So much trouble with tinnitus! How to cope???

[Go...]

Demelza,

There is a website dedicated to tinnitus called "Tinnitus Talk" at the link below... lots of good info and

ideas. For me, I have found that natural masking sounds (crickets, rain, water, etc) that contain the frequency of my T are a little less annoying that plain "noise", but I'm glad white noise works for you.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/

I have found that "natural sounds" that contain the frequency of my T do a better job of

masking my high frequency T and are less obtrusive than pure "noise".  Matching the frequency of

sounds to the frequency of your T takes advantage of a phenomena Residual Inhibition. 

Residual inhibition

" The residual inhibition (RI) effect first noted in 1903: the capacity of a sound of the right frequency and intensity to briefly attenuate or suppress tinnitus.

To distinguish the tailored sound used for inhibition from the broadband undifferentiated sound employed in tinnitus maskers (white, pink or brown noise) , it is usually referred to as the 'trigger' or 'quieting' sound. The trigger sound is closely matched to the pitch and spectrum of the tinnitus, and as loud or somewhat louder than the perceived loudness of the tinnitus. The trigger sound is applied to the ear or ears with tinnitus and typically lasts a minute or two. Not everyone can experience RI; for those who do not, tinnitus masking is likely to be ineffective. "

I have found it doesn't take one of two minutes of the "trigger sound" to dampen my high frequency T.  If you listen closely to my "crickets" masking sound below, it is the occasional

"ting, ting, ting" that seems to make the difference in masking my high frequency T. 

http://dtfsdf.oco.net/Crickets_4.mp3

There are other techniques that people use...  the  https://www.tinnitustalk.com/  website

is a good place to do some additional research. One of them is called Acoustic Neuromodulation. 

Try putting the palms of your hands over both of your ears and use your fingers to "drum" the back

of your head for about 30 seconds and stop. it will usually give you some relief for about the same amount of time.

There is a saying... "if if stupid but it works, its not stupid".  At this point, I'll try (almost) anything.

I am hopeful if our GABBA receptors heal,  so will our T.

Thanks, Top.

Lots of good info and links. I have found some binaural beats/waves that have the "ping" that you are talking about. They do seem helpful, although they are so relaxing that it feels almost trance-like. It's a weird feeling, but better than the T and the anxiety.

Demelza,

There is a website dedicated to tinnitus called "Tinnitus Talk" at the link below... lots of good info and

ideas. For me, I have found that natural masking sounds (crickets, rain, water, etc) that contain the frequency of my T are a little less annoying that plain "noise", but I'm glad white noise works for you.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/

I have found that "natural sounds" that contain the frequency of my T do a better job of

masking my high frequency T and are less obtrusive than pure "noise".  Matching the frequency of

I tried every sound I could to mask tinnitus in my taper and after, crickets was always the best for me and I would use just one ear bud some times for days on end.

I am now close to 2 years off klonopin and still have tinnitus but no longer need to mask it as I am used to it.

2trusting

sounds to the frequency of your T takes advantage of a phenomena Residual Inhibition. 

Residual inhibition

" The residual inhibition (RI) effect first noted in 1903: the capacity of a sound of the right frequency and intensity to briefly attenuate or suppress tinnitus.

To distinguish the tailored sound used for inhibition from the broadband undifferentiated sound employed in tinnitus maskers (white, pink or brown noise) , it is usually referred to as the 'trigger' or 'quieting' sound. The trigger sound is closely matched to the pitch and spectrum of the tinnitus, and as loud or somewhat louder than the perceived loudness of the tinnitus. The trigger sound is applied to the ear or ears with tinnitus and typically lasts a minute or two. Not everyone can experience RI; for those who do not, tinnitus masking is likely to be ineffective. "

I have found it doesn't take one of two minutes of the "trigger sound" to dampen my high frequency T.  If you listen closely to my "crickets" masking sound below, it is the occasional

"ting, ting, ting" that seems to make the difference in masking my high frequency T. 

http://dtfsdf.oco.net/Crickets_4.mp3

There are other techniques that people use...  the  https://www.tinnitustalk.com/  website

is a good place to do some additional research. One of them is called Acoustic Neuromodulation. 

Try putting the palms of your hands over both of your ears and use your fingers to "drum" the back

of your head for about 30 seconds and stop. it will usually give you some relief for about the same amount of time.

There is a saying... "if if stupid but it works, its not stupid".  At this point, I'll try (almost) anything.

I am hopeful if our GABBA receptors heal,  so will our T.

2Trusting...

Glad you no longer have to mask your T anymore... I hope we all get there some day.

I.... like you... was "2Trusting"  when I went to my GP because of "one" panic attack and

didn't do my own research before ingesting the little white pill.  It would have been nice if

he would have said... "maybe you need to see a psychologist for this" .... but how would he

bill for that ? -  sigh...

I began having tinnitus about a year ago, it was one of my first bothersome symptoms, along with severe balance issues, that prompted me to start looking at the effects of long term Ativan use.  I noticed that the tinnitus was getting worse, especially when I began having interdose withdrawal symptoms.  Since beginning my taper, the tinnitus was worse in the beginning but after a month and a half it is tolerable most of the time.  There is hope for all of us, I have to believe that each day just to get up and out of bed!

It is amazing to me how each of us have the same type of symptoms, but to differing degrees!!! My biggest issue is balance and an off feeling in my head, and yet others have different yet disabling symptoms. 

Thanks for the tips about the different types of noise distraction! I will try it on days when the tinnitus is especially intolerable.

Maggie 2146,

My balance issues have gotten much better, I remember having trouble walking. I fell and broke my wrist on 2016, but back then I didn’t realize that Xanax was causing all these issues..

Stay strong.

I had tinnitus all my life but yes it’s been constant 24/7 these past few months, not hurting just annoying more than anything. I always learned to white noise it but it’s so consistent these days, yes at night when I try to relax and fall asleep I put on YouTube on my cell and play relaxation music to drown it out in my head but days are worst. Can’t enjoy watching TV, it’s only in my left ear as well not in right. I hope it honestly is a sign my brain is healing from lower doses throughout tapering. Because I know nothing wrong with my drums just the constant noise is annoying beyond belief.