows every once in awhile but not often enough.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you so much.

I'm just amazed you don't have many physical symptoms, this is rare so I'm happy for that part of your recovery.  The mental and emotional symptoms are tough to live with but we treat them with the same tool as the physical ones, distraction.  Anything you can do to put your misery out of your mind, even if for just a few minutes is a relief.

Do you have anyone you can talk to, are you seeing a therapist, I've read many members who have been helped by talking through their feelings.  Do you have support at home, does your family understand you have an injury that has to heal?

As far as a timeline, I quit cold turkey and reached full recovery 14 months later, it turns out I'm one of the lucky ones.  But you're right, everyone is different so don't be discouraged, your brain is doing it's best to repair the damage done by the drug.

Thank you so much, Pamster! I do have a supportive therapist and friends and family, so that is very good.

I appreciate all you do for this forum.

I was on Klonopin daily for over 4 years, and my initial go-round with WDs saw me heal incredibly quickly. I was almost completely healed after about 4 months. I stayed that was for the next ~ 11 months.

I used Klonopin twice last April and incredibly this use re-ignited all my symptoms and threw me right back in to acute WDs. So here I am 10+ months later still suffering. My primary symptoms are headaches, head pressure, and cognitive impairment. I've made huge strides over the last month, but I'm not completely healed yet.

I wish you the best in your journey.

Thank you so much, KrockSteady. It's encouraging to heal about your journey.

I hope you continue to heal smoothly.  :)

Thank you so much, KrockSteady. It's encouraging to heal about your journey.

I hope you continue to heal smoothly.  :)

Thank you! You as well. Our experiences are highly individualized. While it may take some years to heal, others are more fortunate. I try to keep this in mind. Also remember healing is rarely linear. It's not unusual to have a great day or two immediately followed by a morning where you wake up and feel like someone filled your head with cement! It's normal.