Are people going to heal from cold turkey?

[Ah...]

Hellbutrin,

It took me a couple years for cognitive function to be normal. But I think my situation was a lot worse then yours, or even most everyone on BB now. I took HUGE doses of benzos for thirty long years. I will be totally honest here. I am an RN and had easy access to benzos. They were not accounted for back then (they are now). I took pills left in the med cart. Halcion was my favorite. A normal low dose of this benzo is 0.25 mgs. Most nights I took THREE times that plus perhaps other benzos I found. This is embarrassing to me now. I truly am ashamed of how I was back then.

I did this crap for 20 years. The last 12 years, a psych  doc prescribed my meds. By then I was in profound tolerance withdrawal, but since I did not that existed, I assumed I had some sort of medical disease. The doctor prescribed Klonapin, Ambien and two ADs which I took for 12 years. My health went downhill fast, thanks to benzos. My medical doc finally realized why my health was so bad and he called the shrink. I was suddenly cut off from my drugs.

My situation is a lot more extreme than most people. A LOT worse. My point is this: I DID heal from this  crap. It was not easy, and many times I thought about reinstating (if I could have found a doctor willing to). Thank GOD I kept on going.

Hellbutrin. I was like you in one way. Mental symptoms were by far, the worst. The physical symptoms I did know could happen, being a nurse. My mental symptoms were always my worst. I carried them for for - no lie - about 3 years. But I seriously doubt that will happen to you! You have not taken enormous doses of benzos for thirty years like I did. I always tell people not to compare themselves to others. Waste of time. YOU will heal when you heal, and that could be soon , or not so.

BIG hug to you, my friend-

east

Thank you 🙏

Hellbutrin,

It took me a couple years for cognitive function to be normal. But I think my situation was a lot worse then yours, or even most everyone on BB now. I took HUGE doses of benzos for thirty long years. I will be totally honest here. I am an RN and had easy access to benzos. They were not accounted for back then (they are now). I took pills left in the med cart. Halcion was my favorite. A normal low dose of this benzo is 0.25 mgs. Most nights I took THREE times that plus perhaps other benzos I found. This is embarrassing to me now. I truly am ashamed of how I was back then.

I did this crap for 20 years. The last 12 years, a psych  doc prescribed my meds. By then I was in profound tolerance withdrawal, but since I did not that existed, I assumed I had some sort of medical disease. The doctor prescribed Klonapin, Ambien and two ADs which I took for 12 years. My health went downhill fast, thanks to benzos. My medical doc finally realized why my health was so bad and he called the shrink. I was suddenly cut off from my drugs.

My situation is a lot more extreme than most people. A LOT worse. My point is this: I DID heal from this  crap. It was not easy, and many times I thought about reinstating (if I could have found a doctor willing to). Thank GOD I kept on going.

Hellbutrin. I was like you in one way. Mental symptoms were by far, the worst. The physical symptoms I did know could happen, being a nurse. My mental symptoms were always my worst. I carried them for for - no lie - about 3 years. But I seriously doubt that will happen to you! You have not taken enormous doses of benzos for thirty years like I did. I always tell people not to compare themselves to others. Waste of time. YOU will heal when you heal, and that could be soon , or not so.

BIG hug to you, my friend-

east

Wow, it does sound like a struggle. Those sound like extreme symptoms brought on by being on the medication for a very long time. I'm glad that the mental symptoms lifted for you! I was a relatively short term user (about 18 months), but my mental symptoms have not let up any and I've been off the medication for longer than I was on it.

I always tell people my own history is extreme. Illegal, stupid and just plain dumb. But I did not know what would happen. Well, now I do. My story serves as an example of what you do NOT want to happen.

Muscle symptoms? I had that. Very tense muscles, due to extreme fear. One day as I walked to my kitchen, I realized I was holding my butt muscles so tight it affected how I walked. FEAR caused this. I had muscle aches and pains and tightness.

But we don't need to focus on the negatives. I healed! And so will you. It just takes time and patience and determination to make it through.

Everyone on BB has their own set of weird symptoms, but we share many symptoms. Everyone is a bit different in this. Fear and anxiety are probably the UNIVERSAL benzo WD symptoms. But after that, everyone has their own way of suffering through this.

Listen, you guys. Yes, my story is a bit extreme. But I healed!!! Isnt that what counts? it took me over two years to heal, but I did heal. And so will you.

east

• 4 weeks later...
:) everything will be fine! I've had extreme use, too. Nearly twenty years of massive doses of benzodiazepines plus Dimedrol plus alcohol. It's terrible. I haven't had alcohol in eleven years. Quit benzo six months ago. Now I do not use any drugs at all. Still have symptoms. It's okay, I know they'll pass. For the sake of freedom, you can suffer a little. You will definitely get better! Hugs!

• 3 weeks later...

I did a cold turkey and healed too.

My success story link is in my signature.

You will heal too.  Some people just take a lot longer than others

Also, being a hypochondriac is probably complicating things?  What's still withdrawal and what symptoms have you "convinced" or talked yourself into having?

Praying for a complete recovery for you!  :thumbsup:

That's really inspiring to hear about. Can I ask -what things helped you recover?