Fly your flag! Where in the world are you?

[Sh...]

Of course u will Winnie! One day I’d like to go to Tahiti! I used to surf when I was younger and have always just wanted to sit in a boat at teohupo’o at watch the surfers.

https://www.moorings.com.au/destinations/exotics/tahiti-yacht-charters

Now THATS tempting..!! The mind is willing, body not quite yet.. Wish I could teleport.. :(

Was thinking (yesterdays window) that im due a Fraser Is trip..

:)

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Sh...]

• [ho...]

• [2c...]

• [Be...]

Yeah realistically I’ll get there when we can teleport (never)  :laugh:

I’ve never been to Fraser but I’ve stayed at moreton. Tanglooma is pretty amazing.

https://www.tangalooma.com/location-transport/where-is-tangalooma-moreton-island

You do know what a tease this thread is..??!!

I spent a couple of nights at the wrecks at Tangalooma years ago while bobbing around in the big blue.. -Another lovely place for sure..

I did my first Fraser camping trip a couple of years ago, about 2months after my valium taper.. It went well, but I was a bit like a fish out of water and unorganised.. I didnt realise just how big it was, lucky they sell fuel there.. The lakes and inland forests were divine, and there are some beautiful patches of coral reef behind the Island that were a surprise..

https://www.fraserisland.net/

Lol, I came home from the new dietition appointment to find C18 and his mates had the ski boat de-cobwebbed, washed, and running, already hooked up to his car.. Apparently we are going to Somerset Dam tomorrow..!!

Kids.. -Not sure if they will make me or break me.. (but im taking a pillow)..

Yes I am very lucky to live here... I know it, and I never take it for granted. I’m outside as often as I can be, nearly always at the beach.

I know this sounds crazy, but I was reading a book about Texas the other day, so googled it, and was shocked that Texas has beaches! And beautiful ones at that! In my head I was thinking of cowboys, and dusty country, but holy moly beaches look beautiful there. Isn’t it funny what we picture about places? I realise people from other countries probably think of crocodiles and snakes and red desert when they think of australia, but just like Texas there are places like that but mostly it’s nothing like that unless u seek it out!

I can imagine myself one day living in a small town, reading books and gardening. But to be away from the ocean, I just can’t imagine that. Salt water flows they my veins!

Some how I missed this.  It’s funny you mentioned this. Texas is one of the states we are thinking about moving to.  AND because the area we are considering is close to the ocean...salt water runs in my veins too.  I have to be near some kind of body of water, preferably both ocean and lakes (and rivers/creeks..lol) the place we like in Texas also has lots of lakes too.

It is funny how we have visions in our minds of places...I think we all do that.  I often fantasize about getting a 1.2 acre or acre so I can have a horse again, garden, read and be away from the city.....but I have done that, and I know the amount of WORK it takes. I’m not sure I really want to do it all again.  Maybe if I had a live on the site “hand” (I should start playing the lottery  :laugh).

Marie

Of course u will Winnie! One day I’d like to go to Tahiti! I used to surf when I was younger and have always just wanted to sit in a boat at teohupo’o at watch the surfers.

https://www.moorings.com.au/destinations/exotics/tahiti-yacht-charters

Now THATS tempting..!! The mind is willing, body not quite yet.. Wish I could teleport.. :(

Was thinking (yesterdays window) that im due a Fraser Is trip..

I agree...OMG....I so want to go right now.....that’s where I want to be doing my w/d!!!!

Marie

Isn’t it interesting how many of us love living by or dream of living near the water?  Bodies of water, whether it’s a lake, ocean, or river have a healing and calming effect.  Even the sound of falling rain does.  My husband and I have a dream of retiring to our favorite place on Lake Michigan for that reason.  I can calm myself down just by thinking about it!  ;D:smitten:

[53...]
I watched my ski boat drive away about two hours ago.  Kind of bittersweet, but we hadn't really used it much during the past couple of years.

Isn’t it interesting how many of us love living by or dream of living near the water?  Bodies of water, whether it’s a lake, ocean, or river have a healing and calming effect.  Even the sound of falling rain does.  My husband and I have a dream of retiring to our favorite place on Lake Michigan for that reason.  I can calm myself down just by thinking about it!  ;D:smitten:

Yes....water is so calming.  I often fall asleep listening to some type of water sounds.  We love to go to the beach and stay the night and we have a few favorite spots that we can open our window or patio door and listen to the waves crashing, and smell the ocean air.  It’s just so soothing.

