Are we telling people the wrong thing ?

[of...]

I don't know. I have read the "nobody needs a benzo" sentiment in this thread. Someone could take those words literally. There may be a doctor out there reading this and thinking "Hmmm, maybe my patient doesn't need these anymore." Many people on benzos might be confused and may be lacking proper judgment needed as far as their situations. Some of them could interpret the "nobody needs a benzo" statement as, "I should get off of it right now!". That's what I meant.

Basically, it's replacing informed consent with value judgment, and that could be medically dangerous if one acts on emotions and impulse alone. And people on long-term benzos (long term: over 4 weeks) can become very impulsive/emotionally reactive, and there have been studies to prove this.

Benzobuddies members do need to work with their medical providers, including doctors who prescribe benzos to them for taper purposes. Plenty of people come here completely crashed down from cold turkeys and such and are reminded that this a support forum only and that they need to see an actual doctor regarding their own medical situation.

LPF, I really don't want to be argumentative. I know you're having a hard time.

'

Benzobuddies members do need to work with their medical providers, including doctors who prescribe benzos to them for taper purposes. Plenty of people come here completely crashed down from cold turkeys and such and are reminded that this a support forum only and that they need to see an actual doctor regarding their own medical situation.'

The one time I tried that it got me into this catastrophic mess.

It's not about me having hard time, liberty. Obviously you still need to work with your medical provider or otherwise you would be cold-turkey'd. Many members do not even have the opportunity to stay on benzos and are just being cut off left and right. I will maintain my position that being on benzodiazepines is still better than being dead for those that are unable/unwilling to taper down.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [...]

• [Lo...]

• [of...]

• [Fl...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Among my personal acquaintances, I know of several who could not continue in their lines of work and support their families in the absence of maintenance prescriptions of benzodiazepines.

And how will they continue in their lines of work and support their families when the toxic chemicals turn south on them?

AKA......tolerance withdrawal.

And why did the benzodiazepines turn on them? Because nobody taught them how to discontinue them safely in the first place. Perhaps, they may have even heard the "benzos are bad" rhetoric....

Geez, you got a lot out of a simple question.

Well, from what I understand, (and I am just a dumb ass unqualified layperson), and the apparently qualified professionals don't understand is that benzo and other psych meds turn on people due to the down regulation of receptors over time caused by the ingestion of these neurotoxic chemicals and has nothing to do with being taught how to discontinue them safely in the first place, although that may lead to having possibly less withdrawal issues.

So, benzos are bad is just rhetoric now is it? The only people using rhetoric around these drugs are the manufacturers and prescribers of these drugs. I'm pretty certain but, please correct me if I'm wrong, it is a fact that benzos are bad if taken for more than two to four weeks? And even less time for some people?

Among my personal acquaintances, I know of several who could not continue in their lines of work and support their families in the absence of maintenance prescriptions of benzodiazepines.

And how will they continue in their lines of work and support their families when the toxic chemicals turn south on them?

AKA......tolerance withdrawal.

And why did the benzodiazepines turn on them? Because nobody taught them how to discontinue them safely in the first place. Perhaps, they may have even heard the "benzos are bad" rhetoric....

Geez, you got a lot out of a simple question.

Well, from what I understand, (and I am just a dumb ass unqualified layperson), and the apparently qualified professionals don't understand is that benzo and other psych meds turn on people due to the down regulation of receptors over time caused by the ingestion of these neurotoxic chemicals and has nothing to do with being taught how to discontinue them safely in the first place, although that may lead to having possibly less withdrawal issues.

So, benzos are bad is just rhetoric now is it? The only people using rhetoric around these drugs are the manufacturers and prescribers of these drugs. I'm pretty certain but, please correct me if I'm wrong, it is a fact that benzos are bad if taken for more than two to four weeks? And even less time for some people?

There are many medical professionals that do understand that benzos should not be used for more than 2-4 weeks. I am sorry that you had a doctor who didn't.

I don't know. I have read the "nobody needs a benzo" sentiment in this thread. Someone could take those words literally. There may be a doctor out there reading this and thinking "Hmmm, maybe my patient doesn't need these anymore." Many people on benzos might be confused and may be lacking proper judgment needed as far as their situations. Some of them could interpret the "nobody needs a benzo" statement as, "I should get off of it right now!". That's what I meant.

Basically, it's replacing informed consent with value judgment, and that could be medically dangerous if one acts on emotions and impulse alone. And people on long-term benzos (long term: over 4 weeks) can become very impulsive/emotionally reactive, and there have been studies to prove this.

