hard to just rest

[se...]

I'm SO much better at almost 10 months off.  Exercise has been the biggest help in my recovery by far.  I do it almost every day but when I stop to take a break, I can't easily rest.  When I try to take a nap, I get intrusive thoughts and hypnic jerks.  If I'm able to fall asleep, I sweat a lot.  I can't focus on TV shows or movies for very long and I can't read either.  Also, I'm averaging about 5 hours of sleep right now which is not enough.  Has anyone else who's starting to feel a lot better run into something like this?  My sleep wasn't that bad earlier in recovery but when I started running at about 5 months off, it started declining.  I won't stop running or exercising because the benefits far outweigh any of these symptoms and I'm not sure they're a result of the exercise anyway but if there are other things I can do to get through this, I'll give it a try.  I've tried melatonin, meditation, reducing screen time and I eat only healthy food.  I don't take medication and I don't consume any caffeine.  I do drink decaf coffee.  Thanks for any thoughts.

im 10 months off i cant nap to save my life im only getting three to four hours of sleep at night .my biggest problem was insomia now im like mentally and physiacally beat down and i cant rest so i do no what you mean i really cant relax at all and i exercise 5 times a week wether i sleep or not .

im 10 months off i cant nap to save my life im only getting three to four hours of sleep at night .my biggest problem was insomia now im like mentally and physiacally beat down and i cant rest so i do no what you mean i really cant relax at all and i exercise 5 times a week wether i sleep or not .

Read your signature. Congrats on getting off of everything. I was on Zoloft for a long time and it messed with me a lot after I was ripped off Xanax. Sorry to hear about the insomnia and difficulty resting.  I know the feeling of being beaten down all the time. You may have a ways to go but I’m sure the exercise is only helping.

yes zoloft is beating me up  i was on 75mg most of my life then had a stroke 3 years ago and they upped to 150 mg been off it for three weeks after being on it for 25 years its no cakewalk .

Hi seltzerer,

I struggle with rest during the day as well. I’m a shift worker, which is a beast in itself, but I do sleep ok when I am down for the night. As for a nap during the day, I rarely close my eyes for more than ten minutes without jerking awake. Usually for me, it feels like I’ve stopped breathing, but I think it’s just a moment of panic. Exercise has been huge for me as well. I still have some issues but I’m miles ahead of where I was. I don’t drink any caffeine either, as it makes my chest hurt/ tight, and usually ends in some bad anxiety. I have no idea why napping is such a struggle, but I hope someday I’ll be able to melt into my couch and enjoy it!!!

Cheers!

What time of the day are u working out? Try to work out earlier in the day. Usually I’m reved up if I work out too late.

What time of the day are u working out? Try to work out earlier in the day. Usually I’m reved up if I work out too late.

Yeah, this. Try being done at least several hours before you start bedtime routine. You elevate hormones like epinephrine and yes, cortisol, when you exercise and they can circulate for a bit. Also try to avoid screens completely 1-2 hours before you sleep.

yes zoloft is beating me up  i was on 75mg most of my life then had a stroke 3 years ago and they upped to 150 mg been off it for three weeks after being on it for 25 years its no cakewalk .

Hang in there, dog.  I think it will get better if you're not taking any other psych meds.  It took awhile for me with the zoloft to start feeling better.  It's not like benzos.  It's a little more subtle but it does happen.  Mine overlapped with the benzos but I was on each alone long enough to get an idea.

Hi seltzerer,

I struggle with rest during the day as well. I’m a shift worker, which is a beast in itself, but I do sleep ok when I am down for the night. As for a nap during the day, I rarely close my eyes for more than ten minutes without jerking awake. Usually for me, it feels like I’ve stopped breathing, but I think it’s just a moment of panic. Exercise has been huge for me as well. I still have some issues but I’m miles ahead of where I was. I don’t drink any caffeine either, as it makes my chest hurt/ tight, and usually ends in some bad anxiety. I have no idea why napping is such a struggle, but I hope someday I’ll be able to melt into my couch and enjoy it!!!

Cheers!

Thanks for your post, Eazigone.  Glad that you sleep well when you're out for the night.  That seems like it would be tough as a shift worker.  I so relate so just wanting to melt into your couch.  Oh how that would be great and I remember being able to do that a long long time ago but it's been so long.

Yeah, this. Try being done at least several hours before you start bedtime routine. You elevate hormones like epinephrine and yes, cortisol, when you exercise and they can circulate for a bit. Also try to avoid screens completely 1-2 hours before you sleep.

I think you guys are right.  I haven't tried this.  I've been exercising at about 1 or 2 in the afternoon and I finish sometimes as late as 5pm.  I don't have trouble falling asleep right now, it's mostly staying asleep but I still think this could be the culprit.  I don't want to have to change my schedule but small price to pay if it helps.  Thanks guys.

yes that how i describe the zoloft withdrawaler it is kinda of subtle but i can still feel it how long did it take for you to start feeling better and im on no phsych med at all .

yes that how i describe the zoloft withdrawaler it is kinda of subtle but i can still feel it how long did it take for you to start feeling better and im on no phsych med at all .

I reinstated a benzo to get off the Zoloft and because of the side effects of being ripped off Xanax 10 months earlier.  I could still feel the Zoloft symptoms several months later and by that time I had started getting off the second benzo.  It was a struggle for a long time.  All symptoms didn't START going away until 1.5-2 months after getting off everything.  Major improvements at 6, 7, 9 months out til today.