Does magnesium help or or make benzo withdrawals worse?

[Mo...]

I've been taking Magnesium Gylcinate during all of my med tapers. Not an excessive amount but sometimes during the day when I'm anxious.  I'm back to using it at night along with a small amount of Melatonin to help with my fitful sleep while I taper.

Never had an issue with it and I've been pollydrugged and super sensitive.

FH, how much magnesium do you take, if you don't mind me asking  :)

Not at all. I use the Doctors Best brand ( my husband researched lots of brands and this was highly rated) .  They are 100mgs capsules

I take between 200mg-600mgs at most.  Probably about 300 on average.  I feel the effects when I take them so sometimes I bite them in half and take half at a time.  They are big tablets so I also have to chew them a bit to swallow them. 

I'm going to take a bit more at night and cut back on the L-Tryptophan.  See if taking 200mgs at night, with melatonin will help.  Sometimes I take a 1/2 tablet in the morning to stop the morning anxiety.

Not at all. I use the Doctors Best brand ( my husband researched lots of brands and this was highly rated) .  They are 100mgs capsules

this one?: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BD0RT0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i love it! been taking it for over 2 years now everyday...started with 2 pills a day, quickly built up to 4x daily. more if i get stressed or anxious.  and yes i was just telling Dana, i started taking a pill upon first waking and it's helping that cortisol morning anxiety! thank goodness, whew  :balloon:

Yes, that's what I take.  I need to also build it up again. Struggling with sleep.amd had been taking L-tryptophan but then someone told me that it wasn't food during benzo withdrawal.  I have not had a bad experience with it but thought I would cut back.

Have you heard anything bad about L-tryptophan?

used to be thought that tryptophan was what caused sleepines after eating thanksgiving turkey...now they say it's just the protein in it. ???s shrugs

only way to know how you'll react to it is by trying it out. i go by experience and decide on that. what works for one doesn't for another and all that.

I've been taking Magnesium Gylcinate during all of my med tapers. Not an excessive amount but sometimes during the day when I'm anxious.  I'm back to using it at night along with a small amount of Melatonin to help with my fitful sleep while I taper.

Never had an issue with it and I've been pollydrugged and super sensitive.

FH, how much magnesium do you take, if you don't mind me asking  :)

I take between 200mg-600mgs at most.  Probably about 300 on average.  I feel the effects when I take them so sometimes I bite them in half and take half at a time.  They are big tablets so I also have to chew them a bit to swallow them. 

I'm going to take a bit more at night and cut back on the L-Tryptophan.  See if taking 200mgs at night, with melatonin will help.  Sometimes I take a 1/2 tablet in the morning to stop the morning anxiety.

this one?: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BD0RT0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i love it! been taking it for over 2 years now everyday...started with 2 pills a day, quickly built up to 4x daily. more if i get stressed or anxious.  and yes i was just telling Dana, i started taking a pill upon first waking and it's helping that cortisol morning anxiety! thank goodness, whew  :balloon:

Yes, that's what I take.  I need to also build it up again. Struggling with sleep.amd had been taking L-tryptophan but then someone told me that it wasn't food during benzo withdrawal.  I have not had a bad experience with it but thought I would cut back.

Have you heard anything bad about L-tryptophan?

used to be thought that tryptophan was what caused sleepines after eating thanksgiving turkey...now they say it's just the protein in it. ???s shrugs

only way to know how you'll react to it is by trying it out. i go by experience and decide on that. what works for one doesn't for another and all that.

Took some again last night and got a little more broken sleep.  So I think I will keep it in the rotation.

I have to take Magnesium because it cures my PVCs.  I found it to be essential in my taper off xanax also.  When I started it, I needed 400mg of magnesium citrate a day.

Once i tapered, I was down to about 100mg/day.  And that slowly drifted down to about 50mg/day.  I'm a little concerned that it may be preventing my brain from total restoration based on comments on this forum.  But, I would say it was my #1 asset in my withdrawal from xanax.

I have to take Magnesium because it cures my PVCs.  I found it to be essential in my taper off xanax also.  When I started it, I needed 400mg of magnesium citrate a day.

Once i tapered, I was down to about 100mg/day.  And that slowly drifted down to about 50mg/day.  I'm a little concerned that it may be preventing my brain from total restoration based on comments on this forum. But, I would say it was my #1 asset in my withdrawal from xanax.

oh wow...magnesium is an essential mineral that most people are already very deficient in, it's mainly due to the soil being depleted of nutrients and minerals by overfarming. but taking extra of whatever you are low on doesn't generally cause problems , it usually fixes them. it's like seing your oil is low in the car and when you top it off it runns cooler, smoother. if you don't then there are problems.

i don't get why people look at everything  in such a skewed way...strange.

I do think it's important that people realize for some people with low heart rate, they need to be careful.  Mine was low and I almost ended up in er at 400 mgs, go slow and be careful  :)

I do think it's important that people realize for some people with low heart rate, they need to be careful.  Mine was low and I almost ended up in er at 400 mgs, go slow and be careful  :)

Friday, I took 20mg of testosterone subcutaneously.  I have been feeling crappy since then.  Took some theanine and an extra 100mg of magnesium a few days ago to try to sleep better, and my digestion is queasy/not hungry/unsettled.  I feel like I'm anxious and kind of like I did before I tapered off xanax.  Is this just a wave?  What is wrong with me?

my heart rate was always really low until WD.

are you saying 400mgs of magnesium lysinate glycinate almost ER'd you Mary?

Yes, my hr runs in low 50's and my migraine Dr at the time called and said start taking 400 mgs of magnesium and see it that helped my migraines, so I did and my hr dropped immediately into 40's, my husband had Dr on phone taking my bp over and over and it stabilized right before we were leaving for hospital.  So next day we started researching and found out it can effect you hr.  I would love to use it, but now I am scared of it.

Yes, my hr runs in low 50's and my migraine Dr at the time called and said start taking 400 mgs of magnesium and see it that helped my migraines, so I did and my hr dropped immediately into 40's, my husband had Dr on phone taking my bp over and over and it stabilized right before we were leaving for hospital.  So next day we started researching and found out it can effect you hr.  I would love to use it, but now I am scared of it.

dang Mary! that's really scary what happened to you!

dang Mary! that's really scary what happened to you!

My hr being so low, it means that's the first thing I have to research if I think about trying anything  :(