Another failed transition from pill to liquid

[Pe...]

[df...]

There have been many I have seen that can NOT or has NOT been able to tolerate a liquid titration in any form, especially from Klonopin.  And these are people who did not seem to have a sensitive CNS.  Who knows why some do great and others not so much.  If it works for you, I say you should count it as an absolute blessing!!

NoMore.....I thought you were doing fine with the alcohol/water combo?  I guess that went downhill and you moved to Oraplus?

micedana - can you direct me to flavorless Humco?  I have issues with acidic things.  Micedana, it may actually also be the particular generic you had been using before versus now as well.  We are all so different but Accord was almost like Kool-Aid for me and this was before I was dependent, taking daily.  It was during intermittent usage.  Just a thought for you.....

-As I said, I did my past 10 month taper before reinstatement using accord (pills) and actavis (liquid) without knowing it was different drug manufacturers. Probably if I knew it would have been worse.

Before the 10 month taper during my acute state I had used Teva and I think it was better than accord but as you probably know Teva stop their clonazepan production and I end up with Actavis and accord. Teva is bringing back it's old formula clonazepan 0.5 but it's not in my city pharmacies yet.  I don't want to change horses in the middle of the river now although sometimes due to some symptoms I thought about go back to C/H. I still think that most of it is psicosomatic. We are monitoring ourselves too much and that makes anxiety to take over.

I never did the alcohol tritation.  My doctor didn't like it but she accepted the BB taper plan and the suspension from a local compound pharmacy.

There is a thread here about Teva and other manufacturers and what I noticed is that most of those guys still have problems with the suppose original teva formula now. So that's why I'm a little 

skeptical. I'll continue for now and see if I can get use to the accord compound. What are you taking if i may ask?

Check below the links about Humco. Again the reason I don't use them because of the time issue and the fact that I already used Oraplus. But what I heard is that is a good and reliable product.

Cheers ! :thumbsup:

Miguel

https://www.humco.com/store/pharmaceuticals/compounding-bases/oral-vehicles/versa-freetm/

https://www.humco.com/store/pharmaceuticals/compounding-bases/oral-vehicles/?p=3

The comment didn’t come from you, builder, no need to document. If you reread the thread you’ll see where it originated, although I took it as speculation as to why liquid was not well tolerated,, not as accusation or judgment.

Discussion of methods is good, let’s keep it civil. We’re all on the same rocking boat here.

Correct interpretation of my post.

But since you promote Jana Hill, 'her protocols' and the forum she once managed, and we know people were banned from her forum for simply reporting back that her method/protocols did not work for them, your words take on a very clear meaning. How would 'past taper history' explain a sudden uptick in symptoms when switching to titration if the pills and liquid are analogous? Your plea of innocence - utilising an illogical explanation - that you were merely speculating as to a possible (non-titration) cause for the failure rings hollow for anyone at all familiar with what happened at that forum you support/ed. You even stated:

I would wager [Peter40's] CNS is overly sensitized to any changes. I would also wager, that "why so many others cannot tolerate a transition to liquid" has more to do with their individual past history, then it does with the transferring from one delivery method to another.

The above statement was even highlighted in a reply by a fellow ardent supporter (builder) of Hill's protocols and given a 'double-thumbs-up'.

There have been many I have seen that can NOT or has NOT been able to tolerate a liquid titration in any form, especially from Klonopin.  And these are people who did not seem to have a sensitive CNS.  Who knows why some do great and others not so much.  If it works for you, I say you should count it as an absolute blessing!!

yeah, same here, i didn't think it would be an issue at all, but boy was i wrong! i felt like i had a bad drinking hangover 12 hours after the first "liquid with alcohol as solvent" dose of clonazepam, and i kept going but it lasted several days like that!

