Valium to Librium

[Fr...]

I tried to dose it into 3 and it made me feel worse, I went back to 2 dose after a couple of days, maybe I should of stayed on it longer

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Fr...]

• [Du...]

• [Su...]

• [dr...]

Tnx Jen, wouldn’t that be way to fast of a crossover? If K leaves body in 3 days and V takes 9 days to build up?

You can split them. Either way crossover isn’t fun.

Librium I think I have felt the best on but I am having major anxiety figuring out how to micro taper it. The capsules are so tiny I can’t get it open and worry I will spill the powder everywhere.

sorry, sxs.  i'm having a really hard time with my taper and valium.  i was only on klonipin for 2.5 weeks when this nightmare started.  :(

thanks for your info.  would you mind describing your symptoms?  i've had a lot on valium, but i'm also very sensitive to this class of drug. 

Just to chime in on my own experiences.

My Dr offered me Librium, and valium was not an option. It was between klonopin and L.  Librium was the first benzo created and the "weakest."

I had been on ativan. The L was a very slow drug compared with ativan which was like lightning. I knew I was in it only to get off the drug, so I was willing to tolerate some anomalous feelings. After all I almost lost my life to this.

The dosages for me went down in 5 mg increments until the last 10 mg. I was able to do the taper without math or cutting, or bitter liquids, or numbers flying around in my head. I think this was invaluable to me. I dosed twice a day until I got down to 5 mg, and went to once. It was not a problem.

The caps were 5 mg. After the "10 mg step" I had 1 and 2 mg pills compounded. They cost about 1 dollar a pill. To avoid the math and calculation was a godsend to me.

By going to librium I was able to visualize my situation easily because my historic dose was 4 mg ativan which was 100 mg librium. Every drop of 5 mg was a 5% drop in my historic dose. It helped my mood and kept me going.

Good luck and I wouldn't worry about those numbers and figures. I don't think they matter when compared with your own confidence and "getting used" to any drug you are on before you reject it.

I don't know what you mean by symptoms.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello  All,

I was prescribed to Xanax for 20 years by the same Dr. and slowly increased from 1mg / day up to 6mg / day over an extended time, I started my taper in April this year

and I was cut off of Xanax on 7/14 and prescribed to Valium and then to Ativan in between 7/14 and 8/14, I went through a living hell to come off Xanax I was admitted to

the hospital twice for extreme blood pressure problems all due to the Xanax, I went to see my spouses Dr. and he put me on Librium on 8/14 at 50mg per day 5mg and 10mg capsules

it took a few weeks to stabilize on the Librium, it is a very slow acting drug, I've been cutting my dose rapidly from 50mg on 8/14 down to 25mg / day as of 10/14 ( I will post a signature with my history), as of yesterday I cut back to 20mg feeling some W/D this morning however the Librium is finally proving to be a life saver coming from a heavy dose of Xanax, I will also look into a compound solution to help me taper down as I want off all Benzo's ASAP, BTW, the Valiium did not agree with me and my Dr. stated that Valium was "too strong" and he would not prescribe Valium, so in my case it was either Ativan or Librium, I'm glad that he put me on Librium.

Good Health to you All.

Hello  All,

I was prescribed to Xanax for 20 years by the same Dr. and slowly increased from 1mg / day up to 6mg / day over an extended time, I started my taper in April this year

and I was cut off of Xanax on 7/14 and prescribed to Valium and then to Ativan in between 7/14 and 8/14, I went through a living hell to come off Xanax I was admitted to

the hospital twice for extreme blood pressure problems all due to the Xanax, I went to see my spouses Dr. and he put me on Librium on 8/14 at 50mg per day 5mg and 10mg capsules

it took a few weeks to stabilize on the Librium, it is a very slow acting drug, I've been cutting my dose rapidly from 50mg on 8/14 down to 25mg / day as of 10/14 ( I will post a signature with my history), as of yesterday I cut back to 20mg feeling some W/D this morning however the Librium is finally proving to be a life saver coming from a heavy dose of Xanax, I will also look into a compound solution to help me taper down as I want off all Benzo's ASAP, BTW, the Valiium did not agree with me and my Dr. stated that Valium was "too strong" and he would not prescribe Valium, so in my case it was either Ativan or Librium, I'm glad that he put me on Librium.

Good Health to you All.

Terrlyn

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I had my last bit of K on Monday so I am still in my first few weeks trying to stabilize in Librium. K withdrawal is nothing nice but Librium seems to be such a good alternative for benzos if there is one. Valiumnwas very strong for me with awful side effects. I am interested in how you tapered. Perhaps I need to look at your signature a little.

i found tapering librium easy and gentle.

http://i63.tinypic.com/o09o95.png

That is awesome. I would love to hear how you tapered it?

