Fly your flag! Where in the world are you?

[Sh...]

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Sh...]

• [ho...]

• [2c...]

• [Be...]

Coastal Northern California.  Heaven on earth...wind, rain, sun, clouds, waves, birds, ocean, sand...love every minute.

If we ever move we want to move to the CA coast (live north of Sacramento currently). The redwoods are breathtaking.  :smitten: :smitten:

I live in central Pennsylvania.  I hate it here.  The weather is horrible and we get too much rain.

What landmarks are there becks?

Coastal Northern California.  Heaven on earth...wind, rain, sun, clouds, waves, birds, ocean, sand...love every minute.

So lucky! What a beautiful part of the world.

If we ever move we want to move to the CA coast (live north of Sacramento currently). The redwoods are breathtaking.  :smitten: :smitten:

Omg u are not that far away from Monterey! How far is it kits! I want to go there so much x

Omg u are not that far away from Monterey! How far is it kits! I want to go there so much x

I think Monterey is about 4 hours from me.

Stop it  :D

We can trade places. I’ll visit oz and you can come here.  :laugh: :laugh:

We can trade places. I’ll visit oz and you can come here.  :laugh: :laugh:

Okay! maybe after covid is over  :laugh:

Gettysburg battlefield is close by, which I always hated.  Depressing going to a civil war area where thousands were slaughtered.  Hershey chocolate is about an hour away.

That is a very sad place indeed. I think I’d like to lay a wreath there tho. I don’t eat chocolate generally but my kids would love Hershey’s

SHAYNAA!!!!!!!! Your home is bee-ooo-tiful!! Can I come and swim there with you when all this bs is over?? (I'll bring my mask, just in case).

:D

Katz

Gettysburg battlefield is close by, which I always hated.  Depressing going to a civil war area where thousands were slaughtered.  Hershey chocolate is about an hour away.

When I lived in MD, I wasn't far from Gettysburg and Fairfield. I worked in Gettysburg during tourist season. My Great, Great, Grandfather was George Crawford Platt. He won the Medal of Honor for his actions during the Civil War, He fought in the battle of Fairfield during the Gerttysburg battles. He was an Irish Immmigrant to the US at age 19, who enlisted because he was so moved by a speech by President Lincoln. He was working in the shipyard in Philadeplphia where he turned age 20 and joined the Union. Because of his heroic service during the war, he was also granted citizenship after his service ended. After his service he returned to work in the shipyard. The Platt bridge in Philly is named for him. I've seen all I care to see of Gettysburg, I now live near Historic New Castle in Delaware, Old New Castle has houses going back to before the Revolutionary War, and a historic tavern that has changed very little.

SHAYNAA!!!!!!!! Your home is bee-ooo-tiful!! Can I come and swim there with you when all this bs is over?? (I'll bring my mask, just in case).

:D

Katz

U sure can!  ;)

When I lived in MD, I wasn't far from Gettysburg and Fairfield. I worked in Gettysburg during tourist season. My Great, Great, Grandfather was George Crawford Platt. He won the Medal of Honor for his actions during the Civil War, He fought in the battle of Fairfield during the Gerttysburg battles. He was an Irish Immmigrant to the US at age 19, who enlisted because he was so moved by a speech by President Lincoln. He was working in the shipyard in Philadeplphia where he turned age 20 and joined the Union. Because of his heroic service during the war, he was also granted citizenship after his service ended. After his service he returned to work in the shipyard. The Platt bridge in Philly is named for him. I've seen all I care to see of Gettysburg, I now live near Historic New Castle in Delaware, Old New Castle has houses going back to before the Revolutionary War, and a historic tavern that has changed very little.

What an amazing story lottie x Thanku for sharing that. He was a brave man getting involved in a war that was his. So very brave and what a great way to honor him x

Hi everyone!

I live in SW Ohio in a very small town (pop. 1300)  in a rural farming county. I grew up here in the country. We are a 30 min. drive from Dayton (Wright Brothers) and 45 min from Cincinnati which is a great, historical city.  We like living in the country but being a short drive to what the city can offer.

We would love to move to the west side of MI in the Traverse City area.  It’s beautiful up there by the lake .  Maybe when we retire. :)

Wow! You guys sure live in some beautiful and historic places!  To you Canadians, my home away from home is in Ontario on the Bruce Pennisula between Lake Huron and Georgian Bay.  My parents actually retired there and got to live in that beautiful place for 13 years .

I live in the Greater Toronto Area in Ontario, Canada!!!

A town just beyond the City of Toronto!

It's very pretty here, lots of hiking trails and Lake Ontario waterfront, we love to bike ride on the waterfront trail!

2cats:

Ironically, the last vacation we took, was the summer of 2019 to Tobermory in Bruce Peninsula National Park.

We rented a beautiful cottage on the edge of Lake Huron and the sunsets were amazing, could see them right from the bed!

Kayaked, barely swam (water was only a few degrees celsius), hiked to the Grotto, what an amazing place!

Took a day trip to Flowerpot island, just stunning!

That was one of our favourite trips, and we've been some great places!

What town did your parents live - right in Tobermory?

We fell in love with that place, I envisioned retiring somewhere up there, now, I don't think that will happen.....

Shayna:

Holy crap, what a beautiful place to live - you're very lucky!!

Winnie

Winnie

I’m so happy you got experience The Bruce Peninsula!!! I know all of those places well.  My parents lived at Dyers Bay on the Georgian Bay side, about halfway up the peninsula. They kept their American citizenship but had residency visas.  It is our families home away from home although none of us kids were in position to keep their property after they had to leave for serious health problems.

I will tell you that it has changed quite a bit in the last 5 years.  The hordes of people that now go in the summer is a somewhat new thing.  We haven’t been there since 2017 and before that had been going after Labor Day to avoid the crowds.

I hope you will return some day after COVID.  We have friends there.  So far the Bruce has only had a couple of cases of Covid. 

One of the most beautiful places!!

• 2 weeks later...
I live in Gatineau, Quebec in Canada. It is the French province haha. We do have fabulous scenery here but I rather go up north for the beautiful mountains and lakes. I also enjoy crossing over the bridge to Ontario. I have visited so many beautiful landscapes there.