Valium to Librium

[Fr...]

does anyone know libriums duration of action.... I wonder if it’s as long as K or V. I don’t know why it’s so hard to find even simple info about Librium online.

5 to 30 hours according to wiki but it breaks down into other compounds with much longer half lifes.

I believe that is the half life. I have not found much on duration of action. Seems to be an old med without a lot of info out there.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Fr...]

• [Du...]

• [Su...]

• [dr...]

does anyone know libriums duration of action.... I wonder if it’s as long as K or V. I don’t know why it’s so hard to find even simple info about Librium online.

5 to 30 hours according to wiki but it breaks down into other compounds with much longer half lifes.

I believe that is the half life. I have not found much on duration of action. Seems to be an old med without a lot of info out there.

It breaks down in 5–30 hours (Active metabolite desmethyldiazepam 36–200 hours: other active metabolites include oxazepam) so has a longish duration of action but not quite as good as V. It seems popular for alcohol detox from what I've read. If it's less depressing than V I'm going to ask my pdoc if I can try it out. I think my 12mg V would equal 30mg L according to Ashton. i'm not sure if I'd need to taper across or just jump. Need to sell the idea to my pdoc first though.

Staz

I just left the doctor and got my prescription for Librium so i will begin the crossover.

Dub I couldn’t find duration of action for valium either. Not sure why they are holding out on us.

Very strange just found out the onset duration of Valium is 4-6 hours, but klonopin is 6-12 hours. So why does Valium help more with interdose withdrawal more. Is half life more important than onset duration? I’m confused

That is why I felt so bad on V it hit hard and fast and when it peaked it gave me anxiety. It only lasted about 3-4 hours then I was in terrible rebound anxiety interdose jonesing for more. It felt like xanex to me. This is why the addiction doctors don’t use it. It has addiction potential by its fast onset and short duraction. Possibly over time when it builds up I would have been better but I felt cracked out injnow there are so many that do well on it. I am just super sensitive and a fast metabolizer of V..

I feel valium in 15-20 mins. Librium is about 1.5 hours.

My tolerance must be sky high as I don't feel anything after dosing with V at all.

Remember I am brand new to taking it. I never felt anything dosing my clonazepam that I had been on for a couple years.

Yep.. tolerance is a given after some time.

If I could suggest that you folks might consider going to the 'explaining to a lay person ' thread which is on the chewing the fat section of the site dme 123 , who is one of the most knowledgeable and generally open people' takes Librium and likely could answer many of these questions I can no longer remember who here was talking a lot about duration of action here, but i Think it Terry63? and he too hangs out on that thread

If I could suggest that you folks might consider going to the 'explaining to a lay person ' thread which is on the chewing the fat section of the site dme 123 , who is one of the most knowledgeable and generally open people' takes Librium and likely could answer many of these questions I can no longer remember who here was talking a lot about duration of action here, but i Think it Terry63? and he too hangs out on that thread

I have been over there and he has helped me so much.

Thank you

You could ask dm123 ... but don't spam him, he couldn't consistent sources ! I'm curious myself.

If the onset is slower, maybe the duration of action is longer too ? That's a guess.

I have read that chewing the fat thread several times and he said he couldn’t find a reliable source for duration of action and focuses more on the onset of action.

Yes liberty I think it makes sense that since  it’s onset is later that the duration is longer. Honestly Ii think clonazepam has the longest duration of action that is if you are not tolerant and it still works for you. I found clonazepam to turn on me very quickly almost paradoxically and tolerant.

Does anyone know the action of duration for Valium? I know that klonopin is 6-12 hours, but can’t find valiums either

3-4 hours...

Does anyone know the action of duration for Valium? I know that klonopin is 6-12 hours, but can’t find valiums either

3-4 hours...

Wow tnx that’s a lot shorter than I had thought, so it’s even shorter than valiums?

3-4 hours...

Wow tnx that’s a lot shorter than I had thought, so it’s even shorter than valiums?

That duraction of action they gave was for Valium Dub! This is what doesn’t make sense to me why they use valium to taper if duraction of action is so short.

3-4 hours...

That duraction of action they gave was for Valium Dub! This is what doesn’t make sense to me why they use valium to taper if duraction of action is so short.

Oops I could have been clearer.  Yes the duration of action for Valium is 3-4 hours.  Apparently it builds in the system so that at a certain point one can dose once a day.  I know many people on this site that this is true for.

It isn't true for me but I'm doing  a strange mixture of Valium and Xanax, and I've often thought my mongrel taper is what creates such a need to dose.

SS

3-4 hours...

Yes this never made sense to me either I would love someone to explain it to me. Isn’t the action of duration the most important part when it comes to withdrawal.... klonopins is 12 hours and Valium’s is 3-4 hours, yet everyone recommends switching over to Valium.

3-4 hours...

Oops I could have been clearer.  Yes the duration of action for Valium is 3-4 hours.  Apparently it builds in the system so that at a certain point one can dose once a day.  I know many people on this site that this is true for.

It isn't true for me but I'm doing  a strange mixture of Valium and Xanax, and I've often thought my mongrel taper is what creates such a need to dose.

SS

No that was my bad lol, I have very bad brain fog. You couldn’t have been more clear tnx

[99...]

why they use valium to taper if duration of action is so short

Because it's actually not! Here are the values I found after a quick search.

Benzodiazepine    Duration (hours)

Chlordiazepoxide    6-10

Clonazepam          8-12

Diazepam            10-24