This is the advice I just got

[Qu...]

BB

If you comfortable answering, what method is she suggesting to you to taper? Is she moving you to Valium, or making your own liquid titration, or having a compounding pharmacy do it? She sounds great, I’d just like as much of a heads up about what options she uses before I speak with her. I keep getting tongue tied when I speak to these folks in white coats.

Thanks!

quiet

Sure!  I was worried about you and your experience - and that conversation with the PA.  Sometimes it helps to bring someone, especially if you are not comfortable "pushing back" or questioning the white coat.  I'd offer to join you on your call, but you don't know me.  If you can have a trusted someone with you, do so!

I was furious when I heard what her PA suggested - b/c that is NOT what happened with me.

One tool I use is to carry my journal everywhere and write down all my questions and their answers and what we discussed.  Looking down at the answers, I can then ask clarifying questions, etc.  I can also keep track of what I'm experiencing. 

I had called before I even went to confirm that she follow's the "slow and low" / Ashton protocols.

I met with her and explained that I'd been on klonopin for over 15 yrs, probably more, going from as needed to where I am now.  I have been keeping a record of health issues since 2007 (weight gain, metabolic issues developing) and looking back, I'm sure it's the long term klonopin use / anti-depressants.  It's a vicious cycle.

I informed her that I'd been researching and was using the recommendations by the Ashton protocal and the BIC to taper.  I told her that I started dry cut using a jeweler's scale at .03% the first week, then went to a .05% cut and held that for 2 weeks.  I described my symptoms, bc I track each day (one column for what I'm experiencing for symptoms + how severe, and the other column for the good things and life in general). 

I told her my experiences with dr's and she was APPALLED that people were trying to get me off so fast.  Told her about my current dr, trying to find one that is benzo friendly. etc, etc, etc.

Compounding pharmacies are going to charge you out the ass and it would be rare for it to be covered by insurance.

I like the dry cut method.  For me, it gets very zen and I like the entire process.  LOL.  I also like my spreadsheet for tracking.  I chose not to do the liquid bc  I didn't want to do it every freaking day or two.  And I hate milk. 

She reviewed it and said that I was GOING TOO FAST!  She wanted me to hold my current cut until I got back from vacation for us to review.  I'm actually holding it until I speak with her in October.  So that will be a 6-week hold.  She is a firm believer in "marathon, not a sprint" and she's going slower that I'd like, but she wants my body to reach more of homeostasis and my withdrawal symptoms to be minimized before moving on.  I should be bored before I move on.

She also reviewed my anti-depressants, said, WTF why are you on TWO SSRI's and we started tapering down my Viibrid.  Honestly, I seem to be doing ok with that.  I honestly can't tell what is BWS or the anti-depressant.

I asked if I should add valium to switch or such and we talked about it.  She said she prefers not to do the switch, bc if I can and if we go low and slow long enough it's ok, but this can be discussed at anytime.  Frankly, although I have had some anxiety moments, I've been able to manage them with other tools (metered breathing, meditation, etc).  Day by day, moment to moment, radical acceptance, right?

She gave me some options to help with the insomnia and I told her I'd think about it.  I decided not to and it went away.

How else can I help?

BB, thanks, that's a lot of great info!

did she think it was a good idea to stay on one of the antidepresenents? I am having some bad times and was given a prescription for Cymbalta but I'm not sure what to do.

thanks again!

Welocome!

Yes, I am staying on one (for now).  Essentially, I was on two different  SSRIs, so we are tapering off the Viibryd.  I'll stay on the Effexor for now.

Anyi-depressants are supposed to be short-term too. And I've been reading that between the benzos and the anti-depressesents, it's a vicious feedback loop of side effects.  I've been on them for....forever now.  ARGH.

one thing at a time, right?

Always have your information written down or someone you really trust with you.  And a lot of times I have both.  When something matters so much to you, it's very easy to get tongues tied or forget something, or forget something the Dr says.  You will do fine.  :). Prepare!  Mary 💜💜💜

Always have your information written down or someone you really trust with you.  And a lot of times I have both.  When something matters so much to you, it's very easy to get tongues tied or forget something, or forget something the Dr says.  You will do fine.  :). Prepare!  Mary 💜💜💜

Yes..!!

Dont underestimate the power of an active diary.. After my accident I was juggling Drs by the dozen, and it sure helped keep them “honest and attentive”..  -Even if I was just writing the alphabet down randomly mid appointment... :(

Having a list of points to reference seemed to be appreciated by most of my good Drs, and I think it helped get a bit “extra” from them...

A couple of in hospital Drs and staff looked at it like pure evil, the detox staff were the worst but they sure gave me a lot to write in it...!!