Experience with Total Insomnia (No sleep for days) Anybody have encouragement?

[...]

I have had such trouble with sleep . No sleep one day then 1 to 3 hours for a couple days then back to no sleep . My cuts are tiny micro tapering because of symptoms . Don’t understand the sleep . Can’t fall asleep and if I do it’s for like 40 mins at a time . Can’t nap at all durning this entire taper . Feel really awful body aches everywhere . Sorry for the complaining .lisa

I'm sorry to here that Lisa, I pray in Jesus Name that things get better for you.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Th...]

• [...]

• [Al...]

• [Ho...]

Does anybody else have a sleep pattern similar to Tman's? I'm also stuck in a loop like this. i have to take a rescue doze of klo in order to break the endless sleepless nights every 3-4 day.I don't know what else i can do about it and i'm desperate. I tried to make contact with him through PM to see if he had any progress since last year. He came back online but didn't replay back  :(

I'm hopeless

Mirtazapine and Trazodone at low dosages are two antidepressants that are often prescribed by psychiatrists for chronic insomnia. I had good results with both. After 18 months, 15 mg of mirtazapine assure me 7+ hours of sleep every single night. Before I discovered this drugs I believed I will never be able to sleep well again. Insomnia ruined my first attempt at staying sober in 2018. After six months of poor sleep punctuated by sleepless nights I was so desperate I was willing to accept any solution, even going back to benzos, something that I eventually did. If I knew then about those two drugs I would have probably staid sober to this day. Insomnia is a very serious problem that can trigger relapses if is not managed properly.

I disagree that drugs are the answer for sleep.  All drugs eventually stop working over time and then the dose needs to be increased to get the same effect.  I have taken both Mirtazapine and Trazodone for sleep....all drugs have side effects, especially drugs that alter your brain chemistry.

I believed I would never be able to sleep either without some type of Rx drug, including Benzos.  Simply not true.  It's a hard journey and a tough process, but sleep returned on it's own for me after have severe insomnia for over a year.  I was averaging 5-10 hours of sleep per week.  Now I average 40-50 hours per week taking nothing.

I literally had dozens and dozens of zero nights of sleep.

CBT-I is 80% effective for treating insomnia is much more effective and a lot safer than drugging yourself to sleep every night!

To write that Antidepressants like Mirtazapine and Trazodone "alter" your brain chemistry is totally false. They do the exact opposite: through their serotonergic and noradrenergic mechanism of action, they balance it. Unlike benzodiazepines, they have zero abuse potential and they can be tapered in less than 3 weeks. I always managed to do that in 7-10 days without any withdrawal symptoms. And you don't have to escalate the dosage, both Mirtazapine and Trazodone work better for chronic insomnia at lower dosages. Trazodone is also the standard for managing withdrawal induced insomnia during opioids and alcohol detoxification. People who struggle with benzodiazepines withdrawal induced insomnia should not be discourage to ask for help, as not a single psychiatrist will refuse to prescribe them the two drugs I mentioned. But to force them to endure months of chemically induced insomnia it's just cruel. And when it comes to CBT, that is indeed a great solution for any other type of insomnia with the exception of the chemically induced ones, as no amount of CBT will repair your physically damaged GABA system.

A year ago I spent about a month with most nights having between 0 and 2 hours sleep. 2 hours would be a great night. It was terror induced due to very severe withdrawal. The worst days of my life. I agree with those who say you'd probably have to start a slow, stable taper before kindling yourself any further. BTW, I never would've gotten through that period without television.

The side effects list is quite amusing. For comparison I will list below ibuprofen's side effects. Spoiler alert: they are almost identical. I'll start with this:

"Warning

Ibuprofen may cause an increased risk of serious cardiovascular thrombotic events, myocardial infarction, and stroke, which can be fatal. This risk may be increased in patients with cardiovascular disease or risk factors for cardiovascular disease. Ibuprofen is contraindicated for the treatment of peri-operative pain in the setting of coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery. NSAIDs can also cause an increased risk of serious gastrointestinal adverse events especially in the elderly, including bleeding, ulceration, and perforation of the stomach or intestines, which can be fatal."

