Experience with Total Insomnia (No sleep for days) Anybody have encouragement?

[...]

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Th...]

• [...]

• [Al...]

• [Ho...]

Obviously there are many different levels of severity in bwd and in bwd induced insomnia, and when in very bad bwd these techniques would have never worked for me. I wasn't even in a mental condition to try them but some of these I tried and nothing worked. I was all glutamate and zero gaba. So when ptsd miracle says it doesn't work in bwd, you can answer that it did work FOR YOU, but it isn't a panacea for everyone.

You're absolutely right. It was naive on my part. I wouldnt put anything past benzo withdrawal at this point. And I can't imagine what it is like for folks who are on much higher doses, for many more years, or just the differences in brain chemistry. At the start of this I have been there for 5-6 days 0 sleep but never more than that. I couldnt imagine what it is like after that with not even an hour. But even at that level I sympathize. I can't even describe how terrible it felt to be on the cusp of complete insanity. The burning eyes the off switch that just wont flip.

Obviously there are many different levels of severity in bwd and in bwd induced insomnia, and when in very bad bwd these techniques would have never worked for me. I wasn't even in a mental condition to try them but some of these I tried and nothing worked. I was all glutamate and zero gaba. So when ptsd miracle says it doesn't work in bwd, you can answer that it did work FOR YOU, but it isn't a panacea for everyone.

You're absolutely right. It was naive on my part. I wouldnt put anything past benzo withdrawal at this point. And I can't imagine what it is like for folks who are on much higher doses, for many more years, or just the differences in brain chemistry. At the start of this I have been there for 5-6 days 0 sleep but never more than that. I couldnt imagine what it is like after that with not even an hour. But even at that level I sympathize. I can't even describe how terrible it felt to be on the cusp of complete insanity. The burning eyes the off switch that just wont flip.

Well I'm so glad you found BBs so you never, ever go on benzos again  :)

• 4 weeks later...
Hi all I just wanted to let u know I am one suffering extreme insomnia. I have tried EMDR cbti neither worked. I went into interdose withdrawal and just couldn’t sleep at all without meds, and most nights only a few hours with. It got so bad at one point my dr had me on 2 x to hypnodorm (rohypnol) 2 x zopiclone 7.5mg and I still didn’t sleep some nights. Withdrawal from rohypnol was horrific. I went 5 days without sleep and Terrible akathisia, I didn’t think I was going to survive. Then I started taking 2 x zopiclone coz on the 6th night I had to sleep. Think I only got maybe 4 hrs. My dr had no idea it could be benzo withdrawal, she still doesn’t believe it. I get 3-5 hours most nights, but none last night. I’m on really low dose now, and dreading jump off. I feel for u. I really know how hard it is x

Hi all I just wanted to let u know I am one suffering extreme insomnia. I have tried EMDR cbti neither worked. I went into interdose withdrawal and just couldn’t sleep at all without meds, and most nights only a few hours with. It got so bad at one point my dr had me on 2 x to hypnodorm (rohypnol) 2 x zopiclone 7.5mg and I still didn’t sleep some nights. Withdrawal from rohypnol was horrific. I went 5 days without sleep and Terrible akathisia, I didn’t think I was going to survive. Then I started taking 2 x zopiclone coz on the 6th night I had to sleep. Think I only got maybe 4 hrs. My dr had no idea it could be benzo withdrawal, she still doesn’t believe it. I get 3-5 hours most nights, but none last night. I’m on really low dose now, and dreading jump off. I feel for u. I really know how hard it is x

Rohypnol is a benzo. It's not a good idea to take it.

Yes I know but in the beginning I was listening to my dr because I had no idea that interdose withdrawal or tolerance even existed. That was 1 year 5 months ago that I weaned from that x

I’ve gone 4 days so far of no perceived sleep and I’m even doing a slow micro taper. It’s terrible but the only option is to surrender to it, let go of the resistance toward it, it simply is what it is and will be a wonderful lesson in mindfulness even though from one point of view it is daily torture. I’m proud of you for how far you’ve come, and I’m typing this on day 3 of no perceived sleep, I’m with you

You are doing amazingly too wpwp! I’m about to reduce again tomorrow which is scary but I slept 6 hours last night that’s the most straight in Over 6 months so have a boost to get me thru next round of Wds  :-\

• 8 months later...
Hi. Your experience with insomnia is identical to mine. I just had this one random day where I didn’t sleep and then it just kept happening. This is what led to my first benzo use among other medications. I just stopped using Ativan a little over a week ago. I am a short term user. It feels like I’m just back to how I was before I started all the meds. I get jolted awake every time I get close to falling asleep so I never actually sleep. I’m on day 2. I can go days as well and have to medically intervene. This time psych. Suggested remeron which I’m trying to avoid. Going to see how taking some cannabis products go. I don’t know why my insomnia started. If I knew I feel I could address it and treat the root cause. I did try but it got to be too much for me with no sleep and medical intervention was always necessary. I’ve tried just about everything I can think of, natural and not. How are you doing now? Did you find something that could help you?

Insomnia is my primary wd symptom and I would have it even without benzo wd. I have gone weeks with no more than 3 hours of sleep in a night and many nights of zero to 30 minutes of sleep, like last night. I just hang in there and have the best days that I can have. I don't follow standard sleep hygiene advice either because this is a brain chemistry issue not a behavior issue. I lay in bed completely still and 'meditate' for lack of a better word and I feel like it helps. Once in a while I'll drift off and dream for a little bit.

I hate to sound patronizing but it's all going to be OK :) Ride the wave and, eventually, a window will come. During the day, I am very mellow. I listen to meditation music etc. I do follow a set time when I lay down and try to go to sleep every night and I take 10mg melatonin because I am convinced it does more good than harm. It used to work for me beautifully 15 years ago before all the benzo brain damage and panic attacks.

Anyway, I am convinced that it will all work out and everything will be fine for both of us despite being in the midst of a catastrophe. Hang in there  :)

Alice

• 2 months later...
I usually either faceplant my bed for 6+ hours or curl up on the couch and put a blanketover my face to block out light. I don't really sleep but I like to think it does something.