Amoxicillin and cephalexin (keflex) now cause severe withdrawal symptoms

[Ma...]

If stating a positive experience taking Amoxicillin is defined as bullying, then I am guilty as charged.

If, however, stating you have detected a bullying tone in my previous posts on other threads, you are personally attacking me and that is not allowed.

I think many people would disagree with you about “tone.” 

Sofa

I am on Cephalexen right now and have no problems. I don't know how that would have played out if I was still on the benzos as I am 7.5 months out today.

I think this article is good because it focuses on the disruption, by antibiotics, of the stomach, known as "the second brain." Since the gut is so prevalent in the benzo person's experience (benzo belly, etc.), it does make sense that the antibiotics can make everything worse for awhile IN SOME PEOPLE.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5725362/

For those whose brains have been damaged, i.e., benzo people, taking antibiotics can be perilous. Nevertheless, there was no other choice for me. I tried the supplements, and they didn't work. It's too bad that I didn't realize I had a sulfa allergy, though. I could have saved myself a lot of pain.

Thank you, Warrior, for another positive AB story.

I am not an advocate of taking ABs for every minor thing.  We all know that overprescribing ABs have led to virulent strains and mutations of bacteria that are resistant to ABs, as well as a reliance on ABs to cure infections, rather than allowing our bodies to become stronger and increase their ability to fight infections themselves.

I’m saying that sometimes we need help.  Infections can take a turn for the worse.  They can turn into sepsis and staph that are serious conditions.  I would hate to think that someone who needed an AB, and hesitated to go to the doctor and get it checked out, didn’t get the help they needed because of the fear that threads such as these put in their minds.

I think it’s important that as many people who report bad experiences with ABs are balanced out with people who’ve had good experiences.

Sofa

If stating a positive experience taking Amoxicillin is defined as bullying, then I am guilty as charged.

If, however, stating you have detected a bullying tone in my previous posts on other threads, you are personally attacking me and that is not allowed.

I think many people would disagree with you about “tone.” 

Sofa

She is probably talking about the "totally baseless hogwash" comment about "fear mongering", when actually the relevant studies showing neurotoxicity had already been posted in this thread.

DG you never disappoint.

i found myself reading about these antibiotics (many of which i've taken regularly, and some only once or twice over my 4ish decades)...just the other day, and this one really laid it out clearly:

https://bpspubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1365-2125.2011.03991.x

the natural reaction is that knee-jerk fear. but we can conquer that. fear is not a deal-breaker, just an obstacle on our path to learning. obstacles can be gone around, or climbed over, or under, or even gone through! just depends on how strongly youou want to get past it.

once you obtain the knowledge, then the fear dissipates.  fear is just the natural state of ignorance that we all have until we learn different.

once we have no more fear of the truth, then our minds can grow! but if we choose to remain in the dark about things, well, we all have a choice. i spent 45 years afraid and it kept me stagnant. i wish i wasn't so stubborn! ah well, i'm getting past it now... that's what's important.

and yes the gut biome is where our immunity comes from. gut biome off= poor immune system response.  the solution is to fix the gut biome, which means correcting the diet. boring, yes i know. but it is evidence based, real  truth. healing isn't just some secret for the rich or privileged few, it's out there for everyone equally.

did yall know bananas are not grown on trees but herbs?! lol i just found out and my head exploded. also bananas are not fruits! they are berries! crazy stuff!

"Fear is the mind-killer." ~Paul Muad' dib~

from Frank Herbert's "Dune"

Yes, the gut biome is extremely important for good health. Benzo people in compromised positions can suffer untold harms due to antibiotics. Not everyone goes through unscathed, and for those who do, that's great. But for those of us who do not, it can be hell.

Still, what is the alternative? Clearly, I had no idea that my bp would rise to 200+ for months after taking antibiotics, and I have always thought it had something to do with my gut biome. More studies need to be done regarding the gut.

That is a very good study you brought to the table, nomoredrugsforme!

Yes, the gut biome is extremely important for good health. Benzo people in compromised positions can suffer untold harms due to antibiotics. Not everyone goes through unscathed, and for those who do, that's great. But for those of us who do not, it can be hell.

Still, what is the alternative? Clearly, I had no idea that my bp would rise to 200+ for months after taking antibiotics, and I have always thought it had something to do with my gut biome. More studies need to be done regarding the gut.

That is a very good study you brought to the table, nomoredrugsforme!

thanks Terry! :balloon:

A link from benzosupport.org suggesting caution in using antibiotics, when and how they might affect the benzo population, and not specific

to just fluroquinolones. 

http://www.benzosupport.org/quinolene_antibiotics.htm

Suggests using antibiotics that don't work on the central nervous system, the older drugs.

Klonkar

Reasonably, if one’s doctor recommends an antibiotic, withdrawal or not, one needs to balance the risks of taking an AB vs not taking it.  There are those on this forum who’d advocate never taking any drug.  This is an extremist view and counter to BenzoBuddies’ stance on medication.