Benzobuddies members do need to work with their medical providers, including doctors who prescribe benzos to them for taper purposes. Plenty of people come here completely crashed down from cold turkeys and such and are reminded that this a support forum only and that they need to see an actual doctor regarding their own medical situation.

'

Benzobuddies members do need to work with their medical providers, including doctors who prescribe benzos to them for taper purposes. Plenty of people come here completely crashed down from cold turkeys and such and are reminded that this a support forum only and that they need to see an actual doctor regarding their own medical situation.'

It's not about me having hard time, liberty. Obviously you still need to work with your medical provider or otherwise you would be cold-turkey'd. Many members do not even have the opportunity to stay on benzos and are just being cut off left and right. I will maintain my position that being on benzodiazepines is still better than being dead.

I don't have a medical provider ... which doesn't mean I don't take the drug anymore. Long story.  While I could respond further, I think it's best to leave it at that. <zips mouth>

'

It's not about me having hard time, liberty. Obviously you still need to work with your medical provider or otherwise you would be cold-turkey'd. Many members do not even have the opportunity to stay on benzos and are just being cut off left and right. I will maintain my position that being on benzodiazepines is still better than being dead.

I don't have a medical provider ... which doesn't mean I don't take the drug anymore. Long story.  He is the one who got me into this messed and abused my rights as a patient and a human being. They often prescribe these drugs like smarties. My situation: the medical idiots have nu clue. I 'm not being helped by a doctor. I have been abused. i coudl get the drug, but not proper medical teratment. It's bizarre.

I can imagine this raises some questions, but I think it's best to leave it at that.

I am sorry you got abandoned by the very doctor who prescribed this to you. I am truly sorry, and I rest my case. Please be well. I also had a doctor who cut me off and said "benzo are bad". I wasn't able to taper down completely before he cut me off. When a single doctor uses benzos are bad argument for the sole purpose of protecting himself and his own liability regardless whether a patient may not survive after the fact, it ceases to be rhetorical argument. Yes, I am all for rhetorical arguments here on this board, but I have seen some of my previous doctors who overprescribed me in the past now acting like saints and saying "Oh, I don't prescribe these anymore".

Once I was cut off, I called the local mental health services, and was told by the intake coordinator that "anxiety is natural and that it can be dealt with using natural means. But if you have depression, then I can make you an appointment with a doctor".

Needless to say, I didn't go through them and found another doctor on my own.

Again, apologies to everyone.

If FloridaGuy and all want to use this and other threads in this section as a platform about the dangers of benzodiazepines to warn those who have not been severely harmed by them, I am all for that.

The problem is that spreading that message to us "in the know" is basically preaching to the choir and doesn't help much. We have already had our ugly awakenings and are doing the best we can, given the circumstances.

So, when saying "benzos are bad" or "AD's are bad", context matters. Who is the target audience? BB Members or the wider audience? Or both?

Well, from what I understand, (and I am just a dumb ass unqualified layperson), and the apparently qualified professionals don't understand is that benzo and other psych meds turn on people due to the down regulation of receptors over time caused by the ingestion of these neurotoxic chemicals and has nothing to do with being taught how to discontinue them safely in the first place, although that may lead to having possibly less withdrawal issues

The GABA receptor downregulation is a real deal and so are the other disabling changes. I am not arguing that at all. But benzos are not affecting everyone the same. We're talking about 20-30% of the entire population that gets affected, which is very significant, but good luck convincing those 70-80% out there that benzos are bad when they haven't had any significant problems with them.

I estimate about 20-30% of people who are on a benzodiazepine like diazepam have trouble coming off and of those about a third have very distressing symptoms. The anxiety or the sleeplessness comes back, they feel as if they're physically ill - we talk about a flu-like illness - then they start to get some very bizarre symptoms which we technically call hypersensitivity but essentially what it is is the brain is starting to wake up and it overwakes - sounds appear loud and lights appear bright, so they're wearing sunglasses indoors and they also have a symptom whereby they feel very unsteady and they will walk round the room holding on to the walls - and they really are then in a bad withdrawal state. It's very difficult to come off these drugs and the facilities are just not available and the great scandal is that the NHS claims to be dealing with these people by referring them to addiction centres, where essentially they'll sit next to a street user who's injecting heroine and of course a housewife who's been put on tranquillisers by her doctor is very upset by this ... There is a change taking place which is that if a general practitioner prescribes for longer than the agreed time - two weeks or four weeks - they can be sued by the patient for substandard clinical care and I suspect in the longer term the prescribing of these drugs will be as much dependent on lawyers' attitudes as it will be on doctors' attitudes. - Professor Malcolm H Lader, Professor of Clinical Psychopharmacology, Institute of Psychiatry, University of London on BBC Radio 4 Face the Facts, July 27, 2011.