[05...]

hi Jlavogt. i did a daily liquid micro taper or DLMT with an alcohol based solution.

i was taking 20 mg librium. i would cut 2.5 mg every month. i would make a 60 ml solution with a 2.5 mg tablet and cut 2 ml every day.

i started in june 2017 and by march 2018 i was tapering the last 2.5 mg. i took a break in march because i had gotten addicted to a painkiller that i had been taking for my flat feet. so i went through opiate withdrawals and resumed my taper in july and became benzo-free.

the taper was unremarkable and totally symptom free.

hi Jlavogt. i did a daily liquid micro taper or DLMT with an alcohol based solution.

i was taking 20 mg librium. i would cut 2.5 mg every month. i would make a 60 ml solution with a 2.5 mg tablet and cut 2 ml every day.

i started in june 2017 and by march 2018 i was tapering the last 2.5 mg. i took a break in march because i had gotten addicted to a painkiller that i had been taking for my flat feet. so i went through opiate withdrawals and resumed my taper in july and became benzo-free.

the taper was unremarkable and totally symptom free.

Seriously?! Symptom free. That would be amazing. How are your symptoms now off since July? I am having a lot of symptoms just begging the k To leave me alone now. It is holding on for dear life. My last K cut was Monday. Did your Librium come in capsules with powder or tablets? Are you in the US? I didn’t do so well with liquid K so not sure about Liquid L. But I only  used water with K so that may be the problem. I am sure I will have several questions for you. Do you mind sharing how long you were on L and if you were on another benzo before it? I have been sick and very tolerant on k for over a year and a half. Trying to get stable on this Librium so I can start the taper. Feel free to pm me if you would rather.

[05...]

Seriously?! Symptom free. That would be amazing. How are your symptoms now off since July? I am having a lot of symptoms just begging the k To leave me alone now. It is holding on for dear life. My last K cut was Monday. Did your Librium come in capsules with powder or tablets? Are you in the US? I didn’t do so well with liquid K so not sure about Liquid L. But I only  used water with K so that may be the problem. I am sure I will have several questions for you. Do you mind sharing how long you were on L and if you were on another benzo before it? I have been sick and very tolerant on k for over a year and a half. Trying to get stable on this Librium so I can start the taper. Feel free to pm me if you would rather.

yes, seriously symptom free. i did have benzo-belly throughout the taper but it was more a nuisance than anything else. i have been fine since being benzo-free and sometimes i rub my eyes wondering if i am in a dream or if it is actually true that i am now benzo-free.

i started with 0.75 mg xanax in 1997. in 2008 i switched to 0.5 mg klonopin. in 2012 i switched to 20 mg librium.

i had a CT from xanax in 2008 -- it was brutal

i had a CT from klonopin in 2012  -- it was worse

i was terrified of benzos and thought i'd never be able to quit them.

i got librum in tablet form here. i dissolved it in 5 ml of vodka and then added water.

i am in india. this is what my librium looked like -- https://www.cobraintpharmacy.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Chlordiazepoxide-Librium-600x405.jpg

i must add that last year i started getting tolerance withdrawals (this was before i started taper). so i started prozac. i stabilized on prozac and still take it. maybe the prozac helped me taper. by and large, i've seen here that folks tapering librium seldom run into issues.

but it is important you stabilize first. i tried tapering without stabilizing last year (before i started prozac). i could not do it -- i got suicidal as withdrawals slammed me.

feel free to ask questions -- here or PM... wherever. glad to be of assistance!

yes, seriously symptom free. i did have benzo-belly throughout the taper but it was more a nuisance than anything else. i have been fine since being benzo-free and sometimes i rub my eyes wondering if i am in a dream or if it is actually true that i am now benzo-free.

i started with 0.75 mg xanax in 1997. in 2008 i switched to 0.5 mg klonopin. in 2012 i switched to 20 mg librium.

i had a CT from xanax in 2008 -- it was brutal

i had a CT from klonopin in 2012  -- it was worse

i was terrified of benzos and thought i'd never be able to quit them.

i got librum in tablet form here. i dissolved it in 5 ml of vodka and then added water.

i am in india. this is what my librium looked like -- https://www.cobraintpharmacy.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Chlordiazepoxide-Librium-600x405.jpg

i must add that last year i started getting tolerance withdrawals (this was before i started taper). so i started prozac. i stabilized on prozac and still take it. maybe the prozac helped me taper. by and large, i've seen here that folks tapering librium seldom run into issues.

but it is important you stabilize first. i tried tapering without stabilizing last year (before i started prozac). i could not do it -- i got suicidal as withdrawals slammed me.

feel free to ask questions -- here or PM... wherever. glad to be of assistance!

