isolated or simply staying at home - what do you cook?

[Ma...]

Marigold, a use for those potatoes -- Colcannon. An Irish dish of potatoes and cabbage/kale and leeks. My partner made it for St. Paddy's Day. Serious comfort food.

Colcannon-Potatoes_EXPS_SDFM18_29291_D10_03_1b.jpg

Just peel and mash potatoes, cook cabbage or kale separately, mix together to get flavors blended (add leeks here), heat on stove for bit, add butter, salt and pepper, then serve. You can top with bacon bits if you like.

Mmmmm.

Katz

I want comfort food. I will do that on monday!!

Partner just announced he will quit smoking CT from now on, because then the chance he will survive will be bigger.

Well the chance I will murder him is much more likely, but okey, I am TOTALLY FINE having an choleric man in this isolation. I am the luckiest woman in the world. Potatoes, carrots, mushrooms (all rotten by the way) and a choleric non smoking male human with constant fear of corona.

I am wondering what he will carry home from the supermarket next week in acute withdrawal. I assume: Beer, chips. And carrots. Just to annoy me.

Really? Quitting smoking after decades right now? (did I ask that question? of course I did. And I got the answer I assumed I would get in exactly the mood I thought he would be in).

I will keep you updated - at least you will giggle about my current situation here.

.. can I use a carrot as a murder weapon. that is the question. (No, officer I have no clue how this carrot came into his throat, he just FELL on the carrot.)

Please keep us posted.  I chewed toothpicks, the plastic kind.  Gives you something to do with mouth and hands  :D.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ma...]

• [Ma...]

• [tr...]

• [br...]

Hello fellow P.D.X er Katz .

Your dish reminds me of that old Brit . favourite Bubble and Squeak . Leftover mashed spuds and cabbage or sprouts made into patties and given a fry up

Your dish reminds me of that old Brit . favourite Bubble and Squeak . Leftover mashed spuds and cabbage or sprouts made into patties and given a fry up

Hiya rabbit. Yup, I'm over here in Corvallis. Those UK folks . . . endless uses for leftover spuds!  ::)

Katz

[b0...]

Marigold, a use for those potatoes -- Colcannon. An Irish dish of potatoes and cabbage/kale and leeks. My partner made it for St. Paddy's Day. Serious comfort food.

Colcannon-Potatoes_EXPS_SDFM18_29291_D10_03_1b.jpg

Just peel and mash potatoes, cook cabbage or kale separately, mix together to get flavors blended (add leeks here), heat on stove for bit, add butter, salt and pepper, then serve. You can top with bacon bits if you like.

Mmmmm.

Katz

*drool*

Cannot believe your partner is going CT on smokes NOW....

The potato dish looks lovely. tonight was "use up leftovers night".

I will create a fresh dish tomorrow.

Tonight and totally without shame I am going to serve up a mess of buttery mashed potatoes and baked beans . I may even throw in canned creamed corn on the side . I have this craving for what we used to call ' Nursery Food ', which in my long ago childhood was served up by my Nannie with loads of T.L.C. Maybe what I am really craving is the security of Nannie ruling her nursery where nothing bad was ever allowed to happen .  :'(

Tonight and totally without shame I am going to serve up a mess of buttery mashed potatoes and baked beans . I may even throw in canned creamed corn on the side . I have this craving for what we used to call ' Nursery Food ', which in my long ago childhood was served up by my Nannie with loads of T.L.C. Maybe what I am really craving is the security of Nannie ruling her nursery where nothing bad was ever allowed to happen .  :'(

I so understand that, I want my mom's care right now.  She wasn't a lovey dovey woman, but when we were ill, we were always treated very special and your post brought back that good memory

:smitten: :smitten:

Tonight and totally without shame I am going to serve up a mess of buttery mashed potatoes and baked beans . I may even throw in canned creamed corn on the side . I have this craving for what we used to call ' Nursery Food ', which in my long ago childhood was served up by my Nannie with loads of T.L.C. Maybe what I am really craving is the security of Nannie ruling her nursery where nothing bad was ever allowed to happen

I want my Gramma! She taught me to read and snuggled with me and made Butter Tarts. Waaaaah.  :'( :'(