And the list goes one, making Mirtazapine's one look like tic tac:

More common

Abdominal pain

acid or sour stomach

belching

bloating

cloudy urine

decrease in amount of urine

decrease in urine output or decrease in urine-concentrating ability

diarrhea

difficulty having a bowel movement (stool)

excess air or gas in stomach or intestines

full feeling

heartburn

indigestion

itching skin

pain or discomfort in chest, upper stomach, or throat

pale skin

passing gas

nausea

noisy, rattling breathing

rash with flat lesions or small raised lesions on the skin

shortness of breath

swelling of face, fingers, hands, feet, lower legs, or ankles

troubled breathing at rest

troubled breathing with exertion

unusual bleeding or bruising

unusual tiredness or weakness

vomiting

weight gain

Less common

Abdominal cramps

stomach soreness or discomfort

Rare

Agitation

back, leg, or stomach pains

bleeding gums

blistering, peeling, loosening of skin

blood in urine or stools

bloody, black, or tarry stools

blurred vision

burning feeling in chest or stomach

change in vision

chest pain

chills

clay-colored stools

coma

confusion

constipation

cough or hoarseness

dark urine

decreased urine output

depression

difficulty breathing

difficulty swallowing

dilated neck veins

dizziness

dry mouth

extreme fatigue

fast, irregular, pounding, or racing heartbeat or pulse

fever with or without chills

frequent urination

general body swelling

general feeling of tiredness or weakness

hair loss, thinning of hair

headache

hives or welts

hostility

impaired vision

increased blood pressure

increased volume of pale, dilute urine

irregular breathing

irritability

itching

joint or muscle pain

lab results that show problems with liver

lethargy

light-colored stools

loss of appetite

lower back or side pain

muscle twitching

nosebleeds

painful or difficult urination

pains in stomach, side, or abdomen, possibly radiating to the back

pinpoint red spots on skin

puffiness or swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes, face, lips, or tongue

rash

red skin lesions, often with a purple center

red, irritated eyes

redness of skin

seizures

severe abdominal pain, cramping, burning

severe and continuing nausea

sore throat

sores, ulcers, or white spots in mouth or on lips

stiff neck or back

stomach upset

stupor

swollen or painful glands

tenderness in stomach area

thirst

tightness in chest

unpleasant breath odor

upper right abdominal pain

vomiting of blood

vomiting of material that looks like coffee grounds

wheezing

yellow eyes and skin"

I rest my case.

You rest your case, because you've convinced yourself that Remeron is "safe," well so is rat poison in small amounts!  Look, if you want to take an AD for sleep, great, but stop telling other people it's safe and easy to get off of.  Many people have no issues or WD from taking Benzos for years and then getting off of them via a cold turkey or taper yet they don't come on BBs (a forum for getting off of drugs) and push Benzos as being safe.  I'm glad they work for you and you can easily get off of them, but what if people had the same experience with a Benzo and came on this forum and said, "don't worry about benzos, they work great and are easy to get off."  What would your response be to that?

You don't get to pick and choose what drugs are safe based on how they affect you. 

All drugs have side effects.  Even Ibuprofen.  That's why drugs are NEVER the answer unless they can save your life!

You rest your case, because you've convinced yourself that Remeron is "safe," well so is rat poison in small amounts!  Look, if you want to take an AD for sleep, great, but stop telling other people it's safe and easy to get off of.  Many people have no issues or WD from taking Benzos for years and then getting off of them via a cold turkey or taper yet they don't come on BBs (a forum for getting off of drugs) and push Benzos as being safe.  I'm glad they work for you and you can easily get off of them, but what if people had the same experience with a Benzo and came on this forum and said, "don't worry about benzos, they work great and are easy to get off."  What would your response be to that?

You don't get to pick and choose what drugs are safe based on how they affect you. 

All drugs have side effects.  Even Ibuprofen.  That's why drugs are NEVER the answer unless they can save your life!

Mic drop...rest my case!

While your supposedly shocking side effects list is quite amusing, I will report your link to a pseudo medical/ pseudo scientific site. Spreading false medical information on a forum dedicated to helping people who struggle with a medical problem it's not funny at all!

You must really love Remeron.  Your shocking Ibuprofen possible side effect list is nothing more than an "apples to oranges" comparison.  Where is the black box warning from the FDA for Ibuprofen?  But there is a black box warning for your favorite "safe, easy to get off of drug, Remeron." 

A black box warning is the FDA's most stringent warning for drugs and medical devices on the market. Black box warnings, or boxed warnings, alert the public and health care providers to serious side effects, such as injury or death!

