18 months benzo-free. Still on an SSRI. Could this be prolonging my symptoms?

[nm...]

As the title states, I'm 18 months free of benzos. Yay!

My healing progress, however, has been suuuper slow. As I've posted on other discussion threads, I've never experienced a true "window" -- only a very, very minimal, but gradual, improvement in the symptoms I've experienced since hitting tolerance withdrawal and eventually getting off benzos completely.

However, I have a number of remaining symptoms that I'm nervous won't ever go away. While a number of things have cleared up for me, I get no relief from others.

I'm currently on 10mg of Prozac and am aware of the difficulties SSRIs can cause. To be honest, the Prozac was kind of a life safer when I first started taking it...when I was on benzos and my inter-dose tolerance would significantly affect my anxiety/depression, it was the only thing keeping me sane. Also, for some unknown reason, Prozac is the only antidepressant I've tried that doesn't make me gain weight.

But I'm concerned that the Prozac is somehow hindering my recovery. Can anyone speak to their experience with an SSRI during recovery, maybe even going off of it at some point?

Idk is it the same but I will share my experiance with SSRi. I was on Lexapro after already quit K. After my acute phase I was a little better and this was my first thing do to taper and quit Lexapro so I did it and after that I put myself again in awfull acute waves. I think just like all other psych meds these can sabotage your recovery. This my thoughts only.

Leslie, that's interesting to hear -- I know Adderall isn't great either, but I figured it would be less negatively impactful since it has a shortly half-life/doesn't remain in the body as long.

I only went back on Adderall about 6 months ago because my brain fog, fatigue, and focus/productivity issues were becoming too much to manage with my job and stuff.

I actually tried going off Prozac (around 8 months benzo free) before going back on the Adderall and once I got past the brain shocks, dizziness, nausea, the fatigue was so much more unbearable that I had to reinstate. I hope I'm wrong, but I feel like I don't have a choice but to use the Adderall to help me get off the Prozac first.

Wow, I feel like my central nervous system is permanently fucked with all the time I've spend on all or combinations of these three drugs...

That does help, Pinky, thank you...after taking benzos for 7+ years, I knew it would be long ride and fully expected a protracted withdrawal similar to what I'm experiencing now (although I hoped I'd be pleasantly surprised and make a full recovery much sooner).

I just wish it was easier to gauge whether certain things I still do (in this case, taking other psych meds) that help me get through the days more easily are damaging me further long-term. I guess it's impossible to know.

I'm debating giving getting off the Prozac another go, but am equally apprehensive.

I don't think they can directly prolong your recovery, but have a life of its own. I know many people where SSRI's stop working and they start having all kind of mental symptoms, many of can mimic benzo w/d. until you are fully off you won't know for 100%.

• 1 month later...

That does help, Pinky, thank you...after taking benzos for 7+ years, I knew it would be long ride and fully expected a protracted withdrawal similar to what I'm experiencing now (although I hoped I'd be pleasantly surprised and make a full recovery much sooner).

I just wish it was easier to gauge whether certain things I still do (in this case, taking other psych meds) that help me get through the days more easily are damaging me further long-term. I guess it's impossible to know.

I'm debating giving getting off the Prozac another go, but am equally apprehensive.

I can sincerely relate. Ive wanted to recommence ritalin or sertraline in my darker hours because i feel like it would give me a leg up back into my life. Especially the Ritalin because my work is really cognitively heavy and i need to be able to focus all day like i used to. but after all this i just cant go near any pills anymore. It will be a while before i trust prescriptions meds again.