Some of the links provided refer to ‘central nervous system disease’, which (I would think) does not equate to temporary down-regulation of GABAa receptors.  However I am neither a medical professional or a scientist and am not qualified to interpret the links given to ncbi abstracts, which have full transcripts unavailable to most laypeople.

The following is more in line with reason, IMO.  The full text of the link provided by Klonkar follows, bold emphasis is mine:

Antibiotics and Withdrawal

There is some evidence that antibiotics, especially the quinolones, e.g. Ciprofloxacin (Cipro) can complicate withdrawal. A considerable number of people withdrawing from benzodiazepines have reported quite serious adverse reactions and side-effects after using quinolone antibiotics. There are similar reports from people who are still taking the drug, as well as those who are suffering from the post-withdrawal syndrome. The fact that these antibiotics affect the central nervous system (CNS) certainly accounts for this phenomenon. People suffering from benzodiazepine withdrawal (including tolerance withdrawal) also have a tendency to suffer from a weakened immune system. Some people have actually refused to take antibiotics for pneumonia, which is inadvisable and potentially fatal. However, antibiotics should only be taken by the benzodiazepine patient when they are critical to his/her overall health. The use of older antibiotics which do not affect the CNS is always advised.

Here is a list of antibiotics to avoid during w/d if at all possible.

LIST OF QUINOLONE ANTIBIOTICS -

ofloxacin(Floxin®), levofloxacin(Levaquin®, Tavanic®), ciprofloxacin(Cipro®,Baycip®, Cetraxal®, Ciflox®, Cifran®, Ciplox®, Cyprobay®, Quintor®),norfloxacin(Noroxin®, Amicrobin®, Anquin®, Baccidal®, Barazan®, Biofloxin®,Floxenor®, Fulgram®, Janacin®, Lexinor®, Norofin®, Norxacin®, Orixacin®,Oroflox®, Urinox®, Zoroxin®), enoxacin(Penetrex®), lomefloxacin(Maxaquin®),grepafloxacin(Raxar®), trovafloxacin(Trovan®), sparfloxacin(Zagam®),temafloxacin(Omniflox®), moxifloxacin(Avelox®), gatifloxacin(Tequin®), gemifloxacin

U.K - ciprofloxacin by the brand name Ciproxin®. 

There are new ones coming out every day so be sure to sure to double-check even if your antibiotic isn’t on this list.

A few other things to keep in mind:

1. MOST of us take any and all kinds of antibiotics with no problem at all.

2. SOME of us take Quinolones with NO problem and then react to Macrobid or other antibiotics.

3. SOME of us can take the same antibiotic 10 times with no problem and then have a reaction.

4. SOME of us will feel worse just from the virus hitting the nervous system.

5. If you feel you are reacting to the drug then it may be best to call the doctor and see about a different medicine.

Thanks NMDFM. I don't know much about bananas other than I eat them with peanut butter, which is a thing that Elvis also liked :)

omg you just reminded me of the peanut butter n banana sandwiches "Miss Louie" used to make me as a child!  wow hadn't thought of that in years... sometimes it was bananas n miracle whip sandwiches.  boy, i must've been about 4, cause it was back at Grandma's house. i read that about Elvis, was his favorite thing to eat.

wonder how much the benzos in Elvis's system played a part in his death? he was on a lot of things, alcohol and his really poor diet when he died. hard to tell, wasit his obesity or the combo of alcohol stress and drug stress on his body that caused his death? or the combination of all 3?

Thanks NMDFM. I don't know much about bananas other than I eat them with peanut butter, which is a thing that Elvis also liked :)

omg you just reminded me of the peanut butter n banana sandwiches "Miss Louie" used to make me as a child!  wow hadn't thought of that in years... sometimes it was bananas n miracle whip sandwiches.  boy, i must've been about 4, cause it was back at Grandma's house. i read that about Elvis, was his favorite thing to eat.

wonder how much the benzos in Elvis's system played a part in his death? he was on a lot of things, alcohol and his really poor diet when he died. hard to tell, wasit his obesity or the combo of alcohol stress and drug stress on his body that caused his death? or the combination of all 3?

This is from wikipedia:

"While an autopsy, undertaken the same day Presley died, was still in progress, Memphis medical examiner Dr. Jerry Francisco announced that the immediate cause of death was cardiac arrest. Asked if drugs were involved, he declared that "drugs played no role in Presley's death".[298] In fact, "drug use was heavily implicated" in Presley's death, writes Guralnick. The pathologists conducting the autopsy thought it possible, for instance, that he had suffered "anaphylactic shock brought on by the codeine pills he had gotten from his dentist, to which he was known to have had a mild allergy". A pair of lab reports filed two months later strongly suggested that polypharmacy was the primary cause of death; one reported "fourteen drugs in Elvis' system, ten in significant quantity".[299] In 1979, forensic pathologist Cyril Wecht conducted a review of the reports and concluded that a combination of central nervous system depressants had resulted in Presley's accidental death.[298] Forensic historian and pathologist Michael Baden viewed the situation as complicated: "Elvis had had an enlarged heart for a long time. That, together with his drug habit, caused his death. But he was difficult to diagnose; it was a judgment call."[300]