NoMore.....I thought you were doing fine with the alcohol/water combo?  I guess that went downhill and you moved to Oraplus?

see above comment, no i didn't do well on the alcohol solvent liquid for clonazepam, i felt better after a week or so but i switched to PG propylene glycol. and after further education about how adding/dilution of a solvent (everclear) with another solvent (h2o) can affect the way the API in the pills along with the other chemical substances in the pills (not to mention the other chemicals in the store bought everclear) can react and affect the "solution" as opposed to how it is when the scientists and chemists do it using pure benzo and pure alcohol with no other excipient ingredients, i am considering switching to a suspension, as i already use one with my other taper successfully.  As for Oraplus i don't use that on my suspension of seroquel due to its cost per bottle, and use HUMCO instead. (about 1/2 the price and is used by a lotof compounding pharmacists).

micedana - can you direct me to flavorless Humco?  I have issues with acidic things.  Micedana, it may actually also be the particular generic you had been using before versus now as well.  We are all so different but Accord was almost like Kool-Aid for me and this was before I was dependent, taking daily.  It was during intermittent usage.  Just a thought for you.....

i realize this was addressed to Micedana, but since i am already answering the question about HUMCO above i will add here if that's ok...

HUMCO Flavor Blend is the one with the cough syrupy taste, but it has the ingredient which makes a stable suspension...that's the ingredient that tastes like cough syrup unfortunately.

people have used other things to make suspensions, however the issue there is stability, and sometimes the other things can go "off" or moldy.

the bad tasting chemical cough syrupy stuff is what keeps things from spoiling or going rancid or destabilizing for the time it is in the bottle, reccomended for a month or less. even if there was no "cherry" taste added to the HUMCO suspension agent, it would taste like cough syrup due to that chemical.

But since you promote Jana Hill, 'her protocols' and the forum she once managed, and we know people were banned from her forum for simply reporting back that her method/protocols did not work for them, your words take on a very clear meaning. How would 'past taper history' explain a sudden uptick in symptoms when switching to titration if the pills and liquid are analogous? Your plea of innocence - utilising an illogical explanation - that you were merely speculating as to a possible (non-titration) cause for the failure rings hollow for anyone at all familiar with what happened at that forum you support/ed. You even stated:

I would wager [Peter40's] CNS is overly sensitized to any changes. I would also wager, that "why so many others cannot tolerate a transition to liquid" has more to do with their individual past history, then it does with the transferring from one delivery method to another.

The above statement was even highlighted in a reply by a fellow ardent supporter (builder) of Hill's protocols and given a 'double-thumbs-up'.

This has gotten really old. I already answered your questions when you PM'ed me in July about her & BDR under the guise to clarify that you never gave out water titration schedules, which is patently false. I'm one of the many you provided those to. You also did milk titration schedules, let me correct that, you tried to for awhile but you stopped as you were in way over your head and were providing bad titration information as you did not comprehend the protocol.

Those archives are a great wealth of information.

Just because you keep saying the same thing over and over, doesn't make it true(see bold above).

I will support a protocol that I've seen good outcomes. I will not support other methods that I've seen have poor outcomes. I don't and never will promote a method that includes suffering.

Your fascination/contempt/jealousy, whatever it is you have with her is beyond the norm. I'd suggest counseling.

Thanks Micedana and Nomore, for the info!!  I did not find that version on Amazon, Micedana so it's good info to have.  I think some people do just great with the alcohol/water - one of my friends, a buddy who doesn't come on much, is tapering Valium using it but it's a combo of pills and the homemade vodka/water and it's working splendidly for her now, though it could have been a bit rough in the beginning..... but keep in mind her full dose was not in liquid and I think that can make a big difference for some.  She got sick from PG but no problem from vodka/water, though it may have really taken her a while to adjust.  I know of another buddy who is using alcohol/water completely for tapering klonopin and it's working really well for her.  Others use milk and that works well.  Others, just plain water.  I talked to one guy on FB that tried every form/combo of liquid titration and could NOT do it at all - he said it metabolized way too quickly.  He dry microtapers .01 mg per day of Valium and is doing really well with it.  Others have had the same experience.  We are such a mixed bag, that's for sure!! 

Nomore, do you think you are reacting better with PG/water compared to the alcohol/water?  I know you are thinking of switching methods but is the PG/Water solution agreeing with you?  I think PG is one of the main ingredients in a lot of the suspending vehicles and in the liquid diazepam, but I don't know that for sure.  I've considered it as an option once I am fully switched to Valium. 

OK. Both of you. Let's get one thing straight off the bat: what you are doing here is, in essence, victim blaming. 'It is not my method at fault, it your history of usage'. How thoughtless. How wrong. How thoroughly despicable.