Tonight and totally without shame I am going to serve up a mess of buttery mashed potatoes and baked beans . I may even throw in canned creamed corn on the side . I have this craving for what we used to call ' Nursery Food ', which in my long ago childhood was served up by my Nannie with loads of T.L.C. Maybe what I am really craving is the security of Nannie ruling her nursery where nothing bad was ever allowed to happen

I want my Gramma! She taught me to read and snuggled with me and made Butter Tarts. Waaaaah.  :'( :'(

I'm not your Gramma but I can do virtual hugs  :mybuddy: :mybuddy: :hug: :hug: :therethere:

LY Katz,  :smitten: :smitten:

Snow Pea Salad

This bright, crunchy salad gets a hint of smoky sweetness from the maple syrup in the vinaigrette. Slideshow: More Pea Recipes

Ingredients

4 teaspoons apple cider vinegar 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice 1 garlic clove, minced 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard 1/4 cup canola oil Kosher salt Pepper 1/2 teaspoon black sesame seeds 1/2 teaspoon white sesame seeds 3/4 pound snow peas, trimmed 2 cups shelled fresh English peas 1/2 cup mixed sprouts, such as radish and alfalfa 1 radish, thinly sliced 1/4 cup torn mint leaves

How to Make It

Step 1   

In a small bowl, whisk the cider vinegar with the lemon juice and garlic; let stand for 
5 minutes. Whisk in the maple syrup and mustard, then gradually whisk in the oil. Season the vinaigrette with salt and pepper.

Step 2   

In a small skillet, toast the sesame seeds over high heat, tossing occasionally, until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes.

Step 3   

Halve one-third of the snow peas crosswise on the diagonal and julienne the rest. In a saucepan of salted boiling water, blanch the snow peas and English peas until crisp-tender, 30 seconds. Drain and rinse under cold water; pat dry. In a bowl, toss the peas with the sprouts, radish, half of the mint and 6 tablespoons of the vinaigrette. Transfer to a platter and top with the remaining mint and the toasted sesame seeds. Serve the remaining vinaigrette at the table.

Sponsored Stories

I'm not your Gramma but I can do virtual hugs  :mybuddy: :mybuddy: :hug: :hug: :therethere:

Thanks, Mary. I'll snuggle with Bianca. But she can't make Butter Tarts, sob.

Katz

Thank you so much for keeping the thread, means ME, alive.

I talked on the phone to a friend last night and she send me a link to a free yoga/fitness class given by another friend of her. Today: "tiny, lazy weight lifting". I just become more and more angry about him. Its not new he cannot handle his emotions, its clear now that this has NOTHING to do with me (good learning cause in wd he tortured me because he could not handle my agony, it had nothing nothing nothing to do with me as a person) - but to quit smoking was the most stupid idea ever. But what can I say... looking around I see men driving their wives crazy by hurting themselves in the garden or while working on the cars. Its a running gag that women are now sticking together, keeping the families running, while the husbands are behaving like babies. Or - in my case - like overachiever. I experience what women feel when the husband retires right now. My routine is gone. My structure is gone. my dog is gone. Hiding in the bushes in the garden. My pot in the kitchen is gone, no one knows where it is.

I am thankful I can be in the bedroom and close the door, I cannot imagine how the chinese couples or families could survive on 30 squaaremeters with 2-6 people in one tiny apartment.

Sorry for the rant. More will follow.

I want a grandma hitting him with a rolling pin!!

The pea salad sounds so delicious, but I cannot get most of the ingredients :'(

Can someone give me a recipe for a dish with apples?  I cannot eat apples if not baked or cooked and OF COURSE we have many apples here and I do not want to throw them away. (I have to work on my mood :'(

Marigold, I am sorry.  Try not to be sad, we are all here for you :):smitten: :smitten:

Quick Microwave Apple Crisp

This microwave apple crisp is the best and easiest thing to make with all those apples you bought because they were on sale. You don’t need to turn on your oven and it’s ready in 5 minutes. And it’s single-serve, vegan, and gluten-free. So take that, traditional crisps.

I’m a big fan of crumbles, crisps, and anything with a crumbly or streusel topping. Those buttery, brown sugary nuggets with texture from oats get me every time. But while I like baking crumbles, usually I don’t need or want a whole pan. It’s the type of dessert that’s really best served warm, with a big dollop of whipped cream or ice cream on top, and after the first, warm juicy piece, the leftovers just don’t measure up.

