Do/did you wash your syringes or just thoroughly rinse them?

[Al...]

For all of you DLMTers out there, do you sanitize your syringes when you are finished using them for the day or do you just give them a good rinsing?

I read somewhere that dish soap may affect the rubber stoppers in our syringes; but I don't know how true that is.

I also want to keep our utensils as sanitary as possible, but if a really good rinse is all it takes, I'm all for that too.

What do YOU do?

I thoroughly rinsed them after each use.  I never dis-assembled them. 

I used the same pair of syringes for 2 years, and never had any issues with contamination.

You read about cross contamination all of the time and that was my main concern, as I tend to keep my solution for 10 to 14 days.  :-\

I just put mine under running water, draw the syringe back all the way, and push the water out. Then tap it with my fingers afterwards to rid any air bubbles.

Dave.

In a quick search, I found a couple of recommendations:

Cleaning the oral syringe Take the syringe apart and wash with warm tap water after each use. Do not use hot water or a dishwasher to wash the syringe. The extreme temperature may damage the syringe and make it unusable.

Reference: pediatricpartnerskc.com/Education/Medications/How-to-use-a-medication-syringe.aspx

and

...fill the syringe with tap water or cooled boiled water.  Flush the syringe, repeat 1-3 until all original contents have been cleared.  Separate the syringe and piston and clean both in warm soapy water.  Rinse the syringe and piston with cold tap water and dry with a paper towel.

Reference:  http://www.miktell.com/documents/advice-for-cleaning-of-the-home-oralenteral-syringe

Seems to be no real consensus, other than to steer clear of really hot water.

Whatever works for you, I guess. :-\