Need a very slow schedule from 6mg of Klonopin to Valium

[...]

Hey guys,

So I tried dry cutting last February 1/4 cut every 2 weeks and it didn't go so well. In fact, it caused a cross-addiction which I'm kind of dealing with now. I think I'm in tolerance but I definitely don't want to go higher than 6mg. So, I'm ready to try a different technique.

Mathematically, I'm not good with conversions and whatnot so a slow schedule would be appreciated. I did find a benzo-wise doctor who is said to practice the Ashton the method but he's not a psychiatrist, he's an internal medicine MD. Hopefully he can help me out. I just have to schedule an appointment (hopefully very soon)!

So since the Ashton method starts at 3mg, with Klonopin, do I have to dry cut until I'm down to 3mg?

Edit: It's 2mg AM, 2mg Mid-day, 2mg night

Any help is appreciated

Thanks!

Did some more research...turns out this probably won't work out right now.

Hi DRK - I wanted to say hello and while I can't advise on any tapering advice as I'm just completing a cross-over from Ativan to Valium, I just wanted to say that is really good that you've found a Doctor who is willing to help you and consider the Ashton Method. I had the same 'luck' this fall and this Doctor has been the only one that I've seen in the medical field here willing to help me reduce my benzo medication vs. increase. I'm sure others can advise you on tapering or the cross-over conversions too. I will be doing the same soon (tapering) once I balance out from the cross-over. I have to give it a bit more time, but overall, it went well. I wish you the best,

-Jan

Hi Drk,

I was on 4 mg. of klonopin and did dry cut the first part of the taper and then proceeed to do use the Ashton manual schedule. At first.  I just took the Ashton manual and schedule with my to my doctors and we progressed to make a plan of action for tapering.  Just be sure to mention to your doctor that your tapering plan may need to be adjusted periodically as needed.  My doctor orignally gave me 80 mg. of valium and was terrifiied that would be too much, but with my tolerance levels, that did not even make me tired, so then I just tapered the Ashton way.  Good luck.  Ginia

Drk

I was pretty close to where you are.  I was on 3mg of Klonopin and 2mg of Xanax.  It was just not working anymore.  I was told to cut .5mg every 1-2 weeks by my psychiatrist and it wasn't working.  I just went cold turkey and only lasted 4 days.  It was a nightmare.  I went back to the 3mg of Klonopin and skipped the Xanax altogether.  Since I did that and was okay, I took the Ashton Manual to my doctor.  Even though he was a psychiatrist he never heard of Dr. Ashton and didn't think I needed to do a crossover but listened to me and it made sense to him.  I did the crossover and it worked so well that I had a little bump in the road because I kept cutting so fast.  I felt so great.  I did have to make a small adjustment but am so glad I c/o to the valium.  It is a much longer half life so I didn't get the interdose withdrawals.  I feel so great now that I want to cut to less but am going slow for the last 8mg of valium so I continue with success.

I am glad you have a benzo-wise doc.  That is hard to find.  If you are able to cut down to the 3mg of Klonopin (60mg of valium) you can do the Ashton Method.  It is a much easier taper.  In 6 months I went down from 60mg valium to 8mg of valium.  I am giving myself the time to get off the rest but I have no symptoms at all today.  Everyone is different, of course, but I am so glad I went this way.  I hope you find the right way for you.  Keep posting!!!

Oleander