This drug (Remeron) has a black box warning. This is the most serious warning from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). A black box warning alerts doctors and patients about drug effects that may be dangerous.

Mirtazapine may cause an increase in suicidal thoughts or actions. This risk is higher in children, teenagers, and young adults. It’s also higher within the first few months of treatment and during dosage changes. You and your family members, caregivers, and doctor should watch for any new or sudden changes in your mood, behaviors, thoughts, or feelings. Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these changes.

IMPORTANT WARNING:

A number of children, teenagers, and young adults (up to 24 years of age) who took antidepressants ('mood elevators') such as mirtazapine during clinical studies became suicidal (thinking about harming or killing oneself or planning or trying to do so). Children, teenagers, and young adults who take antidepressants to treat depression or other mental illnesses may be more likely to become suicidal than children, teenagers, and young adults who do not take antidepressants to treat these conditions. However, experts are not sure about how great this risk is and how much it should be considered in deciding whether a child or teenager should take an antidepressant. Children younger than 18 years of age should not normally take mirtazapine, but in some cases, a doctor may decide that mirtazapine is the best medication to treat a child's condition.

You should know that your mental health may change in unexpected ways when you take mirtazapine or other antidepressants even if you are an adult over 24 years of age. You may become suicidal, especially at the beginning of your treatment and any time that your dose is increased or decreased. You, your family, or your caregiver should call your doctor right away if you experience any of the following symptoms: new or worsening depression; thinking about harming or killing yourself, or planning or trying to do so; extreme worry; agitation; panic attacks; difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep; aggressive behavior; irritability; acting without thinking; severe restlessness; and frenzied abnormal excitement. Be sure that your family or caregiver knows which symptoms may be serious so they can call the doctor if you are unable to seek treatment on your own.

Your healthcare provider will want to see you often while you are taking mirtazapine, especially at the beginning of your treatment. Be sure to keep all appointments for office visits with your doctor.

The doctor or pharmacist will give you the manufacturer's patient information sheet (Medication Guide) when you begin treatment with mirtazapine. Read the information carefully and ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions. You also can obtain the Medication Guide from the FDA website: http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm085729.htm.

No matter what your age, before you take an antidepressant, you, your parent, or your caregiver should talk to your doctor about the risks and benefits of treating your condition with an antidepressant or with other treatments. You should also talk about the risks and benefits of not treating your condition. You should know that having depression or another mental illness greatly increases the risk that you will become suicidal. This risk is higher if you or anyone in your family has or has ever had bipolar disorder (mood that changes from depressed to abnormally excited) or mania (frenzied, abnormally excited mood) or has thought about or attempted suicide. Talk to your doctor about your condition, symptoms, and personal and family medical history. You and your doctor will decide what type of treatment is right for you.

In addition, 98% or more of PCPs that prescribe Benzos and ADs, don't even recognize the possibility of WD.  They don't even think it exists or that if it does, it only lasts 2-4 weeks.  The only person trying to be funny is you, by saying an FDA drug with a black box warning is safe.

source:  https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/mirtazapine-oral-tablet

So you didn't drop the mic after all. And I haven't rested my case either. This is becoming quite enjoyable. But we started off on the wrong foot. I would totally respect your opinion if you would stop schooling everyone like you're the top expert on this problem. You're obviously not. Me neither. That's why I never gave any medical advices. I only shared my personal experience and my non-professional opinion. I also adviced people to seek help only from real doctors, not internet forums ones. And you're totally wrong when it comes to my, assumed by you, love for the antidepressants. They are far from ideal and they do have side effects, but what drug doesn't? Should we stop using antibiotics who saved billions of lives just because they wreak havoc on your bacterial flora? You also asume that I'm anti CBT. CBT is the best option for chronic insomnia, with one exception: when the insomnia is caused by other health problems. Now we're really comparing apples to oranges. When you cannot sleep because your GABA system is physically damaged, CBT is totally useless. It won't fix the real problem. Only abstinence and time will. But you still need to sleep. You have a job, a family, a life. To deny help to a physically sick person it's an act of cruelty. And if that help only comes in the form of drugs, that's a compromise I'll make without any hesitation.

