what other med helped you?

[Ho...]

TRANSLATOR- Please HELP!

Many thanks for your helpful info.

My GP INSISTS that I take Lyrica/pregabalin --  this week or next -- to 'help' me w/d from 2 Benzos....

So scared.... have had bad SXS to other meds in past, ie, ADs= glaucoma.

Have read the Lyrica drug leaflet.... and lots of other BBs who have had bad SXS from these GABA-type drugs....

Please please  -- would be so grateful for your neurological nursing experience -- I know you're not a DR..... :-[

BUT I see you strongly suggest NOT to take these -- but what if GP is forceful and I am stuck -- b/c I can't seem to taper? 

Too much muscle tension + atrophy = can't walk. Afraid to taper due to more w/d tension. Have many other awful SXS too.

GP will not consider anything else -- to help me get off K +V.

It would be rapid taper off 8mg V first, within a few days. Increasing Lyrica during these days.... 

This sounds like should be done in hospital, no?

Terrified  :(

Sorry have jumbled Sig....

If you have time....

PLS see my Intro:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=214556.msg2759775#msg2759775

And this post:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=214658.msg2760905#msg2760905

Cannot take CBD, interferes w/benzo via liver, I think. Can't take magnesium either  :(

SO VERY GRATEFUL FOR ANY ADVICE, THANK YOU SO MUCH  :smitten:

PYOUNG, for safety's sake, I have checked the texts with the health care. It is always difficult with medical text in English, but I make a try! :)

Lyrica and Gabapentin are antiepileptic, and anticonvulsant drugs. Both belong to the same pharmaceutical family. But some differences are identified as regards the diseases they are used for, potency and side effects.

Gabapentin:  The substance is a strukturanalog to the neurotransmitter GABA.

Lyrica (Pregabalin) increases the conversion of glutamate into GABA, resulting in higher amounts of GABA in nerve cells (and therefore probably increases GABA transfer).

Both options are just as bad. In Swedish healthcare, they warn against these drugs and WD. In addition, the side effects are similar to WD, and it can be seriously. So, no other drugs, the brain must rest during reconstruktion. And especially from these, that affect GABA.

Yeah but honestly it's been years since I've been off benzos s and I feel like shit still. There are stories of people who have been taking these drugs long term some for 20 years with great success. I  really do not want to waste my life away.

CHIPMUNK: Because, English isn't my native language, I don't understand everything. Have I understood correctly, that you have not stopped with Benzo? Right? Then, it can be different. The problem is, if you use Lyrica during WD. Maybe, I have misunderstood?

OK, so cbd could affect liver and how it deals with breakdown of meds so perhaps tht is why it seemed to not help and possibly hurt me when tried it.

Re gabapentin/  lyrica...    I am not understanding all stated here.  I will say that it eems pretty standard here for drs to try get folks off benzos with gabapentin and/or antidpressant.  i realize there are boards saying then you have to tapr the gabapentin... but guess if you got off benzo it is something?

Personally, I cannot take it--  even at small doses makes me eel like I've had a lobotomy.

Lyrica someone posted  papers saying could be helpful.  I guess it is stronger and more bioavailable.  I tried a bit of a capsule and at least did not feel as if I was in outerspace.  Not sure how awful would be to taper off that if it got me off the benzos... or if that is preferable.

?

dear Translator

thanks so much for trying to help!  :smitten:

sorry for the confusion - sorry my drug history is complex to understand, even for English speakers!  ;)

Will try to clarify:

YES - Currently on 1.375 Clonazepam + 8 Valium.

Started at .75mcg CLZ in 2016 - then hit tolerance 1 year ago.

GP updosed me to 1mg July 2016.

Then GP decided 'direct switch' to Valium would be better = only lasted 4 days = couldn't sleep.

Then back to 1mg CLZ for 2 wks.  Felt tolerance / muscle tension in legs in 2wks.

GP then updosed to 1.5 CLZ.  Again - felt tolerance / muscle tension in 2 wks.

SO I started AShton -- GP updosed the Valium ~ started at equivalent to 1.75 for a few days then 1.65 CLZ  -- or ~ 35-33 V ?

Ashton for 25 days, got to Stage 3 c/o. Very hard, but wanted to continue.

Then GP stopped me.

Back to 1.5 CLZ.... Lasted ~ 3wks -- bad w/d.

Updosed to 1.65 Clz for 1 week =  worse tension.

Then Psych said updose more!  Went to 1.75 for 1 night = even worse tension!

Then begged GP to swap out .25 Clz for 5V. Lasted ~ 1 month. 5V helped a bit.

Then tolerance to both C + V ?  More tension in legs -- so swapped .125 Clz for 8 V [5 + 3].

Now stuck in hell on 2 benzos!  Can't dose during day. Inter-dose w/d all day!

So much tension in legs, w/d, destabilized -- due to all the changes = debilitated. 'Frozen' knees + ankles now = even harder to walk / stand/ shower, etc.

GP wants to add Lyrica to help me taper both C + V.

GP wants me to try 25mg Lyrica, in mornings, to see how I react for a week or so.

GP then wants to increase Lyrica  -- to rapid taper 8 V  -- every 2 days.

Then try to taper the CLZ -- while on Lyrica.

Hope this helps !?  Please tell me if I can explain anything better, I will try my best.

Thank you so much again for trying!  :angel:  tack så mycket

PS: so sorry for your loss  :(

dear BarbAve  :smitten:

just thought i'd chime in, since we are both stuck  :(

i tried CBD oil once, it helped stop spasms from CLZpam.

But I had been using CBD oil balm for weeks on my tense, rotated hip --- it did not seem to ease tense muscle --- or if it even got into bloodstream....?

However --- I began to notice more anxiety/tension [original prob] -- creeping in, and that maybe my CLZ was not working as well....

Then i read about the liver enzyme ... and DR told me to stop using it.

So i think this may have caused my increased tolerance w/d...

Also started D3 last year -- 1st ever -- other than small amt in multi-Vit --- due to minor deficiency --- and have since read that it may also interfere w/benzo.... ???

Every body/brain is different, so it's hard to say....

Then, I found that ibuprofen seemed to interfere w/ CLZ when i needed for pain relief during w/d for a few nights -- then w/d got worse !?  [both via kidneys i think]

So I switched to Tylenol this past month --- and the last 2-3x i took it, it seemed to cause MORE PAIN --- like W/D type pain in my hips/legs !?

I think this is due to the Valium /Tylenol using similar liver enzyme....?

So can't take any of the above :(

And GP has not offered anything else -- Only Lyrica....

Maybe we could help each other here?  :hug:

You say you've tried 'bits' of Lyrica --

How much 'of a bit of a capsule' did you try?

Do you feel it could help?  But are not keen on taking it regularly to get off benzo?

I read horror stories about tapering it, so am scared.... but, want off benzos....!

It's so hard to decide what to do -- but you are so close to finish line!

Sorry to see you're not functioning either -- can you walk?

• 1 month later...

interested to see how you do on lyrica.

M y dr. suggested and does help me sleep.  BUT quickly you need more, and by day 3 I can't think straight on it.

JMexperience.