isolated or simply staying at home - what do you cook?

[Ma...]

thank you all for the recipes!! I tried the carrots with garlic today and it was really good!

Actually I cannot eat more carrots. This is insane.

But - I could just chop and freeze them or not???

I would think you could, but I would wait on more answers, lol.  I am not known for my cooking.

Marigold, I heard this from a Dr today , I would like to drop here, I thought it was a great idea.  Nothing depressing at all and maybe helpful.

"I heard a Dr say this morning, he uses the term "physical distancing instead of social because people may understand that better, I liked it better too.  People can still be social on FB, twitter, Skype etc;, but physical distancing means Staying Apart!!  Maybe that will sink in for some of the people that just don't seem to get it.      Love you all, Mary"

OK guys, get on with those recipes , has been really fun and interesting  :laugh: :laugh:

I think we were watching the same network.  ;)

Made a lot of sense huh?  :). You be taking care of yourself Pamster, LY  :smitten: :smitten:

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ma...]

• [Ma...]

• [tr...]

• [br...]

first of all that soup recipe is something I might just make!

Marigold...I used to do a lot of food preserving (it was a hobby I got into). Anyway, in order to freeze your carrots you have to cook them a bit first..not fully, but soften them so they're still a bit firm. Let them cool. then you can sore them in a container to put in the freezer. this is the procedure for most vegetables for freezing.

As for my carrot cake idea...I found recipes that use coconut flour - but they require A LOT of eggs - which is not good for you. So the cake is probably not an option for you - sorry.

first of all that soup recipe is something I might just make!

Marigold...I used to do a lot of food preserving (it was a hobby I got into). Anyway, in order to freeze your carrots you have to cook them a bit first..not fully, but soften them so they're still a bit firm. Let them cool. then you can sore them in a container to put in the freezer. this is the procedure for most vegetables for freezing.

As for my carrot cake idea...I found recipes that use coconut flour - but they require A LOT of eggs - which is not good for you. So the cake is probably not an option for you - sorry.

ah okey, I understand! Sad for me with the cake... :-\

We had a recipe thread years ago here on the forum. I found a delicious recipe for turkey burgers that my husband really liked. He very kindly remarked that my previous attempts at making them tasted like cardboard.  ;)

I do like to cook and of course now I'm cooking a lot. I always do cook from scratch and never use mixes anyway.  There are days I get tired of it since my husband's nights to cook usually mean we go out, which of course we're not doing now.

pianogirl  :smitten:

We had a recipe thread years ago here on the forum. I found a delicious recipe for turkey burgers that my husband really liked. He very kindly remarked that my previous attempts at making them tasted like cardboard.  ;)

I do like to cook and of course now I'm cooking a lot. I always do cook from scratch and never use mixes anyway.  There are days I get tired of it since my husband's nights to cook usually mean we go out, which of course we're not doing now.

Lol, lol.  He should cook on his days pianogirl, even if it's sandwiches  :laugh::D

Gratin de Marigold (in English: Throw what you find in the fridge into an oven dish, put Feta cheese on top and that's it):

... I think the recipe is clear. I will add some more vegan milk and of course.. carrots. I will remember carrots together with corona for the rest of my life.

Gratin de Marigold (in English: Throw what you find in the fridge into an oven dish, put Feta cheese on top and that's it):

... I think the recipe is clear. I will add some more vegan milk and of course.. carrots. I will remember carrots together with corona for the rest of my life.

Lol, lol.  Excellent recipe and we are all going to have leftovers.  Some with more carrots than others  :laugh: :laugh:

Yay for this thread.  I love to cook.  I just got a turkey yesterday and cooked it.  I know people often think they can mess a turkey up, but the key to a moist turkey is cooking it in a roaster with the LID ON for most of the cooking time.  You only need the lid off for the last hour or so, to crisp up the skin.  We are going to have a lot of turkey this week. 

Yay for this thread.  I love to cook.  I just got a turkey yesterday and cooked it.  I know people often think they can mess a turkey up, but the key to a moist turkey is cooking it in a roaster with the LID ON for most of the cooking time.  You only need the lid off for the last hour or so, to crisp up the skin.  We are going to have a lot of turkey this week.

sounds yummy....

Partner just came home from shopping. He MIGHT be over-reacting to the crisis... now I have mushrooms, tons of mushrooms, and a red kale.

And (I do not know why and I don't ask because his mood is uhm.... ) potatoes. No one here eats them.

What about the old tale about women sitting around the fireplace and the men would carry home what they found and hunted???

Mushrooms. Carrots..

I am not a rabbit.

Lol, lol.  He should cook on his days pianogirl, even if it's sandwiches  :laugh::D

He's not so handy in the kitchen although he's finally mastered making our morning smoothies.  I try to be patient because it takes him 3 times longer then me to do it. Other then that, he's pretty helpless.

He's not so handy in the kitchen although he's finally mastered making our morning smoothies.  I try to be patient because it takes him 3 times longer then me to do it. Other then that, he's pretty helpless.

Its nice how we deal with "the men living in our household" 8) I mean, I am more patient than the dog. She is NOT amused when dinner is not ready at 3 pm.  :laugh:

sounds yummy....

Partner just came home from shopping. He MIGHT be over-reacting to the crisis... now I have mushrooms, tons of mushrooms, and a red kale.

And (I do not know why and I don't ask because his mood is uhm.... ) potatoes. No one here eats them.

What about the old tale about women sitting around the fireplace and the men would carry home what they found and hunted???

Mushrooms. Carrots..

I am not a rabbit.