I suffered from longterm total insomnia. For about 2 years I got about 2 until 3 hours interrupted sleep and for that I had to lay down for almost 12 hours to survive. I had to take naps over the day, too. Tried everything, a sleep routine, white noise, and what most people do..

What I did not do was taking new meds. I was once polydrugged and had to taper one med after the other. It was clear to me that after being free of sleeping aids, benzos, ADs, meds like anti psychotics and so on, my brain was not able to bring my body into a normal sleep. in the end, it was a paradoxical behavior, again, that made me survive these years. I did things at night, when I was sleepless. I kind of settled into the situation.

Once I had fixed that in my psyche, and stopped the non stop fight with and for sleep, it was easier to hold on, although the sleeping pattern did not change first.

I suffered from several lacks in minerals and other important nutirtens but could not tolerate supplements when I was suffering from insomnia. Lavender oil capsules were good to keep me sane and calmed me down  little bit. Besides this I spend so much money for equipment.. apps, white noise machines, sleep phones (headband), new bed... and so on... and I think each of it did help a bit.

Then I could start my supplements, in very low dosages. This and other things I was now able to do, helped me to find back to normal sleep. But it was a one step forward- 2 steps back.. pattern first. But with time, the nights just lost the horror. I was so sick of being afraid of not sleeping that I thought I would just accept being a zombie and one day fell on the ground dead. And then, it became better.

I am over 4 years off all meds, and so many meds.., now. My sleep is deep, normal. The only thing is - noises can make me wake up quickly. But also this last problem gets better and I am working on that with some other strategies now..

It is weird that a body can survive and even function with just 2-3 hours of interrupted sleep. I would say now, that I dont have the cruel withdrawal symptoms anymore, I can work and function with 1-2 nights without any sleep. I am just only tired then. In withdrawal with the torture of symptoms on top, having no sleep is the most cruel thing on earth.

I hope it will get better for all of you soon.

I tried mirtazapine shortly during acute withdrawal, it made me sedated, but didn’t provide true sleep. It only took a couple weeks for side effects to start and I tapered off before any real damage on top of Benzos occured. It’s definitely not safe. There’s a remeron withdrawal forum on here too where the suffering is real on top of Benzos.

I'm not trying to "school" anyone and I never said I was the top expert in this area.  There are no experts because there is very little the so called "experts" can do to help people with sleep issues short of prescribing an Rx drug or treating apnea, narcolepsy, etc.  Medical science knows very little about sleep or even why we sleep. The medical community is far from perfect.  Why do you think they call it practicing medicine?  Medical "science" always changes based on new information.  In fact the word "science" literally means "knowledge." One day it's eat this, a year later that position is reversed and the once declared healthy food is now bad for you!  The same thing applies with drugs.  They can't do enough testing on a large enough group of people to find all possible side effects and stupidly it's mostly the pharmaceutical companies that conduct the tests and "ensure" the safety of a drug.

I am completely in favor of drugs that can save your life.  Antibiotics saved my life a little over a year ago.  Drugs that treat stroke, remove blood clots, etc. are valuable and very useful.  I support drugs that can save lives.  However, Benzos and ADs don't save lives, although some people might claim they do?

I am against ADs and Benzos because my PCP and a psychiatrist prescribed them to me for completely false reasons.  They both insisted I had underlying mental conditions or issues that "needed" a Benzo and/or an AD.  It all turned out to be WD related and all of the so called "mental conditions" faded away with time.  I also saw 4 different ER doctors in 4 different ERs in 4 different cities and they all told me that my symptoms and lack of sleep were definitely NOT related to Benzo WD.  I stupidly took Remeron, Buspirone, Sertraline. Trazodone, Gabapentin, Doxepin, Xanax, Valium, Temazepam, Klonopin, Ambien, Belsomra and some others I can no longer remember at the recommendation and advice of the medical care providers (so called experts) I saw.  I also tried every OTC sleep remedy from CBD oil to melatonin.

I learned that it was best to go drug free, tough out the insomnia and wait for it to end.  And it wasn't just me, many others on the insomnia forum received the same results with the same course of action.

Again, if you feel the need to drug yourself to sleep every night, by all means have at it! I am not judging and I apologize if I came across like I was.