No need to worry about leftovers here. This quick apple crisp serves one generously, or two more modestly if you feel like sharing.

When I posted the 5-minute Fudgy Chocolate Brownie Microwave Mugcake with Vanilla Glaze, I wondered what else I could make easily and successfully in the microwave. Cooking things in the microwave can be a finnicky proposition, but this came out beautifully and quickly.

Sauteed Tofu and Veggies

Sautéed tofu with veggies is a go-to among those pursuing a plant-based eating style. Rosmarie Wirz/Getty Images

The idea of forgoing meat and adding more plants to your plate may seem daunting, but the task is anything but with this dinner idea. Powered by the plant-based protein tofu, this bowl is packed with zesty flavor and crunchy texture. Broccoli, carrots, and bell peppers are just a few of the nutrient-rich veggies you’ll find inside. Trust us: You’ll want to keep this stir-fry recipe on hand if you’re on a plant-based diet.

Serves 4

Ingredients

Marinated Tofu

1 block extra-firm tofu, strained and pressed to remove extra moisture

1 tbsp sesame oil

1 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce

½ tsp ground black pepper

1 tbsp cornstarch

Stir-Fry

3 tbsp olive oil, divided

1 pinch sea salt

1 pinch ground black pepper

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 tbsp fresh ginger, finely grated

1 small head broccoli, cut into florets

2 carrots, sliced into coins

1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced

1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced

1 cup mung bean sprouts

2 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce

1 tbsp oyster sauce

1 tsp cornstarch

1 green onion, thinly sliced

Directions

Chop the tofu into bite-size pieces.

In a bowl, combine the sesame oil, soy sauce, pepper, and cornstarch. Add the tofu to this bowl and allow it to marinate for at least 30 minutes, stirring periodically to evenly coat the tofu.

Place 2 tablespoons (tbsp) of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the marinated tofu, season with salt and pepper, and cook until evenly browned on all sides, about 7 to 8 minutes. Remove the tofu from the skillet and set aside on a covered plate.

Add the remaining tbsp of olive oil to the skillet. Stir in the garlic and ginger and cook for about 1 minute.

Add the broccoli and carrots to the skillet and cook, stirring frequently. Cook until broccoli starts to become bright green in color. Add the peppers and sprouts and continue to cook, stirring frequently until the peppers begin to soften.

In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, oyster sauce, and cornstarch. Add this mixture to the stir-fry and cook until the sauce thickens.

Serve with a garnish of green onions.

:)

Inspiration Mary on the idea of simple to make cobblers . I love a blackberry / apple crumbly topped cobbler . You can use any type of berry and it is delicious especially when served warm with very unhealthy ice cream.

I'm also getting into the idea of planning ahead and batch cooking . For example a couple of pounds of ground turkey can make a great turkey loaf and leftovers can go into an Italian sauce for pasta which can last for several meals .

Sauteed Tofu and Veggies

Sautéed tofu with veggies is a go-to among those pursuing a plant-based eating style. Rosmarie Wirz/Getty Images

The idea of forgoing meat and adding more plants to your plate may seem daunting, but the task is anything but with this dinner idea. Powered by the plant-based protein tofu, this bowl is packed with zesty flavor and crunchy texture. Broccoli, carrots, and bell peppers are just a few of the nutrient-rich veggies you’ll find inside. Trust us: You’ll want to keep this stir-fry recipe on hand if you’re on a plant-based diet.

Serves 4

Ingredients

Marinated Tofu

1 block extra-firm tofu, strained and pressed to remove extra moisture

1 tbsp sesame oil

1 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce

½ tsp ground black pepper

1 tbsp cornstarch

Stir-Fry

3 tbsp olive oil, divided

1 pinch sea salt

1 pinch ground black pepper

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 tbsp fresh ginger, finely grated

1 small head broccoli, cut into florets

2 carrots, sliced into coins

1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced

1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced

1 cup mung bean sprouts

2 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce

1 tbsp oyster sauce

1 tsp cornstarch

1 green onion, thinly sliced

Directions

Chop the tofu into bite-size pieces.