Oh, that's hilarious Marigold  :laugh: :laugh:  This thread really is very welcome

We come together, distract, cook, distract again and find humor, thank you  :laugh: :laugh: :smitten:

Oh my word - laughed so hard at this I had some tears in my eyes! that's twice this week you've made me laugh...you're quite a witty girl!

when this nightmare is all said and done we should compile a BB cookbook,

" Global Gourmet Corona Survival Recipes from BB"

it will be a top seller - we'll make Marigold go to all the book signings.

Carrots and turnips cooked together and mashed with a little butter are delicious .

Oh great!!  Marigold, brave rabbit gave you a way to keep eating those carrots 🥕  :laugh: :laugh:

My problem is that I hate us to eat anything that I can't cook, so my standby salads are out for the duration . Another problem is that the extra carbs and comfort food  plus emotional eating  are starting to show up on the scale, which already was not a happy place . :( I have the feeling that if I survive this lot I will wind up the size of a small house or at the very least a garden shed .

My problem is that I hate us to eat anything that I can't cook, so my standby salads are out for the duration . Another problem is that the extra carbs and comfort food  plus emotional eating  are starting to show up on the scale, which already was not a happy place . :( I have the feeling that if I survive this lot I will wind up the size of a small house or at the very least a garden shed .

I understand that completely brave rabbit.  Just too much other stuff to worry about right now, will just conquer that, after  ;):D

I think that you are right Mary  .We are already on overload without over thinking the whole ' What to eat and What not to eat issue '.

I'm loving the way this post is evolving  .

I think that you are right Mary  .We are already on overload without over thinking the whole ' What to eat and What not to eat issue '.

I'm loving the way this post is evolving  .

Right now, we need what enjoyment we can find ......everyday :smitten: :smitten:  This thread quickly became one on them  :D

Marigold, a use for those potatoes -- Colcannon. An Irish dish of potatoes and cabbage/kale and leeks. My partner made it for St. Paddy's Day. Serious comfort food.

Colcannon-Potatoes_EXPS_SDFM18_29291_D10_03_1b.jpg

Just peel and mash potatoes, cook cabbage or kale separately, mix together to get flavors blended (add leeks here), heat on stove for bit, add butter, salt and pepper, then serve. You can top with bacon bits if you like.

Mmmmm.

Katz

Marigold, a use for those potatoes -- Colcannon. An Irish dish of potatoes and cabbage/kale and leeks. My partner made it for St. Paddy's Day. Serious comfort food.

Just peel and mash potatoes, cook cabbage or kale separately, mix together to get flavors blended (add leeks here), heat on stove for bit, add butter, salt and pepper, then serve. You can top with bacon bits if you like.

Mmmmm.

Katz

I want comfort food. I will do that on monday!!

Partner just announced he will quit smoking CT from now on, because then the chance he will survive will be bigger.

Well the chance I will murder him is much more likely, but okey, I am TOTALLY FINE having an choleric man in this isolation. I am the luckiest woman in the world. Potatoes, carrots, mushrooms (all rotten by the way) and a choleric non smoking male human with constant fear of corona.

I am wondering what he will carry home from the supermarket next week in acute withdrawal. I assume: Beer, chips. And carrots. Just to annoy me.

Really? Quitting smoking after decades right now? (did I ask that question? of course I did. And I got the answer I assumed I would get in exactly the mood I thought he would be in).

I will keep you updated - at least you will giggle about my current situation here.

.. can I use a carrot as a murder weapon. that is the question. (No, officer I have no clue how this carrot came into his throat, he just FELL on the carrot.)

O. K guys.

Years ago I read a short story ( Roald  Dahl ???? ) where the wife lost it and murdered her husband with a frozen leg of lamb . On looking at her sorry situation after due consideration she popped the murder weapon into the oven , left the house and on her return later finally called the cops with shock and horror at finding hubby dead on the floor , A hunt for the murder weapon proved fruitless ( Of course it did . It was cooking away at med in the kitchen  ). Later on in the day at dinner time she was able to offer a perfectly cooked leg of lamb roast to the hungry cops . She herself as the grieving widow was not able to eat a thing .

And that my friends is true multi -tasking

Mmmmm.

Katz

I want comfort food. I will do that on monday!!

Partner just announced he will quit smoking CT from now on, because then the chance he will survive will be bigger.

Well the chance I will murder him is much more likely, but okey, I am TOTALLY FINE having an choleric man in this isolation. I am the luckiest woman in the world. Potatoes, carrots, mushrooms (all rotten by the way) and a choleric non smoking male human with constant fear of corona.

I am wondering what he will carry home from the supermarket next week in acute withdrawal. I assume: Beer, chips. And carrots. Just to annoy me.

Really? Quitting smoking after decades right now? (did I ask that question? of course I did. And I got the answer I assumed I would get in exactly the mood I thought he would be in).

I will keep you updated - at least you will giggle about my current situation here.

.. can I use a carrot as a murder weapon. that is the question. (No, officer I have no clue how this carrot came into his throat, he just FELL on the carrot.)

Please keep us posted.  I chewed toothpicks, the plastic kind.  Gives you something to do with mouth and hands  :D.

O. K guys.

Years ago I read a short story ( Roald  Dahl ???? ) where the wife lost it and murdered her husband with a frozen leg of lamb . On looking at her sorry situation after due consideration she popped the murder weapon into the oven , left the house and on her return later finally called the cops with shock and horror at finding hubby dead on the floor , A hunt for the murder weapon proved fruitless ( Of course it did . It was cooking away at med in the kitchen  ). Later on in the day at dinner time she was able to offer a perfectly cooked leg of lamb roast to the hungry cops . She herself as the grieving widow was not able to eat a thing .

And that my friends is true multi -tasking

So true.

:muscle: