Is there an over 50 support group?

[of...]

Is there an over 50 support group. Each age group has such unique challenges and experiences. All the other decades were fine for me. This one has hit hard.

I would like to join "over 50 support http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=183629.msg2712069#newgroup".

Hi 2forone

We haven’t started a new one as of yet. There are a couple of links to some previous similar ones in this thread though. Maybe we can get them active again. Good info in there.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=53495.msg2472292#msg2472292

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=183629.msg2712069#new

Ofandon, its "sad" its an old thread. Guess noone answers an old thread. Mabye some people here will join here and "chat". Anyway Im 60 and started Oxazepam as I got sick in a rare acute condition. I wS so so scared it would happen again so I got benzo. I guess here is more people like me?

Ofandon, its "sad" its an old thread. Guess noone answers an old thread. Mabye some people here will join here and "chat". Anyway Im 60 and started Oxazepam as I got sick in a rare acute condition. I wS so so scared it would happen again so I got benzo. I guess here is more people like me?

2forone

It’s very scary the health stuff and I understand why drs put people on Benzo’s for them. I mean what else can they give people for the fear. It’s a catch 22.  What is oxazepam ?

Hi Sundance

You cold turkeyed?  How are you doing now ?

I started xanax because of a health scare too. After the scare actually. At 48 I was diagnosed with a very aggressive uncommon cancer and went through 6 months of intense chemotherapy.

Having cancer is easy, as long as it doesn't kill you. You kind of just float through on autopilot the whole time. When it's all done though, that's when it gets scary.  Especially if your cancer could return at any moment and eat you alive. (That's how my oncologist described my cancer. And I lost 50 pounds in 9 months.)

So I begged my doctor for xanax to keep me from freaking out all the time. And it worked. At the time I just figured, well, if I develop a dependency I'll deal with that when the time comes. I've quit more drug addictions than I'd like to count (3, two legal, one not so legal), so I figured quitting benzo would be along the same lines.

Oops.

Luckily I've only been on xanax for 2 years before I decided to stop. And my taper is going pretty well.

• 4 weeks later...
Is here anyone postmenopausal (my period was over five years ago)? I was wondering if benzo w/d can effect hormones in this age (Im 60)? And give any symthoms.

Is here anyone postmenopausal (my period was over five years ago)? I was wondering if benzo w/d can effect hormones in this age (Im 60)? And give any symthoms.

Hi 2forone...Yep I am and lots of postmenopausal women here. I think if you asked this as a post by itself you’d get more responses. I’m not sure how much traffic this over 50 support group idea gets.