What is everyone’s most persistent symptom?

[Ba...]

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ho...]

• [Ta...]

• [De...]

• [Ba...]

Nausea, thick groggy spaced out head, blurry vision, anxiety, fatigue

Had many symptoms some have gone so hoping these will clear off soon!

I know I'm only almost 5 months off but Tinnitus is my most persistent symptom. Would love for it to go ....

Same here NoMorePills!  7 Months off and I have extreme tinnitus. Hoping it subsides soon!

Best wishes!

Tinnitus..unrelenting 24/7 non stop consistant mind bending high pitch tinnitus. Never ever a moment of peace.  :-\

Same thing here!  As I write this it is so loud and screeching that I can barely hear my tv.  :-[  >:(

The cognitive impairment is my worst issue. I suffer from poor memory, poor comprehension, poor reasoning, can’t learn new things. It is very difficult to communicate with people. I have trouble accessing my mental dictionary and explaining things. Don’t ask me to summarize anything I just heard or read!

I never had these problems prior to withdrawal. As my acute progressed, these symptoms got worse and worse. I probably should have reinstated and tapered more slowly but by then I didn’t want to go through it again.

It’s more than just cog-fog.  :tickedoff:

The cognitive impairment is my worst issue. I suffer from poor memory, poor comprehension, poor reasoning, can’t learn new things. It is very difficult to communicate with people. I have trouble accessing my mental dictionary and explaining things. Don’t ask me to summarize anything I just heard or read!

I never had these problems prior to withdrawal. As my acute progressed, these symptoms got worse and worse. I probably should have reinstated and tapered more slowly but by then I didn’t want to go through it again.

It’s more than just cog-fog.  :tickedoff:

Yes to this. My word recall has gotten terrible. And, when I write email, I now have to go over everything to fix all the typos. The memory stuff is the worse. I was writing a response to an earlier email and couldn't remember what I had originally written to my friend. Ridiculous.

Here are the scores from responses:

Anxiety 28

Tinnitus 8

Cognitive Issues, Head pressure/internal pressure, fatigue, and neurological sensations all have a 5. 

I added my anxiety, tinnitus, and parasthesia to the above categories.

I wonder why psychiatric symptoms are so persistent...I certainly didn't have pre existing anxiety, and now I'm struggling like many on here.

I hope as we all progress, these symptoms abate.

I’m right there with you tatertot! I’m at one year post Benzo and my worst symptom is cognitive impairment. Everything you described is exactly how I would explain it. This goes far beyond the run of the mill brain fog. It all started as what I would describe as dementia in nature. The best way to describe it now is that the front of my brain feels blank. Im unable to process or understand anything. I should mention I’m only 27 and it feels like my life is destroyed.

When you cannot function in everyday society because of intellectual disabilities due to psych drug damage, it is very scary.

Can't hold a job. Can only do simple socializing. Can't learn new things. Can barely access old information.

Every moment is the now. Definitely living moment to moment like "Finding Dory."

I just have to continue to have faith that this horrible damage will reverse itself with time, but there is a part of me that is really scared this could be permanent. Or will only get better little bit, which is just not good enough, sadly.

People talk about having acceptance in order to heal and move forward, but how do I accept this? (Sorry, if that's off-topic)

Muscle rigidity, SI joint pain and mild cognitive impairment... and FATIGUE.

I am NOT accepting this as my life forever.  There is a difference between accepting the process to heal and accepting that it is forever.  I hope I have not mis-stated this in my other posts.  Neuroplasticity is the ability for the brain to form new connections and pathways.. but it takes the BELIEF that it can be done.  I am working on physical rehab not with brute force (that would just set me back) but with gentle articulations with a mindset of healing.  The same can be done for all the other symptoms listed in this post.  Time does heal but I think (based on TONS of research and my experience) that we can facilitate our recovery with imagery, mindful activities and of course, good nutrition.  I am not healed so please don't think I am preaching..... I am recovering slowly.

Muscle rigidity, SI joint pain and mild cognitive impairment... and FATIGUE.

I am NOT accepting this as my life forever.  There is a difference between accepting the process to heal and accepting that it is forever.  I hope I have not mis-stated this in my other posts.  Neuroplasticity is the ability for the brain to form new connections and pathways.. but it takes the BELIEF that it can be done.  I am working on physical rehab not with brute force (that would just set me back) but with gentle articulations with a mindset of healing.  The same can be done for all the other symptoms listed in this post.  Time does heal but I think (based on TONS of research and my experience) that we can facilitate our recovery with imagery, mindful activities and of course, good nutrition.  I am not healed so please don't think I am preaching..... I am recovering slowly.

Thanks, Leslie. I find your post very helpful. I appreciate the further explanation.

Its simple twist of the mindset: healing is happening at its own rate for each of us.

I saw the documentary on Netflix called "Heal" that speaks to exactly what you are referring to about guiding imagery and its effect on our healing. There is a guy who suffered severe injuries due to a motorcycle accident (broken back, paralysis, etc) and he says everyday he did guided imagery of each of his vertebra healing and he healed 100%. He swears by it, of course.

I try to think of this and imagine my neurons healing thusly.

What can it hurt?

Thanks for noting the change in mindset that I was trying to point out TaterTot.

"Heal" is a great documentary and is exactly what I was talking about (concept wise).  May I share with you my imagery for the GABA receptors healing?  I see long grass in a field and some of it has been tramped down by force - either a vehicle drove over it or a heavy object sat on it and was removed.  Those are the receptors.... those long blades of grass forced down.  The Sun is the source of energy for the neural activity.  The blades of grass are slowly, ever so slowly returning to their upright position to once again be part of the balanced nature of receiving energy from the sun.  It takes time as Parker's post points out; sometimes in order for the particular blade of grass to reach its full height - other blades have to wait their turn to get the space to do it.  This is abstract imagery instead of that vertebrate reconstruction but I also use concrete imagery when working with nerves in my legs.

We are healing! Right here with you.