RIDICULOUS DOCTOR QUOTES---ADD YOURS HERE

[Ma...]

Me:

Have you had patients who have had difficulty getting off benzos?

Doc:

No, most of them are able to come off pretty easily....

Me:

This stuff is harded to come off of than heroin.

Doc:

::Laugh Laugh::

Me:

[Walk out of office knowing my pdoc is nothing but a pill pusher with little knowledge of the destruction he is doing]

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Mo...]

• [...]

• [...]

• [...]

Seen in the ER Friday afternoon due to suspected gall bladder attack, admitted for tests and told I might need surgery IMMEDIATELY. By midnight, I've been admitted, but nothing has been done, not even a blood test, and I'm feeling better. I ask, for the tenth time when they are going to do the tests. The nurse tells me "soon".

Saturday at noon, STILL NOTHING. I tell the nurse I am going home. She cautions me that I might "get into serious" trouble with my gall bladder issues and recommends I stay in the hospital. I again ask when I'm having tests; when the doctors are seeing me and when the surgery is supposed to happen, and am again told, "soon". I'm feeling great now, but thinking, well they're the professionals, they know best, right? So I stay.

Saturday at 5pm. I tell the nurse I'm done. I feel fine, I'm discharging myself and I'm going home. She actually THREATENS me that if I leave against medical recommendations and have to come back because I have symptoms again and need surgery that my insurance won't pay for it...I'm thinking, WHAT? That can't be right...and, since I'm feeling fine now, wouldn't they rather have me home taking care of myself than paying for a hospital room when NOTHING is being done?

Saturday 9pm and still NO tests, NO docs have visited me and NO surgery has been scheduled. I demand to see the Hospitalist on duty and the conversation goes like this:

Me: Why am I still here? I've had NO tests, seen NO doctors, NOTHING has been done. I feel fine now.

Hospitalist: You might have to have your gall bladder removed.

Me: How would you know? You haven't run any tests! And WHEN would this surgery be done?

Hospitalist: Well, we don't know exactly, but when they (whoever "they" are) come in on Monday (still 36 hours away!), they can add you to the surgery schedule.

Me: So WHY have I been here all weekend when nothing has been done? And if I am at such risk of needing surgery WHY has NOTHING been done?

Hospitalist: Long pause, then placatingly, Well, just think of it like a spa weekend — you get to lay in bed all day and relax and be taken care of.

Stunned to hear this I could think of nothing to say so I just got up, got dressed and went home!

This is unbelievable....you must have Cadillac insurance they were banking on...

• 3 weeks later...

When I was 15, I was first put on Ativan. I had within 5 minutes of meeting my psychiatrist been diagnosed with panic disorder. I was a very nervous child and I was terrified of taking medicine so I was asking a lot of questions which annoyed him. Also, the reason I had wanted the appointment was to discuss my sexuality, which is what I had been obsessing about and was making me anxious. He told me I was too young to think about sexuality.

As for the meds, he said, "When you're on an airplane do you tell the pilot how to fly the plane? I'm the pilot."

When I went to college I was on Ativan daily and a mess, so I saw the school psychiatrist, who put me on a higher dose of Klonopin. I told him that I had realized Ativan was addictive and wanted something else. He told me that Klonopin is "not addictive and is not really a benzodiazepine." He also told me he had patients on it for over 20 years with no problems. That psychiatrist himself was on something and was quite out of it, frequently missed appointments.

After I had to drop out of college, I saw quite a few as the psychiatrists in my area have a high turnover rate. The general attitude toward benzos was that anxious people need to be on anti-anxiety medicine. If I proposed going down on the benzos they would tell me that I could just cut the pills in half and go down in a week. I remember tying to tell one about the Ashton manual and he called me a "spaz."

My most recent psychiatrist when I first met her knew very little about benzo dependence. I gave her a printed out copy of the Ashton Manual and she told me that "benzodiazepines are much more potent in the UK."