When one is trying to withdraw from a potent psych med, there are numerous physical, psycgologital, and probably environmental processes also going on.

Suggesting that one might want to consider the possibility that some other variable may have played a role in their sxs is NOT "victim blaming".

Just because event A preceeded event B does NOT means event A caused event B.

OK. Both of you. Let's get one thing straight off the bat: what you are doing here is, in essence, victim blaming. 'It is not my method at fault, it your history of usage'. How thoughtless. How wrong. How thoroughly despicable.

When one is trying to withdraw from a potent psych med, there are numerous physical, psycgologital, and probably environmental processes also going on.

Suggesting that one might want to consider the possibility that some other variable may have played a role in their sxs is NOT "victim blaming".

Just because event A preceeded event B does NOT means event A caused event B.

I totally disagree with your assessment. There is a very obvious assumption that the person did something wrong that facilitated the failed taper. Although the written word lacks the visuals one gets when speaking face to face, the underlying inferences can be determined if one actually spends the time and effort to do this. However , if the person posts habitually as if they are the expert in an authoritarian manner, it's likely they won't be able to see these inferences.

I totally disagree with your assessment. There is a very obvious assumption that the person did something wrong that facilitated the failed taper. Although the written word lacks the visuals one gets when speaking face to face, the underlying inferences can be determined if one actually spends the time and effort to do this. However , if the person posts habitually as if they are the expert in an authoritarian manner, it's likely they won't be able to see these inferences.

Who made that assumption PG?  Certainly not me.  Is that your assumption? ::)

Thanks Micedana and Nomore, for the info!!  I did not find that version on Amazon, Micedana so it's good info to have.  I think some people do just great with the alcohol/water - one of my friends, a buddy who doesn't come on much, is tapering Valium using it but it's a combo of pills and the homemade vodka/water and it's working splendidly for her now, though it could have been a bit rough in the beginning..... but keep in mind her full dose was not in liquid and I think that can make a big difference for some.  She got sick from PG but no problem from vodka/water, though it may have really taken her a while to adjust.  I know of another buddy who is using alcohol/water completely for tapering klonopin and it's working really well for her.  Others use milk and that works well.  Others, just plain water.  I talked to one guy on FB that tried every form/combo of liquid titration and could NOT do it at all - he said it metabolized way too quickly.  He dry microtapers .01 mg per day of Valium and is doing really well with it.  Others have had the same experience.  We are such a mixed bag, that's for sure!! 

Nomore, do you think you are reacting better with PG/water compared to the alcohol/water?  I know you are thinking of switching methods but is the PG/Water solution agreeing with you? I think PG is one of the main ingredients in a lot of the suspending vehicles and in the liquid diazepam, but I don't know that for sure.  I've considered it as an option once I am fully switched to Valium.

my bottle of HUMCO Flavor Blend suspension agent ingredients list contains no PG propylene glycol. it does state that "virtually all medicated powders or crushed tablets can be incorporated into Humco FlaverBlend to form elegant, uniform and physically stable suspensions. A saisfactory suspension can be obtained provided care is taken in the initial stages."

I have a couple of friends who are chemists who work or have worked many years in laboratories on pharmaceutical projects that i correspond with in different countries who have been very helpful in tailoring my tapers and my compounding technique, so that is helpful... but if i can do it then anyone with 2 steady hands and a good pair of glasses can do it. i wear glasses and it helps me see the little lines on the syringes better. but mixing a compund is easy peasy once you collect a few specific tools. and maintain strict adherence to the instructions. however i have only used a suspension with my seroquel/antipsychotic pills and not with clonazepam.

IF the API in clonazepam pills is evenly distributed in the tablets, then i would assume there would be no issue using a suspension instead of dissolving them into a solution, but that is my guess.  if the API is NOT evenly distributed in the clonazepam pills, then a suspension wouldn't be the perfect ideal answer.  i wonder what the pharmacists use to make the liquid valium..a suspension vehicle or if they make a solution of it?

here's mor einfo one the HUMCO products that have been mentioned..note the differences.

https://www.humco.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/DTP-Catalog-2019.pdf

note that the first and third are suspension vehicles/agents and the middle one is not.