I see you love to put AD and benzos in the same group but that's just unfair. Benzos work on the same receptors as alcohol. You can even call them pill vodka, or odorless whiskey. Unfortunately for the people on this forum that's painfully accurate. And most of them have been put on this toxic garbage by doctors bribed by the Big Pharma who  knew all the time about the dangers of dependence/addiction or abuse. I read the story of a teenage girl who was put on xanax at 14. A decade later she was still struggling with the harm caused by that drug. My opinion on this issue is even more virulent than yours.

Antidepressants are a totally different story. For severe depression they are as vital as antibiotics are for infections. Their bad reputation can be blamed on doctors who overprescribe them and on pseudo patients who perceive them as some kind of life hack, or as a safe feel good alternative to narcotics.

I hope I didn't scandalized you with my opinions, my intention was always to have a constructive dialog, not to shame anyone. I'm sorry if I ever offended you.

P.S. I didn't report that link.

I deleted that post that you didn't report!  Thanks

I got off on the wrong foot too.  Sorry for coming across like an overbearing expert!  That wasn't my intent.

And you are correct, I should not lump Benzos and ADs together...2 completely different drugs.  I was on both, so have dislike for both.

I appreciate your insight and knowledge.  Hoping your sleep returns someday without the Mirt?

Good luck!

I see you love to put AD and benzos in the same group but that's just unfair. Benzos work on the same receptors as alcohol. You can even call them pill vodka, or odorless whiskey. Unfortunately for the people on this forum that's painfully accurate. And most of them have been put on this toxic garbage by doctors bribed by the Big Pharma who  knew all the time about the dangers of dependence/addiction or abuse. I read the story of a teenage girl who was put on xanax at 14. A decade later she was still struggling with the harm caused by that drug. My opinion on this issue is even more virulent than yours.

Antidepressants are a totally different story. For severe depression they are as vital as antibiotics are for infections. Their bad reputation can be blamed on doctors who overprescribe them and on pseudo patients who perceive them as some kind of life hack, or as a safe feel good alternative to narcotics.

I hope I didn't scandalized you with my opinions, my intention was always to have a constructive dialog, not to shame anyone. I'm sorry if I ever offended you.

P.S. I didn't report that link.

Benzos are not liquid alcohol. That’s a misconception, a theory that isn’t based on facts, and what leads many people to think Benzos are as safe as drinking alcohol. They are not.

For me it is usually 72 hours before I crash. But I always crash.  I shared this in another post but now I see the insomnia thread. This is what works for me. I hope it helps somebody.

For the insomnia I can tell you what helps me. I am in no way a profesional but I did rotate through a sleep medicine office and the techniques work for me but take some dedication.

I do sleep restriction. A good starting place would be only allowing yourself 5.5 to 6 hours of lying flat a day in your bedroom trying to sleep. Do not use bedroom for anything other than sleep or sex. Keep bedroom to a colder temp of 65-67 degrees and dark.

Keep the same sleep pattern. Mine is 12 am to 6 am when Im dealing with insomnia bad. once i sleep the majority of that time (85%) I then increase by 30 minutes a day. This program is tough but works.

You wanna only try to sleep for 20 minutes at a time. Dont look at a clock just estimate. WHen you dont sleep leave the room and read a book. I know it is hard to read when you cant sleep so then look at the words do the best you can. Alternatively have a light snack or glass of milk. then once you feel tired or about 30 minutes have passed try to sleep again and repeat as necessary.

Additionally i wear blue light glasses after 7 pm. I do not watch TV or use my phone for 2 hours before bed. No caffeine, alcohol, or nicotine after 3pm.

You can try to nap 30 minutes before 3 pm if you have something important to do but I would go without initially.

Try to estabilish a bedtime routine. For me it is drinking chamomille tea and saying prayers.

Do aerobic exercise everyday until you sleep. I like to ride recumbant bike or walk 4-5 miles outside.

Could even try a tent outside if you have a safe yard. For me camping is when I sleep the best. But I have gone into cycles of no sleep for years now and this technique alone gets me right after 3-4 days at most to finally sleep. And then it takes around a week or two to fill up the time slot to then add an additional 30 minutes each night/or weekly depending on how rested you are. You gotta stick to it, it is not fun, but works.

Do not drive or operate heavy machinery until you sleep.

You can sleep. Your body want you to sleep. I believe in you.

For me it is usually 72 hours before I crash. But I always crash.  I shared this in another post but now I see the insomnia thread. This is what works for me. I hope it helps somebody.