https://benzo.org.uk/lader2.htm

Also, when I mentioned anti-psychiatry, I didn't think of you. What I meant was certain groups such as CCHR and other organizations who are so against psychiatry and psychiatric drugs and any mind altering drugs (teas and coffee fall into their criteria of mind altering drugs) to the point of complete dogma. I have become very skeptical of psychiatry and many medications that work on central nervous sysem (benzos in particular), but the full dangers of taking psychiatric drugs need to be presented to people BEFORE they take them. Once they have been on them for a while, it becomes a cost/benefit analysis, where each individual has to decide what's best for them.

Meanwhile, the best that can be done is to offer support and reassurance to those that have been gravely harmed.

If FloridaGuy and all want to use this and other threads in this section as a platform about the dangers of benzodiazepines to warn those who have not been severely harmed by them, I am all for that.

The problem is that spreading that message to us "in the know" is basically preaching to the choir and doesn't help much. We have already had our ugly awakenings and are doing the best we can, given the circumstances.

So, when saying "benzos are bad" or "AD's are bad", context matters. Who is the target audience? BB Members or the wider audience? Or both?

"If FloridaGuy and all want to use this and other threads in this section as a platform about the dangers of benzodiazepines to warn those who have not been severely harmed by them, I am all for that."

I'm not all for that. Out of the multiple millions of people world wide who regularly use benzodiazepines, why pander to those who have not been severely harmed? That is only a small percentage of regular users. When I joined bb's I didn't realize its focus was only for those who have or will recover from the use of benzos.

I, my personal acquaintances & multiple millions of others are being delegitimized by this & similar intolerant lines of thinking & mantras. FG & all do not know who has & who hasn't been severely harmed by benzos. We who have been on legitimate maintenance doses for decades are better judges of our own bodies/minds & damages to them than they are. 

We have attempted withdrawing, we have suffered debilitating symptoms which were becoming worse to the point of not being able to continue in our lines of work, supporting our families, paying taxes, etc. (our responsibilities) and we truly need maintenance doses of benzos to survive & thrive.

Mantras that delegitimize people like us is not based upon fact, it is cruel and it can be harmful if not detrimental to our health and the health of those who depend upon us.

[7d...]

The GABA receptor downregulation is a real deal and so are the other disabling changes.

I am not arguing that at all.

But benzos are not affecting everyone the same.

We're talking about 20-30% of the entire population that gets affected,

which is very significant, but good luck convincing those 70-80% out there that benzos are bad

when they haven't had any significant problems with them.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: well put LF

I think here is also more than just the Gaba down  regulation ( or how much damage is done there ) going on for many

these drugs affect many people in many differing ways also.  :thumbsup: 

"If FloridaGuy and all want to use this and other threads in this section as a platform about the dangers of benzodiazepines to warn those who have not been severely harmed by them, I am all for that."

I'm not all for that. Out of the multiple millions of people world wide who regularly use benzodiazepines, why pander to those who have not been severely harmed? That is only a small percentage of regular users. When I joined bb's I didn't realize its focus was only for those who have or will recover from the use of benzos.

I, my personal acquaintances & multiple millions of others are being delegitimized by this & similar intolerant lines of thinking & mantras. FG & all do not know who has & who hasn't been severely harmed by benzos. We who have been on legitimate maintenance doses for decades are better judges of our own bodies/minds & damages to them than they are. 

We have attempted withdrawing, we have suffered debilitating symptoms which were becoming worse to the point of not being able to continue in our lines of work, supporting our families, paying taxes, etc. (our responsibilities) and we truly need maintenance doses of benzos to survive & thrive.

Mantras that delegitimize people like us is not based upon fact, it is cruel and it can be harmful if not detrimental to our health and the health of those who depend upon us.

Hi, I would like to jump in here.