FLAVOR BLEND™

ALL-IN-ONE SYRUP/SUSPENDING VEHICLE

Flavor Blend™ is a uniquely formulated flavored oral suspending vehicle designed to simplify the extemporaneous compounding process of oral suspensions. It combines the flavoring agents of Flavor Sweet™ and the suspending agents of Flavor Plus™, along with preservatives and an anti-foam agent to provide an easy preparation of smooth, elegant oral suspensions.

• Easy to use

• Light pink liquid blend with a cherry flavor

• pH 4.5 – pH 5.0

• Recommended use – hydrophilic, acid-stable & hydrophobic actives

• Incorporate virtually all medicated powders or crushed tablets

• Ideal for pediatric & geriatric preparations

VERSA FREE™

Versa Free™ is a dye-free, flavor-free, paraben-free, sugar-free, gluten-free and saccharin-free syrup vehicle resulting in fewer patient allergic reactions. Virtually no aftertaste.

• Flavor-free clear liquid syrup

• pH 4.5 – pH 5.0

• Natural ingredients & natural preservatives

• Ideal for diabetic, autistic, & allergy-sensitive patients

• Soy & gluten-free

DYE-FREE, CHEMICAL-FREE, AND SUGAR-FREE

SYRUP VEHICLE

VERSA PLUS™

DYE-FREE, CHEMICAL-FREE, AND SUGAR-FREE SUSPENDING VEHICLE

Versa Plus™ is a dye-free, flavor-free, paraben-free, sugar-free, gluten-free and saccharin-free suspension vehicle resulting in fewer patient allergic reactions. Virtually no aftertaste.

• Flavor-free white liquid suspension

• pH 3.5 – pH 4.0

• Natural ingredients & natural preservatives

• Ideal for diabetic, autistic, & allergy-sensitive patients

• Soy & gluten-free

I think PG is one of the main ingredients in a lot of the suspending vehicles and in the liquid diazepam, but I don't know that for sure.  I've considered it as an option once I am fully switched to Valium.

PG is a solvent...probably the most commonly used pharma solvent in the world.  It is NOT a "suspension agent"

Who made that assumption PG?  Certainly not me.  Is that your assumption? ::)

I wonder why so many people cant tolerate a transition to liquid if the drug is fully available?

Possibly you cannot tolerate it due to your own history of rapid and large reductions in your dosage and other things. I would wager your CNS is overly sensitized to any changes. I would also wager, that "why so many others cannot tolerate a transition to liquid" has more to do with their individual past history, then it does with the transferring from one delivery method to another. Some of your previous posts before, to try and piece the puzzle together. Just my observation. Good luck to you.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Emphasis in original.

Builder,

Your prolific use of the thumbsup emoticon as well as the fact that you bolded parts of the above reply is clearly an indication that you agree with Gerbera's assessment somehow the OP is at fault for the failure of the crossover.  It can't be more obvious.

There is no method of tapering that can guarantee a symptom free withdrawal.  There are those who taper quickly with mild symptoms and those that have serious symptoms.  This is also true for those who use the minute dose reduction titration method.  Sadly, many of those in the second category that are suffering difficult and long lasting symptoms are afraid to speak up because of the large voices that dispel their reality.  How do I know this, because they contact me via PM, not for withdrawal or taper support, just to let me know they are afraid to address their situation publicly.

If there is an instance where a member is being 'shamed' because of a failure anywhere in their taper it is our obligation and responsibility to address it. Everyone deserves to be treated fairly and kindly. We on the team will continue to be a champion for those who are unable, for whatever reason, to speak about their circumstances on the forum, for fear of retribution or shame.

edit: quote color corrected

As previously stated, most folks tapering are undergoing many different changes physically, emotionally, environmentally, etc.  That does NOT in  any way imply that they "did something wrong", just a recognition of their current reality.

As previously stated, most folks tapering are undergoing many different changes physically, emotionally, environmentally, etc.  That does NOT in  any way imply that they "did something wrong", just a recognition of their current reality.

I'm not debating this further with you, I stand by my assertion in terms of your replies.