The competence and ethics of two of the centrally involved medical professionals were seriously questioned. Dr. Francisco had offered a cause of death before the autopsy was complete; claimed the underlying ailment was cardiac arrhythmia, a condition that can be determined only in someone who is still alive; and denied drugs played any part in Presley's death before the toxicology results were known.[298] Allegations of a cover-up were widespread.[300] While a 1981 trial of Presley's main physician, Dr. George Nichopoulos, exonerated him of criminal liability for his death, the facts were startling: "In the first eight months of 1977 alone, he had [prescribed] more than 10,000 doses of sedatives, amphetamines, and narcotics: all in Elvis' name." His license was suspended for three months. It was permanently revoked in the 1990s after the Tennessee Medical Board brought new charges of over-prescription.[257]"

Doctors being exonerated everywhere you look, despite being clearly guilty. Good to know the court system has always been crooked in that respect  ::).

Seems like a classic case of a decline due to psychotropic polypharmacy, with the heart attack being used as a convenient excuse by his doctor. Good to see that the medical board didn't agree with the "not-guilty" verdict. Of course if they had been doing their job in the first place, we may have quite a few more Elvis records. Funny how they leap into action whenever their credibility with the public is at stake.

This is from wikipedia:

"While an autopsy, undertaken the same day Presley died, was still in progress, Memphis medical examiner Dr. Jerry Francisco announced that the immediate cause of death was cardiac arrest. Asked if drugs were involved, he declared that "drugs played no role in Presley's death".[298] In fact, "drug use was heavily implicated" in Presley's death, writes Guralnick. The pathologists conducting the autopsy thought it possible, for instance, that he had suffered "anaphylactic shock brought on by the codeine pills he had gotten from his dentist, to which he was known to have had a mild allergy". A pair of lab reports filed two months later strongly suggested that polypharmacy was the primary cause of death; one reported "fourteen drugs in Elvis' system, ten in significant quantity".[299] In 1979, forensic pathologist Cyril Wecht conducted a review of the reports and concluded that a combination of central nervous system depressants had resulted in Presley's accidental death.[298] Forensic historian and pathologist Michael Baden viewed the situation as complicated: "Elvis had had an enlarged heart for a long time. That, together with his drug habit, caused his death. But he was difficult to diagnose; it was a judgment call."[300]

The competence and ethics of two of the centrally involved medical professionals were seriously questioned. Dr. Francisco had offered a cause of death before the autopsy was complete; claimed the underlying ailment was cardiac arrhythmia, a condition that can be determined only in someone who is still alive; and denied drugs played any part in Presley's death before the toxicology results were known.[298] Allegations of a cover-up were widespread.[300] While a 1981 trial of Presley's main physician, Dr. George Nichopoulos, exonerated him of criminal liability for his death, the facts were startling: "In the first eight months of 1977 alone, he had [prescribed] more than 10,000 doses of sedatives, amphetamines, and narcotics: all in Elvis' name." His license was suspended for three months. It was permanently revoked in the 1990s after the Tennessee Medical Board brought new charges of over-prescription.[257]"

Doctors being exonerated everywhere you look, despite being clearly guilty. Good to know the court system has always been crooked in that respect ::).

Seems like a classic case of a decline due to psychotropic polypharmacy, with the heart attack being used as a convenient excuse by his doctor. Good to see that the medical board didn't agree with the "not-guilty" verdict. Of course if they had been doing their job in the first place, we may have quite a few more Elvis records. Funny how they leap into action whenever their credibility with the public is at stake.

yeah i used to sing along when Elvis songs came on the AM radio back then...i was little, but still. i wish he wasn't gone. miss his music.

and i agree seems like polypharm... goodlord 10,000 rx's in his name in 8 months of 1977? was that all for Elvis or for is whole entourage?  that's a humongous glaring red flag! but celebrities n rich folks get whatever drugs they want. and the rest of us get rx'd drugs to keep us dependent on the system. meh.

on the topic of antibiotics, i wonder how many people have won lawsuits for their tendons rupturing or other adverse side effects while or after taking them? i saw lots of suits for Cipro, and Levofloxin. (only because i've been on those and was researching...) but there's been so many adverse effects reported on all the antibiotic classes. even innocent seeming amoxicillin, a penicillin i've been taking off and on since i was a child, whenever i'd get an infection. sometimes something stronger or more sprecific, like macrobid or nitrofurin etc.

the more records i get from my past dr's and pharmacies, the longer my list grows. which reminds me i need to go update it again in my sig...found out from the latest received batch of records that i was actually on 2mg 3x a day of klonopin, so 6mg a day, instead of 2mg a day as i had though. that part of my memory got wiped out from the drug damage over the decades.