For the insomnia I can tell you what helps me. I am in no way a profesional but I did rotate through a sleep medicine office and the techniques work for me but take some dedication.

I do sleep restriction. A good starting place would be only allowing yourself 5.5 to 6 hours of lying flat a day in your bedroom trying to sleep. Do not use bedroom for anything other than sleep or sex. Keep bedroom to a colder temp of 65-67 degrees and dark.

Keep the same sleep pattern. Mine is 12 am to 6 am when Im dealing with insomnia bad. once i sleep the majority of that time (85%) I then increase by 30 minutes a day. This program is tough but works.

You wanna only try to sleep for 20 minutes at a time. Dont look at a clock just estimate. WHen you dont sleep leave the room and read a book. I know it is hard to read when you cant sleep so then look at the words do the best you can. Alternatively have a light snack or glass of milk. then once you feel tired or about 30 minutes have passed try to sleep again and repeat as necessary.

Additionally i wear blue light glasses after 7 pm. I do not watch TV or use my phone for 2 hours before bed. No caffeine, alcohol, or nicotine after 3pm.

You can try to nap 30 minutes before 3 pm if you have something important to do but I would go without initially.

Try to estabilish a bedtime routine. For me it is drinking chamomille tea and saying prayers.

Do aerobic exercise everyday until you sleep. I like to ride recumbant bike or walk 4-5 miles outside.

Could even try a tent outside if you have a safe yard. For me camping is when I sleep the best. But I have gone into cycles of no sleep for years now and this technique alone gets me right after 3-4 days at most to finally sleep. And then it takes around a week or two to fill up the time slot to then add an additional 30 minutes each night/or weekly depending on how rested you are. You gotta stick to it, it is not fun, but works.

Do not drive or operate heavy machinery until you sleep.

You can sleep. Your body want you to sleep. I believe in you.

Doesn’t work in benzo withdrawal

On the contrary I can attest for it working for me during benzo withdrawal. Not saying this is by any means great sleep. More of a trance like sleep at first. But at the very least a few good hours each night to start and after a couple weeks it does begin to fill the gaps for me. Keeps me on a schedule and makes my days more doable. Sure I still get hypomanic with 2-4 hours a sleep a night in the beginning. After my sleep improves I still get lazy about it and then maybe sleep in too late for a day or two and have to basically restart. But camping changed the game for me the other week. best sleep ive had since dealing with this withdrawal

Obviously there are many different levels of severity in bwd and in bwd induced insomnia, and when in very bad bwd these techniques would have never worked for me. I wasn't even in a mental condition to try them but some of these I tried and nothing worked. I was all glutamate and zero gaba. So when ptsd miracle says it doesn't work in bwd, you can answer that it did work FOR YOU, but it isn't a panacea for everyone.

I agree with Ptsdmiracle. The 15-30 minutes-bed for sleep or sex only technique applies to non-chronic insomnia caused by poor sleep hygiene or by a transient episode of intense stress. It doesn't work for chronic insomnia induced by benzodiazepines withdrawal. If anybody on bwd claims that it worked for them, they most probably were on benzos for a short period of time and on very low dosages.

I Agree with everyone else, sleep restriction will NOT work for 99% of the people with Benzo WD induced insomnia. 

It simply can't work, because it has to do with your down regulated GABA and the lack of balance with Glutamate.  Both are nervous system receptors.  GABA is your body's "brake pedal" or what slows things down and makes you calm and relaxed.  Glutamate is your body's "gas pedal" or what makes you active and alert or even fight or flight.  Normally the two are in a "balancing act" so one doesn't overtake the other.  But when your GABA is temporarily taken off line by the Benzo, Glutamate rules the day and night.  That's why you might feel wired all the time and are never sleepy.  It takes some time for your body to repair the temporary damage.  No one knows how long that will be.  But your body knows exactly how to repair the damage and put your GABA and Glutamate back into balance so sleep can return.

Restricting your sleep and time in bed does NOT heal/repair GABA receptors thus it will not allow you to sleep any better than doing nothing. 

Also, all of the sleep hygiene methods suggested do NOT work during Benzo induced insomnia.  Getting out of bed to read will NOT help, nor will going to bed at the same time and getting up at the same time.  All of the standard sleep hygiene practices are good to implement AFTER your sleep returns and you are mostly healed.