Help with reinstaing taper after updose setback

[ne...]

Hello,

I've been tapering off a liquid titration of K since Nov. 2019 very slowly. I started at 11.71 ml /.1171 mg and made it down to 2ml in December 2020. I had a few episodes of panic and anxiety during the year but nothing that was to the extreme until the past few weeks. I've had horrible symptoms that have gone on for days and seemed to be getting worse and I haven't been able to function normally and ended up in the ER a couple of times since 1/21. So I ended up taking 9ml on 2/8 to see if that would stabilize me but it didn't so much other than mentally help when I first took it. Then yesterday I took 13ml due to really intense sx's and being scared. I don't want to ruin the last year of progress but I'm scared and extremely uncomfortable at times but I want a safe way off.

After updosing to 9ml from 2 ml for 8 days can I safely go back down? Or do I have to start over at 9ml again? Of course, today was a little better probably due to me taking the 13ml yesturday.

I've been prescribed gabapentin but have yet to try it to help with w/d sx's.  I will also need a good plan to show my doctor to help with the taper again.  Thank you for your help in advance!

Hello,

I've been tapering off a liquid titration of K since Nov. 2019 very slowly. I started at 11.71 ml /.1171 mg and made it down to 2ml in December 2020. I had a few episodes of panic and anxiety during the year but nothing that was to the extreme until the past few weeks. I've had horrible symptoms that have gone on for days and seemed to be getting worse and I haven't been able to function normally and ended up in the ER a couple of times since 1/21. So I ended up taking 9ml on 2/8 to see if that would stabilize me but it didn't so much other than mentally help when I first took it. Then yesterday I took 13ml due to really intense sx's and being scared. I don't want to ruin the last year of progress but I'm scared and extremely uncomfortable at times but I want a safe way off.

After updosing to 9ml from 2 ml for 8 days can I safely go back down? Or do I have to start over at 9ml again? Of course, today was a little better probably due to me taking the 13ml yesturday.

I've been prescribed gabapentin but have yet to try it to help with w/d sx's.  I will also need a good plan to show my doctor to help with the taper again.  Thank you for your help in advance!

Since I haven't received any advice I took 6ml this morning and I'm flying blind. Not sure what to do at this point. I wish someone would advise if it's dangerous to change the dose I've been on now for over a week. If you updose how long does it take the body to become dependant on it while going through w/d symptoms?

I did rapid tapers so I do not have any personal advice to give. But I can speak to conversations I’ve read on here. From what I’ve read it is not suggested to updose. Everyone reacts differently to withdrawals so what works for one person may not work for you. There is really no play book to this. People find out how their body reacts by doing so. Some people never stabilize when they updose. Some people stabilize quickly.  Some people become paradoxical when they try to updose.  Some people take rescue doses and start a cold turkey withdrawal afterwards.  I don’t think people are intentionally ignoring you, they just really don’t know how to respond because we are not doctors, we can only speak from our own experiences. You should reach out to your prescribing doctor and ask what they think is best for you to do in this situation.

I did rapid tapers so I do not have any personal advice to give. But I can speak to conversations I’ve read on here. From what I’ve read it is not suggested to updose. Everyone reacts differently to withdrawals so what works for one person may not work for you. There is really no play book to this. People find out how their body reacts by doing so. Some people never stabilize when they updose. Some people stabilize quickly.  Some people become paradoxical when they try to updose.  Some people take rescue doses and start a cold turkey withdrawal afterwards.  I don’t think people are intentionally ignoring you, they just really don’t know how to respond because we are not doctors, we can only speak from our own experiences. You should reach out to your prescribing doctor and ask what they think is best for you to do in this situation.

Paxia, Thank you for your help. I understand that everyone reacts differently, but do you know why they don't suggest updosing? I ended up back at 9ml after all today so I'm probably stuck at this dose again for now. I just want to feel somewhat normal but I'm still not feeling well at all. My current MD isn't the prescribing doc. but she knows I've been titrating for the past year when I came to the practice after my previous doc retired. She hasn't prescribed me any yet.

My goal is to stabilize and then get off. But I'm wondering from what you said if that wont happen and I would have to just stop all together?  Right before I updosed I was only on 2ml .02mg so It was basically nothing and I think I started to feel sx's but didn't realize at the time until it was full-on.

I assume that they do not suggest updosing because there is no guarantee that you will respond or stabilize on that dose. Jumping from .02mg is ALOT different than jumping off of 1mg. If someone makes too big of a cut and asks for suggestions, most people suggest that they try to hold and stabilize on that dose before even attempting to updose. Because of the chance that it could turn on you. It very well may not. You will have to see.

I asked around about your situation and couldn't find anyone who felt comfortable weighing in on it, I'm sorry.  I know you feel like you're flying blind here but tapering is one big experiment and you're the lab rat and it's scary.

I guess the best thing you can do is to take baby steps to see if you can get back to where you were, and starting at 6 ml is as good a place to start as any.  :-\