Fi, I see a lot of your posts and they have a similar tone.  You're seem to be playing the victim against a group of people who are supporting each other while getting off a particularly difficult medication.  You are hardly being "delegitimized".  Your views have been tolerated.  No one here is being cruel to you or harming you in any way.  I have seen many who are listening and considering your points of view.  If you feel that way, I would suggest not using these forums.  You are not a victim here.

There are many victims here, most of us are victims of one kind or another but mostly we are all benzo victims. When I initially joined, I was of the opinion that I would be able to withdraw & that I'm not suffering permanent or very long lasting damage. In going down from a long lasting high dosage of xanax to .25mg, I experienced most of the documented symptoms & endured them, thankfully. However, I am now nearly convinced that complete cessation from the drug is not in my best interests and that I will likely "need" the drug to survive & thrive for the remainder of my natural life. I'm not suggesting that the majority of bb's are delegitimizing my condition but there are a vocal few who continue to propagate the mantras that 'everyone will heal with time', that 'no one needs' benzodiazepines, and similar lines of thinking. I still find the forum useful to me in other ways & I also attempt to help others on this forum. Thank you for 'tolerating' my presences. Are you suggesting that this forum is ONLY for people trying to get off of benzodiazepines? Is it not also for the general education & discussion of ALL aspects of benzodiazepine dependence?

So, when saying "benzos are bad" or "AD's are bad", context matters.

Yes I agree Lorazepam2015, it's all about the context, the statement must analyzed in the context in which it was made.

I also agree with FloridaGuy that the term 'need' as it pertains to the use of psychotropic drugs in our society today is being used way too loosely.

I was on the drug for a very short period of time, since withdrawing, I cannot work ,socialise exercise or do much at all to be honest. Its been a year now. Surely it's not like that after such a short period of time on the drug I would need it to function for the rest of my life. That's quite scary. After such a short space of time I am forced into the position of needing a drug I didn't need for rest of my life.

There are many victims here, most of us are victims of one kind or another but mostly we are all benzo victims. When I initially joined, I was of the opinion that I would be able to withdraw & that I'm not suffering permanent or very long lasting damage. In going down from a long lasting high dosage of xanax to .25mg, I experienced most of the documented symptoms & endured them, thankfully. However, I am now nearly convinced that complete cessation from the drug is not in my best interests and that I will likely "need" the drug to survive & thrive for the remainder of my natural life. I'm not suggesting that the majority of bb's are delegitimizing my condition but there are a vocal few who continue to propagate the mantras that 'everyone will heal with time', that 'no one needs' benzodiazepines, and similar lines of thinking. I still find the forum useful to me in other ways & I also attempt to help others on this forum. Thank you for 'tolerating' my presences. Are you suggesting that this forum is ONLY for people trying to get off of benzodiazepines? Is it not also for the general education & discussion of ALL aspects of benzodiazepine dependence?

You seem particularly upset by the "few" and single them out.  Sometimes, in making your case (and that of "personal acquaintances & multiple millions of others") you overstate and appear intolerant of opinions contrary to yours.  My understanding is support for anyone harmed by benzos and many here seem to listen and consider your views.

You seem particularly upset by the "few" and single them out.  Sometimes, in making your case (and that of "personal acquaintances & multiple millions of others") you overstate and appear intolerant of opinions contrary to yours.  My understanding is support for anyone harmed by benzos and many here seem to listen and consider your views.

I also want to support anyone harmed by benzos. I'm sorry if I offend others, my intention has been only to single out those ideas (not individuals) that a) are not substantiated by documented & repeatable experiments/studies and b) that are not universal to all or substantially all of those who have been harmed by benzos. I'm sorry if some have misinterpreted my intentions. My intentions are altruistic, not malevolent.

[7d...]

I still find the forum useful to me in other ways & I also attempt to help others on this forum.

Thank you for 'tolerating' my presences.

Are you suggesting that this forum is ONLY for people trying to get off of benzodiazepines?

Is it not also for the general education & discussion of ALL aspects of benzodiazepine dependence?

I seem to see people like FI Addendum and many others who step outside the general consensus

when reading on here a support and  education discussion forum

and others still on benzos or others who disagree with the common mantras,

this attracts the mob mentality that come down hard on them sadly  :'(

and they single out these individuals often which is sad,  :'(

I have seen this often in the 4 years plus since joining here sadly

We are all different and perceive things differently even the written word

and have vastly differing experiences, ages time off, symptoms etc etc

I have not seen much support empathy or understanding

for those people  or their opinions regardless.

People seem intolerant to these very peoples

opinions as I see it.  :'( because they differ.  :'(

[7d...]