Marcus,

That is quite a story. The uninformed arrogance of these doctors is so harmful. I'm writing a blog that will address my experience with this, but I am shaking my head at yours. These doctors can be such jerks.

Marcus,

That is quite a story. The uninformed arrogance of these doctors is so harmful. I'm writing a blog that will address my experience with this, but I am shaking my head at yours. These doctors can be such jerks.

yep, I'm lost for words as well.......irresponsible beyond belief. >:(

I remember tying to tell one about the Ashton manual and he called me a "spaz."

I gave her a printed out copy of the Ashton Manual and she told me that "benzodiazepines are much more potent in the UK."

Uninformed is one thing, but calling a patient a spaz?!  :o  I think pdocs are the only "doctors" that generally get away with this type of abuse.  It's almost expected of them, in a way.  I don't know that I've met many (any?) medical doctors who have any respect for pdocs, they're the laughing stock of the medical profession.

Re benzos being more potent in the UK.  I've read that on BB more than once.  I wonder if there's something in the water there, or the genetic makeup of the Brits, do you think?  But, hey, if one were to travel to the UK, how would that work, I wonder?  ::)

I remember tying to tell one about the Ashton manual and he called me a "spaz."

I gave her a printed out copy of the Ashton Manual and she told me that "benzodiazepines are much more potent in the UK."

Uninformed is one thing, but calling a patient a spaz?!  :o  I think pdocs are the only

"doctors" that generally get away with this type of abuse.  It's almost expected of them, in a way.  I don't know that I've met many (any?) medical doctors who have[/b] any respect for pdocs, they're the laughing stock of the medical profession.

Re benzos being more potent in the UK.  I've read that on BB more than once.  I

wonder if there's something in the water there, or the genetic makeup of the Brits, do you think?  But, hey, if one were to travel to the UK, how would that work, I wonder?  ::)

yes...thats true abc.....i know .

the only time i met a P-doc was at the Detox Hospital. Jesus, first of

all i met him without his white coat and thought he was a patient with

a serious issue. :laugh:

and then he turned out to be the head of the ward. OMG :laugh:

He sat on my bed and told me have to prescribe citalopram ......

i was clueless...asked for what ?

he said its an SSRI for depression. i told him i wasn't depressed.....

he took my hand....looked deep into my eyes...you know the sort of look.? :laugh:

and he said.....believe me you are dear.....you are for sure. :laugh:

when the male nurse came in i said ...Jesus :laugh:

i have to get out of here quickly......the Docs need more treatment than

the patients in here. :laugh:

He laughed out loud but the look in his eyes agreed with me. OMG :laugh:

I see my doctor every two weeks, when in reality, I really only need to see him once every few months or so.

He'll come in the room, and say "do you still need klonopin?"

I just think to myself, "No, doc, I managed to kick a highly addictive drug, one in which I'm taking a huge dosage of, since the last time I saw you, less than 2 weeks ago!"

::)

The stories in this thread are just shocking. wow. Is this really the state of medicine in the world? I guess the thread title ensures that the ugliest most horrific stories will accumulate here, but still, it is unfathomable what some patients must endure.  :o

I know someone who needed surgery and stood the chance of having some facial paralysis.  She was obviously very distressed, and needed to talk it out, she was in her 40s at the time, divorced.  Went to a pdoc for a "compassionate" ear.  He uttered words to the effect of "Why are you so bothered about it, it's not looking like you're going to get remarried or anything".  :o  She stood up and blasted him and walked out.  Good for her! 

But these guys all get off very lightly because nobody wants to go through the drama of reporting them.  Which really is the only way to put a stop to this insanity.

On the day I told my Dr not to refill my RX for Xanax because I had just finished my long and brutal taper - he told me just how bad benzos really are.

He told me that all of his Dr friends joke that Xanax - Alprazolam - should be called Alcatraz-o-lam - because of how bad it is.