In a bowl, combine the sesame oil, soy sauce, pepper, and cornstarch. Add the tofu to this bowl and allow it to marinate for at least 30 minutes, stirring periodically to evenly coat the tofu.

Place 2 tablespoons (tbsp) of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the marinated tofu, season with salt and pepper, and cook until evenly browned on all sides, about 7 to 8 minutes. Remove the tofu from the skillet and set aside on a covered plate.

Add the remaining tbsp of olive oil to the skillet. Stir in the garlic and ginger and cook for about 1 minute.

Add the broccoli and carrots to the skillet and cook, stirring frequently. Cook until broccoli starts to become bright green in color. Add the peppers and sprouts and continue to cook, stirring frequently until the peppers begin to soften.

In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, oyster sauce, and cornstarch. Add this mixture to the stir-fry and cook until the sauce thickens.

Serve with a garnish of green onions.

I like that. Thats why I eat very often. I just left out the oyster sauce and just use tamari, that's the soy sauce without gluten. Its delicious! good one!

Inspiration Mary on the idea of simple to make cobblers . I love a blackberry / apple crumbly topped cobbler . You can use any type of berry and it is delicious especially when served warm with very unhealthy ice cream.

I'm also getting into the idea of planning ahead and batch cooking . For example a couple of pounds of ground turkey can make a great turkey loaf and leftovers can go into an Italian sauce for pasta which can last for several meals .

I did a kind of.. cobbler today out of 2 apples and it was good!

Preparing food is not new for me, I soak beens and lentils and my rice, so I have always bowls with something that is soaked in my kitchen and I use to prepare big pots of everything, I then can combine and mix and I like that.. So the first day I cook a meal and the 2d and 3d day I can use the leftovers. In my fridge there are always 3-4 different ready to eat vegetables, salads, leftover meat or fish and I have 1001 seeds and nuts,... and a very very small kitchen. Oh, and a lot of herbs. Dry and fresh.

I just love the fact that with this technique I can just take a big bowl, put 4-5 different ingredients into it and then eat it with a dressing with tahini for example, on youtube this is called "buddha bowl". A lots of nutritions and ready to grab after a stressful day. When I prepare stews or soups I always produce more and these portions go to the deep freezer...

So - the cooking is not my problem. My problem is the idiot with his agressive behavior here.

I was looking for an apartment the last 2 years now, very horrible experience since I could not find anything I could pay and my income is still too low. Its a dilemma and I feel horrible with it.

That's an awful position to be in Marigold.  It's hard enough living with someone unpleasant during the best of times, add in wd and the CV, well that's too much.  I am sorry.  I wish I could help.  We are here, you vent all you want  :smitten: :smitten:

That's an awful position to be in Marigold.  It's hard enough living with someone unpleasant during the best of times, add in wd and the CV, well that's too much.  I am sorry.  I wish I could help.  We are here, you vent all you want  :smitten: :smitten:

Thank you. I can handle a lot and I can hold on and wait until finally a door opens. But today was just enough. I just realized AGAIN (as if this was a new thought, Marigold..) how much I depend on him and how this has an impact on my health. But there is no solution. Nothing. None.

Its amazing that I still can hold on and be happy although he is around, but I can only image how much energy this takes away from me. :-\

Its just horrible that I cannot start a life I deserve. I think I am able to be happy no matter what and make the best of it.. but the circumstances are so bad that I need help financially and there is no one. I have written so many posts about it and may have bored out some people here with this problem... so I will stop it for now.. But this crisis has actually brought this topic back on the table :'( 

Thank you. I can handle a lot and I can hold on and wait until finally a door opens. But today was just enough. I just realized AGAIN (as if this was a new thought, Marigold..) how much I depend on him and how this has an impact on my health. But there is no solution. Nothing. None.

Its amazing that I still can hold on and be happy although he is around, but I can only image how much energy this takes away from me. :-\

It does use up your energy, I wish you could find away to let his actions just roll off your back and not take your energy.  You need that energy for you, not someone being a jerk.  :-\

It does use up your energy, I wish you could find away to let his actions just roll off your back and not take your energy.  You need that energy for you, not someone being a jerk.  :-\

Sometimes I have to say, if someone like me can make progress, living in such an unhealthy situation for over 10 years now - then everybody can. As I said, I already have managed to igrnoe him and love myself no matter if he loves me or not.. so my love for myself is independent .. but when it comes to money.. you cannot work "on" money.. you need to be able to work, and in my country, full time. And I just know that a separation would be so tough on me that I would not be able to work at all any more for a while.. or I had to move far away from my current job because the area is so expensive - so for both ideas - its a nope. Not possible. But living on hold for a long time feels exhausting.