I also want to support anyone harmed by benzos.

I'm sorry if I offend others, my intention has been only to single out those ideas (not individuals)

that a) are not substantiated by documented & repeatable experiments/studies

and b) that are not universal to all or substantially all of those who have been harmed by benzos.

I'm sorry if some have misinterpreted my intentions. My intentions are altruistic, not malevolent.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: well said  :thumbsup:

I still find the forum useful to me in other ways & I also attempt to help others on this forum.

Thank you for 'tolerating' my presences.

Are you suggesting that this forum is ONLY for people trying to get off of benzodiazepines?

Is it not also for the general education & discussion of ALL aspects of benzodiazepine dependence?

I seem to see people like FI Addendum and many others who step outside the general consensus

when reading on here a support and  education discussion forum

and others still on benzos or others who disagree with the common mantras,

this attracts the mob mentality that come down hard on them sadly  :'(

and they single out these individuals often which is sad.

We are all different and perceive things differently and have vastly differing experiences

I have not seen much support for those people  or their opinions regardless.

People seem intolerant to these very peoples

opinions as I see it.  :'( because they differ.  :'(

Thank you SkyBlue2. I appreciate all your words. Well said  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I was on the drug for a very short period of time, since withdrawing, I cannot work ,socialise exercise or do much at all to be honest. Its been a year now. Surely it's not like that after such a short period of time on the drug I would need it to function for the rest of my life. That's quite scary. After such a short space of time I am forced into the position of needing a drug I didn't need for rest of my life.

Same here Gooner very short yet long enough to fuck me up.

Whats worse is I was MIS-diagnosed with a condition I never had and given drugs that I never needed, so now my actual medical condition was fixed with day surgery and here I am sick as a dog trying to survive withdrawals years later.

I was told that I had 3 separate mental disorders and would need to be on drugs the rest of my life. It was a garbage diagnosis based on absolutely no objective data. I never did have a mental disorder despite their insistence to the contrary.

:brickwall: The AD did not "create" his illness

I am only going off of what you said:

Yes, an AD gave him anxiety. It is true and I believe him.

The same AD rescued him from endless anxiety. It is true and I believe him.

Both incidents can happen to the same person.

Well, I personally can't find one word here that I disagree with.  I'm actually a little confused why Fi's point of view is even being regarded as so controversial.  If someone is experiencing unbearable pain and suffering during their taper and in jeopardy of losing everything, it's a huge insult to other BBs if they choose to either postpone or abandon their taper altogether?  Is that it?  What am I missing?  Confused.

Some people do "need" a benzo to help them stop taking a benzo. That isn't what I am saying.

I am not suggesting for second that people should not use a benzo to help taper from a benzo and I don't think that I implied such. Once again, my point is that benzos do not cure anything. Maybe someone does indeed need them to prevent seizures. There, there is an actually "need". But how many people here were taking them for that reason, to potentially save their life? I have been here for 8 years and I can't recall one. Most people were given these drugs for anxiety, sleep, or some other non-life threatening issue, many of which can be treated more effectively by other means.

So we can argue that there are legitimate instances where benzos are needed, but that doesn't change the fact that that isn't how they are used most of the time, and as soon as you leave yourself open to the idea that they are indeed needed for anything but tapering or preventing seizures that gives you an excuse to start taking them for any perceived need. I need to get some sleep so I need a benzo. I need to tone down this anxiety so I'm not a nervous wreck at the party so I need a benzo. I need to make these benzo wd symptoms go away so I can work so I need a benzo. It's a slippery slope, especially once it has been established that benzos have caused some kind of damage to your CNS.

It honestly amazes me how anyone who spends any amount of time on BB could look at it differently. I had a couple of instances in real life recently where people poo-pooed my advice about these drugs and I expect it from folks who have no perspective but it amazes me that anyone who has seen what these drugs can do can hold on to the belief that some people need these drug outside of these very limited circumstances.

I also agree with FloridaGuy that the term 'need' as it pertains to the use of psychotropic drugs in our society today is being used way too loosely.

That is exactly the point I have been trying to make. 

I'm sorry if I offend others, my intention has been only to single out those ideas (not individuals) that a) are not substantiated by documented & repeatable experiments/studies

Where is the data that proves that people do not heal from this? That seems to be the gist of your argument for needing to be on these drugs for the rest of your life. If you want to call other people out for not being able to prove their theories you should be able to provide some proof to back up your own.