I walked out of there thinking to myself "Gee, thanks  - why didn't you tell me this 8 years ago before it ruined my life and caused me to commit suicide you a-hole"

On the day I told my Dr not to refill my RX for Xanax because I had just finished my long and brutal taper - he told me just how bad benzos really are.

He told me that all of his Dr friends joke that Xanax - Alprazolam - should be called Alcatraz-o-lam - because of how bad it is.

I walked out of there thinking to myself "Gee, thanks  - why didn't you tell me this 8 years ago before it ruined my life and caused me to commit suicide you a-hole"

WOW River......makes me wanna throw up......so happy you survived. :smitten:

• 2 weeks later...

I saw my Doc (P.A.) yesterday. I had good news that I'd gotten off the Ativan (finally) and that I'd been having any number of withdrawal symptoms.

He feels that...I am 'super sensitive' to meds. So he sees nothing wrong with prescribing Benzos in the future. I tried to explain to him that I wasn't alone, yada yada, Ashton Manual, yada yada, Benzo Buddies, yada, and his eyes just glazed over.

He's transferring.  So what does he care?

I've gone so long without the stuffs before, I can go for the rest without.

• 4 years later...
When I asked my doctor to come off Alprazolam early on he said yes I can help you,so he gave me some other pills, when I got home and checked on the Internet they where just the same as Alprazolam, so I threw them in the bin and went to another doctor who tapered me off with Valium and that was the start of my w/d journey.

It is not mine, it is from my friend that had cancer but it is good now.

Doc: so you have cancer are you under stress.

Friend: No I am having time of my life.

Doc gave him xanax but he took just 3 or 4 pills and did not have any problem

[19...]
"You'll be fine with Valium, you don't have an addictive personality ". and when all hell broke loose after she CTd me "You must be super sensitive, I've never heard of this happening before ".

Psychiatrist-as I hand her the Ashton Manuel..”She’s not a real doctor”.  As I assume she wants to hear about my experiences she said we only had fifteen minutes and that I should find a counselor if I wanted to “talk”. Had never seen a psychiatrist before...what do they do?

Love this thread :laugh::tickedoff:

My pdoc in last week follow up session, after I told him my life threatening reactions to many food items immediately after consuming and those food are high in glutamate which can be off after taper benzo

Pdoc:

It must be the fear and anxiety causing the sxs, if you don't associate sx with anything that might cause it, continue eating what you used to, you will be just fine. If you had no problems with those food before, it doesn't make sense you do now.

No wonder we got harmed so badly with doctors dummy like this one

Pdoc: (paraphrase) Well, sometimes people use a couple of shots of whiskey at the end of the day to calm down instead of a medication.

(I’m an alcoholic.)

When I told my GP...its strange.....now I have to increase the dosage in order

to sleep....he replied with a smile...

No worries ....there is plenty more where they come from.

How does the son of a gun get away with this ?  :o

For 2 years I tried to sue his ass....no chance. ...evil system.

Terrible system, evil is right. I’m afraid to read most of the thread, (plus I’m trying not just read endlessly on here and have shortened ability to concentrate) and I’m a little afraid to think of other things my doctors said.

One thing, is I was in so much stress, trauma and disbelief through so many of those interactions that I probably can’t even remember a whole lot. But some I think I try and block out, and so eventually I’m going to try and write what I can remember probably.

I feel sick about all of it, I know I’m not alone in that. It’s really dark.

Terrible system, evil is right. I’m afraid to read most of the thread, (plus I’m trying not just read endlessly on here and have shortened ability to concentrate) and I’m a little afraid to think of other things my doctors said.

One thing, is I was in so much stress, trauma and disbelief through so many of those interactions that I probably can’t even remember a whole lot. But some I think I try and block out, and so eventually I’m going to try and write what I can remember probably.

I feel sick about all of it, I know I’m not alone in that. It’s really dark.

No you're not alone mon pilote....might be a good thing not to remember.