It is calming to just “think” about it.  Hope your dream of retiring on Lake Michigan can become a reality  :)

Marie

I watched my ski boat drive away about two hours ago.  Kind of bittersweet, but we hadn't really used it much during the past couple of years.

Oh no.....That would be so hard.  I lost my Jet ski’ s in a divorce and I miss them so much.  My partner and I talk about getting a ski boat or some jet ski’s but we just don’t know if we have the time.....

Who knows what the future holds  :)

Marie

Oh no.....That would be so hard.  I lost my Jet ski’ s in a divorce and I miss them so much.  My partner and I talk about getting a ski boat or some jet ski’s but we just don’t know if we have the time.....

Who knows what the future holds  :)

Marie

Think I need a jet ski, -I got stuck in the boat after 3hrs of sitting when my legs cramped up.. :(

A tad embarrassing...

Its sad letting go stuff, esp. our toys.. I guess life is ever evolving though, not to mention seemingly uncertain during discontinuation..

-Right now im thinking “house boat”.. :(

Thanks for sharing guys..

Badsocref it is hard to realize it’s time to give up things.  My husband built a beautiful 17’ wooden kayak a few years ago and was meant to build a second one for me but life got in the way and we ended up selling it.  The guy who bought it was so happy though and were able to sell the materials that we had for the second one!  We’ve decided smaller, more lightweight ones are more fitting for us now.  Nothing more peaceful than kayaking. :)

Do you live near the water?

[53...]

I live not far from the mighty Rio Grande.  It's actually more of an irrigation ditch down here.  Most of the year it's entirely dry.  However, it's a mellow float when the water's running in the summer.  Very dry year this year so we'll probably only get about two months of river flow.  The wife has a kayak.  We've got friends to borrow another from when I'm interested.  I like being on the water.

I tried whitewater kayaking for a while.  Back in the 80's, I did some 3+/4- rivers and could even roll (sometimes), but never really mastered it. 

I live not far from the mighty Rio Grande.  It's actually more of an irrigation ditch down here.  Most of the year it's entirely dry.  However, it's a mellow float when the water's running in the summer.  Very dry year this year so we'll probably only get about two months of river flow.  The wife has a kayak.  We've got friends to borrow another from when I'm interested.  I like being on the water.

I tried whitewater kayaking for a while.  Back in the 80's, I did some 3+/4- rivers and could even roll (sometimes), but never really mastered it.

That sounds fun.  I’ve been whitewater rafting a couple of times. Once on the New River in West Virginia and on the Youghiogheny in SW Pennsylvania.

I’ve always been too chicken to try rolling a kayak so good job!

I was always to chicken to try it!  And our big kayak was more of an open water kayak. 

[53...]
I did the Gauley (also WV) once on a raft.  That was exciting!  The Rio Grande has some decent rapids, but nothing like that where I live.  It's just a mellow (beer drinking) float. 

Oh what a nice thread.  I am in the US, California specifically and live in two cities at the same time - Los Angeles and San Francisco.  For this covid lockdown though I am sheltering in LA as it is my true home base.  Have not been up to San Francisco in over a year!  I grew up in Louisiana and Texas and have lived in Florida, Washington DC, Chicago, Houston, and New Orleans.

I am really enjoying this thread...it is motivating me to book a trip (while on a hold this summer) for a white water rafting trip.  I have done a few.  I also use to live up on the coast of Ca and near two rivers and we would go kayaking often.  I had a horrible experience where I went backwards down a waterfall that was about 30 feet.  I was held at the bottom, between huge boulders and all I could see was bubbles/water and the boulders as i was pinned to the river bottom and in my vest....I just calmly put my feet out and said, don’t panic, it should kick you out.....and thank God, it did....all of a sudden I popped out of the water about 50 feet away from the falls......I was shaking and my people were yelling and asking if I was alright...One of the ladies was pinned under her kayak, that ran into ours and she was going over the falls in the wrong spot...anyway, she was saved too.  There were sheer cliffs and no way out, but down the river.  I wanted OUT.. I was DONE!!!!  I wanted to call 911 and be lifted out.  LOL.  So just as I finally started to calm down, about an hour of rafting farther down the river.....I hear more rapids.....PANIC sets in.....OH NO.....well we found a way around, but my father in law, decides to go through, almost drowns his wife, and splits open his leg.  Ok, we never went that far up the river again.  I did not let that stop me from kayaking, but I didn’t go to unknown places again, and when I do white water rafting, I go with pro’s!!!!  I still love the water and the thrills.  But I do respect the power.