Nomore - Thanks for all your info.  I believe that they generally use the Oraplus Suspension for compounding clonazepam, though I found one place that uses an almond oil base but there must be other things in there to keep it good. 

Question for you - is the PG solution working well for you now and are the symptoms that you were having on the alcohol/water much better on the PG?  Can you tell me how you make your PG solution? 

Nomore - Thanks for all your info.  I believe that they generally use the Oraplus Suspension for compounding clonazepam, though I found one place that uses an almond oil base but there must be other things in there to keep it good. 

Question for you - is the PG solution working well for you now and are the symptoms that you were having on the alcohol/water much better on the PG?  Can you tell me how you make your PG solution?

http://www.mipedscompounds.org/sites/default/files/standard-formulations/Clonazepam.pdf

you can use the same recipe to make a suspension using the HUMCO suspension agent/vehicle if you just wanna save some money over the OraPlus one.

it's hard to say whether my bad experience with the alcohol/h20 solution of clonazepam was due to the alcohol/benzo interaction, the excipient ingredients in the pills, the excipient chemicals in the everclear, or the loss of API thru the heat or other factors, or what- but after about a week, i was able to stabilize. ~however~ i am very resilient, & have had already over 50 psych meds rx'd in just 25 years. some of the wd's and adverse effects and sxs i've experienced have been easier to overcome than others which left me with (?)permanent(?) damage. others will have different experiences based on their individual metabolism and abilty to heal/resiliency, so i don't pretend to know that my experience will reflect another's. this is highly individual.

having said that, i switched from the alcohol/h2o solution of clonazepam to the PG propylene glycol solution AFTER i'd recovered from switching to the everclear one. so my system may have been shocked by the transition to liquid and alcohol from just tablets, or it may have been shocked from the change in delivery from liquid immediately absorbed instead of slowly absorbed tablets. whichever it was, there's no way to tell if my "better reaction" to PG solution instead of everclear solution was due to the switch or due to my body acclimating to the change in delivery ie liquid instead of pills.

the fact is that now,  i am stable. but that is also a question since i haven't resumed reductions... when i first started the DLMT of clonazepam, i was on the PG solution. however i was still having interdose wd's and had to switch to 8 hours dosing instead of the previous schedule. this levelled out my IW but since it was yet another change that my CNS noticed, i have been HOLDING to make sure that when i do resume my DLMT, i am as stable as possible. i will begin to reduce again on nov 1st.

the PG solution is the same ratio as the alcohol solution was. i use 10mg clonazepam powered very fine in a heavy mortar n pestle.  i add 20ml of PG and let disslolve, mixing well.  i add about 20ml of distilled h2o to the solution until it is freeflowing and funnel it into a 100ml amber pharmacy bottle. i rinse my mortar n pestle with the remaining distilled h20 until all particles of clonazepam are rinsed from the surfaces into my pharmacy bottle, using 10ml in the syringe at a time. i fill the bottle of solution with the remainder of distilled water for a total volume of 100ml. then i add a new adaptor cap to the bottle neck opening and cover the hole with my forefinger and shake the bottle vigorously to get a good distribution. cap with child resistent cap and refrigerate (since i had a batch accidentally spoil when i forgot to rinse my syringes once and inadvertently introduced some apple juice into my bottle of solution. apple juice grows mold very quickly unrefrigerated, especially in a solution that has 20%PG, a sweetener in it) aslo since heat in our home is above normal room temperature gudelines.

but since pharmacists seem to prefer making suspensions (like the Oraplus one i liked above) for clonazepam instead of "solutions", i'm starting to think perhaps this is more stable. please don't use my personal choice on my own suspension (or solution) as the guiding decider for your own preparations! do the research for your own situation, and make a decision based on that, and tailor your taper for YOUR personal needs. what works for one, may not work for another. we ought to be honest about this fact, and not be arrogant to say "my way is the best way" or "my way is the most efficient way" etc.

good luck on your tapering!

I wonder why so many people cant tolerate a transition to liquid if the drug is fully available?