Thank you so much. You give me so much hope. I have similar story with xanex and k as you and short c/t off both to try and quit. I am waiting to stabilize on Librium 30 mg even if it takes me a month or two. I am taking an antidepressant Viibryd. I have been on it a while and don’t notice much difference.Did you daily micro taper and how much per day? Or did you only do this DLMT after you got to a certain amount on the tablet? We only have it here in capsules.

I have a question for the experts.

Is the following True or False:

10mg of Librium is equal to 2.5 mg of Valium ?

10mg of Librium is equal to .25mg of Xanax?

Thanks !

T

I have a question for the experts.

Is the following True or False:

10mg of Librium is equal to 2.5 mg of Valium ?

10mg of Librium is equal to .25mg of Xanax?

Thanks !

T

10 mg Librium is 4 mg Valium. V to L is 1mg of valium equals 2.5 mg Librium.

1mg xanex is 50 mg Librium. So .25mg xanex is 12.5mg Librium

Just heard someone say symptom free and my mouth started to water lol..... doesn’t sound like many ppl switch over to Librium but seems like the few ppl that did really liked it. Surprised more ppl don’t witch to Librium instead of Valium. Did anyone find out if Librium comes in a tablet form?

No tablets in the US. It really is a smooth easy drug but getting off K is

No joke. Perhaps I need more Librium? I updosed to 30 mg which is equivalent to 12 mg V or .6mg k I am giving it a week or two and may add 5 more Librium if I am still uncomfortable. So many symptoms left me already. Just dealing with K withdrawal bad head pain, body pain and exhaustion. I am sleeping well though and mood is good.

[05...]

Jlavogt,

stabilizing is important, even if it means increasing librium or switching ADs. if you are not stabilized then the terrain will be against you when you taper.

you can dissolve capsules. newrain and oscar used to dissolve capsules in water. open the capsule and empty the powder in the glass of water and drop the capsule shell in it too. they will all dissolve. the insoluble trash (which is not librium) will be left at the bottom -- ignore it. if you want to dissolve that too (to be safe), then use a little vodka instead of water to dissolve. contact member builder for help in making a taper plan.

i tapered in a linear fashion: 2.5 mg every month... till the end.

so when i started, i was taking 17.5 mg in tablet form and dissolving 2.5 mg in 60 ml water. i would decrease the water by 2 ml or 0.08 mg every day. in a month i would have cut 2.5 mg.

if you get 10 mg capsules, you can dissolve it in 100 ml water and cut 1 ml every day -- it will take you 4 months to taper 10 mg @ 1 ml every day.

Jlavogt,

stabilizing is important, even if it means increasing librium or switching ADs. if you are not stabilized then the terrain will be against you when you taper.

you can dissolve capsules. newrain and oscar used to dissolve capsules in water. open the capsule and empty the powder in the glass of water and drop the capsule shell in it too. they will all dissolve. the insoluble trash (which is not librium) will be left at the bottom -- ignore it. if you want to dissolve that too (to be safe), then use a little vodka instead of water to dissolve. contact member builder for help in making a taper plan.

so when i started, i was taking 17.5 mg in tablet form and dissolving 2.5 mg in 60 ml water. i would decrease the water by 2 ml or 0.08 mg every day. in a month i would have cut 2.5 mg.

if you get 10 mg capsules, you can dissolve it in 100 ml water and cut 1 ml every day -- it will take you 4 months to taper 10 mg @ 1 ml every day.

This is all so good to know. I will contact you again once I am stable. I am not sure I can tolerate a taper that quickly. K has me so sick I was doing baby cuts .0005mg k a day or .015mg a month. It would be fabulous if It can get stable and am able to do a more tolerable taper. Liquid makes me nervous as I didn’t do well with liquid K in water. Let me try and get more stabile so I can try and understand this more.

Is it beads or powder in the capsules. I wonder what the active to inactive ingredient percentage is, with the tiny beads I always wonder if some of the beads are inactive and some active.

Jlavogt,

I am just curious if there i anything special about Librium that makes it different in regard to the general Ashton recommendation of cutting up to 10 percent every two weeks? I would be at about 40mg Librium which would take 16 months

[05...]

no there is nothing different about librium. librium too, like diazepam, should be tapered at 10 to 15%.

folks in BB have, by and large, found it easier tapering librium. so at best this info is anecdotal.

Outside of Ashton the only information of BWD is anecdotal and therefore very significant It's funny how some people think anecdotal somehow means insignificant Thanks for your reply