Thanks for letting me vent!

Back to recipes!

Let me add what makes me happy in exactly these situations:

Its my chili. Its not a real chili but it is my "chili":

2 cans of red beans (already cooked)

500 gram minced beef (or is it "beef mince"?? I do not remember the right word)

1 onion

1 can of corn (already cooked)

3 big peppers, a green, a red and a yellow one:-)

1-2 little, very spicy hot chili peppers (be careful!!)

Garlic

parsley

You need a big big pot.

Brown the meat fast until its completely done, add the vegetables, which you have chopped in little pieces. Add a cup of water, put at lid on the pot and let it boil at medium heat for a long time, then add sea salt 3-4 tablespoons. Then add the chopped parsley. Last step and only for 2 minutes - add the hot chili peppers, - but test after some seconds how spicy the dish already is - depends on the brand and on how hot you want the dish to be.

I serve this in a little bowl (again, its like I am a dog or a cow) and on top I give a big tablespoon of sour cream!

This is my one and only heart repair cure. Also good when I have my period or other stuff woman get 8)

Sometimes I have to say, if someone like me can make progress, living in such an unhealthy situation for over 10 years now - then everybody can. As I said, I already have managed to igrnoe him and love myself no matter if he loves me or not.. so my love for myself is independent .. but when it comes to money.. you cannot work "on" money.. you need to be able to work, and in my country, full time. And I just know that a separation would be so tough on me that I would not be able to work at all any more for a while.. or I had to move far away from my current job because the area is so expensive - so for both ideas - its a nope. Not possible. But living on hold for a long time feels exhausting.

Thanks for letting me vent!

Back to recipes!

Let me add what makes me happy in exactly these situations:

Its my chili. Its not a real chili but it is my "chili":

2 cans of red beans (already cooked)

500 gram minced beef (or is it "beef mince"?? I do not remember the right word)

1 onion

1 can of corn (already cooked)

3 big peppers, a green, a red and a yellow one:-)

1-2 little, very spicy hot chili peppers (be careful!!)

Garlic

parsley

You need a big big pot.

Brown the meat fast until its completely done, add the vegetables, which you have chopped in little pieces. Add a cup of water, put at lid on the pot and let it boil at medium heat for a long time, then add sea salt 3-4 tablespoons. Then add the chopped parsley. Last step and only for 2 minutes - add the hot chili peppers, - but test after some seconds how spicy the dish already is - depends on the brand and on how hot you want the dish to be.

I serve this in a little bowl (again, its like I am a dog or a cow) and on top I give a big tablespoon of sour cream!

This is my one and only heart repair cure. Also good when I have my period or other stuff woman get 8)

My hubby loves chilli, will definitely let him read  :D:thumbsup:

I don't know why, but I get all these recipes from Food and Wine, I don't cook or drink  :laugh: :laugh:  But I promise this is last one for the night!  :smitten:

Chicken and White Bean Cassoulet

Slow cooking chicken drumsticks and white beans make for a hearty and delicious dinner. Slideshow: More Crock Pot and Slow Cooker Recipes

Ingredients

1/2 pound gigante or white lima beans 6 chicken drumsticks Kosher salt Freshly ground black pepper 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil 2 medium leeks, washed and chopped 4 carrots, cut into rounds 4 cups chicken stock 2 cups water 2 bay leaves 2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley

How to Make It

Step 1   

In a large bowl, soak the beans overnight with water to cover by 3 inches.

Step 2   

Season the chicken with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. In a 5-to 6-quart crock pot, heat the oil over high heat until hot. Sear the chicken, turning, until browned, 6 to 8 minutes total.

Step 3   

Stir the leeks and carrots into the crock pot, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the leeks are softened, about 4 minutes. Stir in the stock, water, bay leaves, reserved beans, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Simmer the stew on low, covered, until the meat and beans are very tender, about 5 hours. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve, sprinkled with the parsley.