Possibly you cannot tolerate it due to your own history of rapid and large reductions in your dosage and other things. I would wager your CNS is overly sensitized to any changes. I would also wager, that "why so many others cannot tolerate a transition to liquid" has more to do with their individual past history, then it does with the transferring from one delivery method to another. Some of your previous posts before, to try and piece the puzzle together. Just my observation. Good luck to you.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

If, as you both argue, making up a liquid using vodka or milk leads to a solution identical in properties to the pills from which it is made, how would Peter40's history make any difference when switching to a liquid? The change in circumstances here is switching to your methods.

This is why we require a discussional tone from members when engaging in these kinds of topics. If what you propose has not been verified via truly analogous laboratory testing and/or through double-blind trials, it is opinion. You are dressing up supposition as fact. And when the feedback does not fit your speculation, you attempt to blame the people making the report. I am appalled.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Peter, I worried about that with my "home made" valium/vodka/water brew also. The whitish residue I saw was what held the pill together -- the valium dissolved in the vodka.  I know it's unsettling, and a little hard to wrap your mind around, but your benzo really is dissolved.

My home brew carried me successfully to zero.

Hope this helps,

:smitten:

Katz

I was going to post on this EXACT same thing, although I am using Builder's PG recipe.  I was shaking it up each time and *thought* I had read that the crud (sediment) at the bottom was just crud and not benzo.  But, I was shaking it up before each measure.....and .....

OMGrief, that stuff tastes GROSS *hurl*.  Glad to know I can just leave that nasty crud.

So after I measure out my dose, I add flavored water to help with that nasty taste. 

Thanks so much, NoMore.  I appreciate all your info.  I know it's definitely hard to say regarding the liquid thing.  I also a couple of times just dissolved my regular dose in plain water, rinsed cup a couple of times, drank and there was no doubt a difference for me that I felt the next morning with strange brain buzzing, etc.  I was told that this could not be but it absolutely was for me - I have not had those strange brain buzzing sensations since.  I may not be able to do a liquid - who knows - maybe I will make my own suspension and try.  It's good to have options as we are all different and it's definitely not in the person's head.  Too many folks, those with no anxiety, etc, notice a difference for that to be the case.  My CNS is ultra sensitive and always has been.  But for those that can do liquid or a suspension, it is absolutely the easiest/most accurate way, in my opinion.

I wish you the best!

Thanks so much, NoMore.  I appreciate all your info.  I know it's definitely hard to say regarding the liquid thing.  I also a couple of times just dissolved my regular dose in plain water, rinsed cup a couple of times, drank and there was no doubt a difference for me that I felt the next morning with strange brain buzzing, etc.  I was told that this could not be but it absolutely was for me - I have not had those strange brain buzzing sensations since.  I may not be able to do a liquid - who knows - maybe I will make my own suspension and try.  It's good to have options as we are all different and it's definitely not in the person's head.  Too many folks, those with no anxiety, etc, notice a difference for that to be the case.  My CNS is ultra sensitive and always has been.  But for those that can do liquid or a suspension, it is absolutely the easiest/most accurate way, in my opinion.

I wish you the best!

you're quite welcom Mom  :)

my CNS has become very sensitized also. i hope to be able to continue the DLMT w/out issues, (which would be much easier if i don't have to make any more changes, like dosing times or chnages in dose preparations, etc) but if i do find that the pharmacists' preferred liquid is indeed the OraPlus or HUMCO suspensions that they make for the public, then i will make that one change. still researching a bit before i do that though.

best wishes to you too!

Peter, I worried about that with my "home made" valium/vodka/water brew also. The whitish residue I saw was what held the pill together -- the valium dissolved in the vodka.  I know it's unsettling, and a little hard to wrap your mind around, but your benzo really is dissolved.

My home brew carried me successfully to zero.

Hope this helps,

:smitten:

Katz

I was going to post on this EXACT same thing, although I am using Builder's PG recipe.  I was shaking it up each time and *thought* I had read that the crud (sediment) at the bottom was just crud and not benzo.  But, I was shaking it up before each measure.....and .....

OMGrief, that stuff tastes GROSS *hurl*.  Glad to know I can just leave that nasty crud.

So after I measure out my dose, I add flavored water to help with that nasty taste.

my sediment is orange and yes yukky, i do the same covering it with applejuice. it's easier to take if cold from fridge.

just had to post after reading your name  ;D great name/song/video