Hildagard needs a taper plan, Please!

[Hi...]

[d1...]

Hello Hildagard,

We'll try to help you get ready to start your taper on 11/5.

Are you able to obtain a compounded liquid suspension of clonazepam from a reputable compounding pharmacy? 

It might be a good idea at the start, due to the fairly high dose you are taking, to consider using regular tablets and compounded suspension at the start. We have a member who was on a similar dose of clonazepam who used this method successfully.

In the US, 0.5mg regular tablets which are scored are available as well as and 0.125mg and 0.25mg orally disintegrating tablets.

Once I hear back from you, we'll start to formulate a plan.

pianogirl

Hi Pianogirl, Sounds like you know what you are doing.  Would you please help with a taper plan for .75 Klonopin taken 3 times a day (.25 each dose).  Thank you.

Hello Lookinup,

Let me ask you a few questions:

1.  What kind of taper are you looking for, a direct simple dry cut taper, a dry titration, or a liquid titration?

2. How much do you want to reduce, percentage wise, per day or per week?

3. Are your tablets scored?

Thank you for getting back to me. My tablets are .5 and scored.  What do you recommend for the taper method and reduction? 

Hello Hildagard,

Are you able to obtain a compounded liquid suspension of clonazepam from a reputable compounding pharmacy? 

It might be a good idea at the start, due to the fairly high dose you are taking, to consider using regular tablets and compounded suspension at the start. We have a member who was on a similar dose of clonazepam who used this method successfully.

In the US, 0.5mg regular tablets which are scored are available as well as and 0.125mg and 0.25mg orally disintegrating tablets.

pianogirl

Hi Pianogirl, Sounds like you know what you are doing.  Would you please help with a taper plan for .75 Klonopin taken 3 times a day (.25 each dose).  Thank you.

Hello Lookinup,

1.  What kind of taper are you looking for, a direct simple dry cut taper, a dry titration, or a liquid titration?

Thank you for getting back to me. My tablets are .5 and scored.  What do you recommend for the taper method and reduction?

. Hi again,

I need to correct signature.  Dose is .75 per day in three doses of .25.  Thank you.

Hello Hildagard,

pianogirl

Hello Lookinup,

Hello,

I have one more question based on your signature. Are you still taking Ambien? If you are, are you planning to taper off it as well?

Each person should pick the taper plan that works best for them. There is no one size fits all in terms of withdrawal.

Many people, including myself, followed a direct simple taper as presented in the Ashton Manual. Other's prefer a slower taper plan. Remember, nothing in set in stone and you can change at any time to make withdrawal as easy as possible on the central nervous system.

Take a look at Titration FAQ'S.  This gives good information about titration with either tablets or liquids.

Titration FAQ'S

Let us know which direction you'd like to start in and we'll proceed from there.

PG  :smitten:

Thanks for your reply. Yes,I would like to get rid of the Ambien. I think it is giving me interdose withdrawal symptoms because of its short half life.  I would like to start with a direct simple taper and see how it goes.  Do you recommend doing the Ambien first?  Thanks again for your help.

It is usually suggested to taper the shorter acting drug first. While Ambien is a Z Drug, it's mechanics are similar to a benzo so tapering in the same manner would be suggested. 

Is your dose of Ambien 7.5 mg? 

When do you take the Ambien?

[d1...]

Hello Hildagard,

pianogirl

Hello Lookinup,

Hello Hildagard,

pianogirl

Hello Lookinup,

. Hi again,

I need to correct signature.  Dose is .75 per day in three doses of .25.  Thank you.

Hello Hildagard,

pianogirl

Hello Lookinup,

Hello,

I have one more question based on your signature. Are you still taking Ambien? If you are, are you planning to taper off it as well?

Each person should pick the taper plan that works best for them. There is no one size fits all in terms of withdrawal.

Many people, including myself, followed a direct simple taper as presented in the Ashton Manual. Other's prefer a slower taper plan. Remember, nothing in set in stone and you can change at any time to make withdrawal as easy as possible on the central nervous system.

Take a look at Titration FAQ'S.  This gives good information about titration with either tablets or liquids.

Titration FAQ'S

Let us know which direction you'd like to start in and we'll proceed from there.

Thanks for your reply. Yes,I would like to get rid of the Ambien. I think it is giving me interdose withdrawal symptoms because of its short half life.  I would like to start with a direct simple taper and see how it goes.  Do you recommend doing the Ambien first?  Thanks again for your help.

It is usually suggested to taper the shorter acting drug first. While Ambien is a Z Drug, it's mechanics are similar to a benzo so tapering in the same manner would be suggested. 

I take the Ambien at night for sleep.  I break off about 1/4 of a 10 mg. Tablet, so I estimate it to be 7.5. I did purchase a scale.  How can I do this for greater accuracy?

Hello Hildagard,

pianogirl

Hello Lookinup,

Hello Hildagard,

pianogirl

Hello Lookinup,

. Hi again,

Hello Hildagard,

pianogirl

Hello Lookinup,

Hello,

Titration FAQ'S

I take the Ambien at night for sleep.  I break off about 1/4 of a 10 mg. Tablet, so I estimate it to be 7.5. I did purchase a scale.  How can I do this for greater accuracy?