Cantfly-  I like the houseboat idea  :thumbsup:

Marie

I am really enjoying this thread...it is motivating me to book a trip (while on a hold this summer) for a white water rafting trip.  I have done a few.  I also use to live up on the coast of Ca and near two rivers and we would go kayaking often.  I had a horrible experience where I went backwards down a waterfall that was about 30 feet.  I was held at the bottom, between huge boulders and all I could see was bubbles/water and the boulders as i was pinned to the river bottom and in my vest....I just calmly put my feet out and said, don’t panic, it should kick you out.....and thank God, it did....all of a sudden I popped out of the water about 50 feet away from the falls......I was shaking and my people were yelling and asking if I was alright...One of the ladies was pinned under her kayak, that ran into ours and she was going over the falls in the wrong spot...anyway, she was saved too.  There were sheer cliffs and no way out, but down the river.  I wanted OUT.. I was DONE!!!!  I wanted to call 911 and be lifted out.  LOL.  So just as I finally started to calm down, about an hour of rafting farther down the river.....I hear more rapids.....PANIC sets in.....OH NO.....well we found a way around, but my father in law, decides to go through, almost drowns his wife, and splits open his leg.  Ok, we never went that far up the river again.  I did not let that stop me from kayaking, but I didn’t go to unknown places again, and when I do white water rafting, I go with pro’s!!!!  I still love the water and the thrills.  But I do respect the power.

Cantfly-  I like the houseboat idea  :thumbsup:

Marie

That was hectic..!! -I was getting ready to jump in and save ya.. (well written)..

I still worry about crocodiles in the back of my mind, though there are none where I have lived for the last 25 yrs.. Dont like sharks much either though..

Cantfly- Thank you...NO one else jumped in to try and save me.... >:(.  I lived in FL for a while and we had a few close calls with alligators.  Then in Costa Rica on a boat trip, we had the oldest child with us and he was 9 we were on a river and there were crocodiles around....I was not very comfortable. Then we went to a place to ride above the canopy (tree’s) in the jungle, and as we are waiting, there is a wooden seating area with greenery, and flowers in the center and people were starting to sit down....but I was looking closely and I see a small green viper snake...YIKES.  I said, GET UP a viper is in there....the guide thanked me, asked us all to step back ( I was already in the building) and they removed it.  I’m also afraid of sharks, but I still boogie board in the ocean.  We absolutely stayed away from the mouths of the river’s.  Those are feeding grounds for the sharks, and every once in a while, sharks do swim up stream in the rivers....so we were always watchful. 

We are thinking about moving to TX, but they have alligators too and I hated the alligators/water when I lived in FL....so that scares me a bit...plus the water moccasins....My son was bit here in CA by a baby rattle snake about 2years ago, and that was pretty scary.  I would be terrified to be swimming in a lake or river and come across a water moccasin, as they are aggressive.  I probably won’t be just swimming in these places in TX.  Boat’s or jet ski’s only....LOL.  With a gun... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Marie

Oh what a nice thread.  I am in the US, California specifically and live in two cities at the same time - Los Angeles and San Francisco.  For this covid lockdown though I am sheltering in LA as it is my true home base.  Have not been up to San Francisco in over a year!  I grew up in Louisiana and Texas and have lived in Florida, Washington DC, Chicago, Houston, and New Orleans.

Wow JBen! Where havent you lived! Amazing!

Agree.....Will you be coming here to SF soon? 

Marie

Agree.....Will you be coming here to SF soon? 

Marie

Yup I’ve lived in a lot of places.  California is home now tho.  I love it here.  Marie - I’ll be up there once I feel like I can get on a plane.  Right now with this benzo recovery thing I have a hard time even being in a car as a passenger haha.  I dont think I could do a plane just yet.  Hopefully in 6 months!