Hi,

I started you a thread of your own so we don't hijack Hildagard's thread.

You'll find it here:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=232530.0

PG

PG, Thanks for separating the feed, I was getting confused. LOL

To Lookup, I'm glad you found Pianogirl from my feed and I wish you all the best!

PG. I think I've settled out, whatever that means, for now. I believe I am ready for my first reduction.

Thanks again for your words of support and caution.

Hildagard

PG, Thanks for separating the feed, I was getting confused. LOL

To Lookup, I'm glad you found Pianogirl from my feed and I wish you all the best!

PG. I think I've settled out, whatever that means, for now. I believe I am ready for my first reduction.

Thanks again for your words of support and caution.

Hildagard

That's really good news Hildagard!

It's late here so I'll post something in the morning about how to start your taper.  I have to go over the notes I made earlier on to make sure they give you the correct information.

Hiilagard,

I have a couple of questions to ask before I post some tapering information.

1. Are all your doses now liquid?

2. Are you preparing 3 different solutions of 100mL each or are you preparing one solution of 300mL using 3 tablets?

3. Do you have a 1mL syringe?

Thanks,

PG

I Pianogirl,

I have been on all liquid for 8 days. I am doing 3, 100ml doses. Yes, I have a 1 ml syringe.  I have noticed changes and spells lasting a few minutes, but only went real low the second day. Just noticed more jittery ness and sweating. It's like menopause, but not. I'd like to reduce the amount of milk. Quite frankly, I think I'm lactose intolerant. I saw "Whole Milk" Lactose Milk advertised. Is using it possible?

Looking forward to hearing back from you. Hope you are well!

Hildagard

I Pianogirl,

I have been on all liquid for 8 days. I am doing 3, 100ml doses. Yes, I have a 1 ml syringe.  I have noticed changes and spells lasting a few minutes, but only went real low the second day. Just noticed more jittery ness and sweating. It's like menopause, but not. I'd like to reduce the amount of milk. Quite frankly, I think I'm lactose intolerant. I saw "Whole Milk" Lactose Milk advertised. Is using it possible?

Looking forward to hearing back from you. Hope you are well!

Hildagard

Hello Hildagard,

I believe you are feeling the effects from switching all your doses to liquid, rather than just one at a time. It may take a while for your system to adjust.

I used to be lactose intolerant. Are you having gastrointestinal issues like diarrhea, bloating, constipation and cramping?  You can get lactose free whole make if necessary.

Great! I am still feeling well. My mood is good and today I didn't have a "little spell" at the usual time. After being humbled on the second day, I have seen a steady improvement. I'm accustomed to daily symptoms. As long as I'm able to decern that it is just B's and not my life, I can get through it. It's when I drop low, it gets scary. My daughter is watching me closed and made me promise to keep her informed of all changes so she can watch me. I promised.

I'm ready for my first reduction. I look forward to reading my next step.

I hope this note finds you well!

Hildagard

To update. I studied other posts and started my taper. Here is where I am.

11 -6 started conversion time to liquid

11-11 -  Reduced 1 ml from 6 am dose

11-16 to present -  Reduced 2 ml from 6 am dose

I am currently dealing with being jittery 3-4 hours before next dose and mild muscle cramping. These are not new symptoms. As long as my mood stays good the physical symptoms are tolerable. I hope to reduce every 5 days and hold as needed. I thought I might give this reduction a couple of extra days. My granddaughters birthday is this weekend and I want to be in good shape.

I'd like to start as of tomorrow Reducing 1 ml from the 6 AM dose and 1 ml from the 2 PM dose. If feels like maybe I should spread out the reduction more. I'm not sure if I'm doing it right or if there are other ways. I'm sure there are many paths. I'm open to suggestions on the next steps.

Thank you for getting back to me. I'm grateful for your help. Hugs, Hildagard  p.s. I'm finally moving towards health instead of unwittingly running deeper into Hell!

To update. I studied other posts and started my taper. Here is where I am.

11 -6 started conversion time to liquid

11-11 -  Reduced 1 ml from 6 am dose

11-16 to present -  Reduced 2 ml from 6 am dose

I am currently dealing with being jittery 3-4 hours before next dose and mild muscle cramping. These are not new symptoms. As long as my mood stays good the physical symptoms are tolerable. I hope to reduce every 5 days and hold as needed. I thought I might give this reduction a couple of extra days. My granddaughters birthday is this weekend and I want to be in good shape.

I'd like to start as of tomorrow Reducing 1 ml from the 6 AM dose and 1 ml from the 2 PM dose. If feels like maybe I should spread out the reduction more. I'm not sure if I'm doing it right or if there are other ways. I'm sure there are many paths. I'm open to suggestions on the next steps.

Thank you for getting back to me. I'm grateful for your help. Hugs, Hildagard  p.s. I'm finally moving towards health instead of unwittingly running deeper into Hell!

Hello Hildagard,

Personally, I would wait until after the birthday celebration to make any more changes.  You want to be able to enjoy the day with no repercussions in terms of adding a second reduction.

You can most definitely spread out the reductions. I think your plan to next reduce to the 2pm dose is a good idea.

If you listen to your body, you'll know when extra time is needed between reductions, it sounds like you are already doing this.

You are moving towards health, it's a step in the right direction.